Thank You, Gravity

Robotic Love in Traffic

That afternoon, Nick and I decide at the last minute to see a movie. I let him pick it. I really should know by now never to let Nick pick movies, because he picks Wall-e.

It doesn’t matter though, as long as he’s next to me and I can hold his hand in the dark and share popcorn with him, it’s all good. We have seven minutes and thirty seconds to get to the cinema, so we get sweaters on and hurry to the parking lot and to the car.

By the time we get there, we have two minutes exactly. We both leap over the sides of the car without opening the doors, and buy our tickets at the front. We hurry into the theater and of course, Nick has to buy food. We hurriedly buy a large Sprite Zero with two straws and a huge bag of popcorn. We scurry into the movie theatre and sit down in our seats just as it’s starting. We’re way in the back, and we have the theatre pretty much to ourselves. Which means I can kiss him without people seeing us.

“I can’t believe you’re making me watch this,” I grumble as Nick takes a sip of the soda out of his straw. Nick smirks at me victoriously, shrugging. “You’re so gay,” I laugh. The lights dim and the setting makes his features look even more adorable.

“Hey! Is that any thing to say to your boyfriend/?” Nick whispers, singing the word. I stick my tongue out at him and take an indignant, loud slurp of the sprite.

“Shut up, it’s starting.”

-------------------------------------
This paragraph kind of has a kind of spoiler for the movie Wall-e.
We don’t wind up watching the movie all that much, and by the end of it, all I know is there’s two robots named Wall-e and Eve and some midget robot thing named Mo and Eve gets taken back to the space station thing where the humans are and Wall-e follows her and then all the humans are after them, and a whole bunch of crap happens with the plant thing. And somehow, they leave peacefully.

Nice movie. But there’s something about a kid movie that after a certain age, when you’re watching it with a lover, makes for a sweet, almost magical time. Our hands never disconnect the whole time, and we share multiple light kisses on the cheek - we couldn’t risk anything heavier. So it was an enjoyable experience.

Since its kind of late and the theater is almost deserted, we go to the bathroom. He walks towards me and grabs my shirt collar, kissing my lips sweetly. I sigh in the back of my throat and kiss back, but not risking us getting walked in on with anything too deep. The press would still tear us to shreds if they knew, even though we’ve been out of the limelight for two years.

Nick pulls away slowly. “Did you like the movie?”

“I can’t believe you made me watch that,” I laugh. “You’re such a little kid.”

“You love me for it,” Nick smirks, and I know I do. We leave the bathroom and head out to the car.

--------------------------------

On the way home, it's rush-hour. The usual five-minute drive turns into a ten minute standstill at a light. I tap my hands on the steering wheel anxiously.

"What the hell is taking so long??!" I blurt out furiously, after sitting in one place for almost fifteen minutes. I slam my fist on the dashboard.

"Jesus, Joe," Nick mutters. I look at him, glaring slightly.

"You wanna drive?"

"Not really," he mutters. I raise my palms to the roof before smacking them back on the dashboard. Nick seems slightly stunned. I let out a frustrated breath and glare ahead, as the car creeps forward an inch. Not even.

"Stop being so tense," Nick tells me, placing his hand on top of the one that's on the dashboard, stopping my fingers from tapping. My hand tingles.

"We're gonna be here for a while," I mutter, unbuckling my seat belt and getting comfortable in the seat. My body's itching to move and I want to open the window and scream, but Nick's touch makes me relax. The traffic starts moving and I push gently on the gas, until the car in front of us stops unexpectedly and I slam on the breaks to keep from hitting it, cursing loudly.

"Joey, just relax," Nick tells me again, lifting out of his seat. He pecks my cheek and starts holding my hand again before he sits back down. I smile and I'd return the kiss, but just then the traffic decides to start moving. I sigh and buckle my seatbelt again, and we drive past the source of the backup - a big accident on the side of the road, tons of cop cars. I glare and flip those people off through the window, speeding through until we turn into our parking lot.

"I don't know how you got your license," Nick comments as we're getting out out of the car. "You're a wreck on wheels."

"You love me for it," I quote him.