Thank You, Gravity

Flights of Worrying

The next day, it’s time to find jobs. Joe an I go separate ways and walk through the town to find work.

-----------------
I get a job at the third store I walk into. It’s a music store, and I get a job as a guitar instructor after a lengthy interview. Right now, we have a little more than enough money for airfae and I still think we should go see Dad. Joe still doesn’t like the idea, but we can just go for a couple days and then start our jobs when we get back.

---------------

I start working that day, after calling Joe and giving him the good news. Right now he’s wandering around the streets still, looking for somewhere to work. I tell him he could work here too, but that might lead to temptations.

Now Joe and I are at home, and I’m looking up flights to California.

“You really want to go see him after the way he treated us?” Joe asks. I glance at the few bruises still on my wrist with remorse, but I nod. Joe sighs, peering over my shoulder, his mouth in a thin line. All the flights we can get soon are pretty expensive, except for the ones weeks from now. Joe stands behind me with his hands on my shoulders, looking at the screen.

Eventually we find a flight for three weeks from now, for a reasonable price. With a little regret, I buy the tickets and our flight is booked. I’m nervous to go see Dad, he probably still hates us. I sigh and shut the computer down, getting up from my seat.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Joe asks tentatively.

“I’m not sure,” I reply honestly. I subconsciously run my three fingers over my slightly bruised wrist. Joe sighs sympathetically.

“I won’t let him hurt you this time.” he touches my arm gently. I nod slightly, pulling my arm away gently as we share a kiss.

---------------------------------------

Joe and I will leave for California in three weeks. We decide not to tell Dad we’re going, all he would do is try to stop us or get mad at us. I have to admit I’m scared, and we head to Kevin’s place to tell him our plan. Yes, we call ahead this time.

---------------------------------------

“You’re crazy,” Kevin remarks. “After the way he treated you you’re going to go back there at free will?”

“We have to, Kevin,” I say flatly. “Dad was worrying about us.

“Have you called him?”

“No..” Kevin rolls his eyes.

“He’s gonna be so busy making sure Frankie doesn’t get as ‘screwed up’ as we are that he’s gonna screw him up even more,” Joe says loudly.

“No offence, but if my two sons were dating I’d try to protect the other one,” Kevin says flatly, saying the word ‘dating’ with slight disgust. This earns him a death glare from Nick and I.

Plus,” Joe says with emphasis, “I miss Frankster.”

“I still think you’re crazy,” Kevin sighs. “When are you leaving?”

“Three weeks from tomorrow,” I inform him. I’m starting to dread this trip more and more each day.