Thank You, Gravity

Angst!

"It's too early to be awake," I grumble, sliding off the couch.

"Kevin's coming in two hours and I need to shower," Joe informs me wth a yawn. I roll my eyes. Kevin. "Nick, I know this is sudden and you don't like him, but just treat him like he's welcome, okay?"

"Sure," I say, though I sigh again. I like Kevin, he's just annoying some times. Not too mention he only made Joe and I feel dirtier than we already did. We'd felt ashamed about it a year ago. Now we don't really care. I swing my legs over the edge of the couch, and Joe leans down and kisses me on the forehead. I can't help but smile.

After we take our showers and get dressed, I lie back down on the couch with the intention of sleeping for a little bit. Joe doesn't want me to be asleep when he gets here, but I eventually fall asleep when he stops trying to pull me off the couch.

And when I wake up, he's next to me. It figures. What wakes me up is Kevin knockin on the door. I sit up. "Don't be mean to him," Joe mumbles, just starting to wake up.

"I won't," I sigh, standing up off the couch.

------------------

The day goes relatively fine. Joe and I get hash browns on the way to the mall, since we didn't eat and Kevin did. I'm still wary of him being around. I used to tell him everything, and once he found out about Joe and I, I told him those things, too. Now I just never like being near him.

"How'd the thing with Dad blow over?" Kevin asks warily.

"Oh, it was just wonderful and our Catholic father is perfectly fine with his sons dating. How do you think it went?" I ask sarcastically. Joe shoots me a quick warning look with a flick of his eyes. I sigh and press my back into the car seat. "It sucked, Kevin."

"I'm sorry to hear that," he says. I don't think he really knows what to say.

"Obviously, Nicholas, Dad was trying to make it better between us." Joe looks away from the steering wheel, at me for a moment.

"He did acrappyjob," I glower.

"Why are you so angsty today?" Joe glares at me. I shake my head, dismissing the question. "Nick."

"Just drop it!" I suddenly shout. Joe raises his eyebrows at me, shakes his head and turns back to the road.

---------------------

The visit doesn't exactly go as planned. The mall for the most part is nice, but Kevin for some reason is really pissing me off today, and anything he does bothers me. I know Joe's upset with my for bitching at him, but oh well.

We're walking to the car in the mall parking lot, and we tag behind Kevin. "Nick, we need to talk tonight," Joe tells me before catching up.

----------------------

We drop him off at his apartment, and before we pull out of the parking lot, Joe turns to me. "What's wrong with you?"

"What?"

"You're so angsty today. Does having Kevin around upset you?"

"Yes, Joe, you're a fucking genius. Having Kevin around fucking upsets me. Give one to him," I say sarcastically, with an exaggerated smile.

"Why? Nick, what's the matter? I'm not starting this car until we talk."

"God dammit, Joe. You know how awkward he is around us. He doesn't like us anymore than Dad does, and he's just trying not to barf when he's in the same room as us." I turn towards the window.

Joe taps on the steering wheel. "Okay, fine. You don't like Kevin. Kevin doesn't approve of us. Who cares? He's our brother."

"Blood relations doesn't have anything to do with it! He pisses me off! He just texts you and asks if he can come over? He's considerate," I grumble, ignoring the second question.

"JesusfuckingChrist." Joe thumps his hand on the steering wheel. "He wanted to come over because he doesn't want what's left of our family to break up. Please, the next time he comes over just give him a chance. It's stupid and annoying to listen to you fight." Joe looks at me, with pleading eyes.

I look him in the eye when I bluntly speak, "This family is dead."

"Nick." Joe finally starts the car. "I understand why you're upset with him, but can you just try next time to be a little nicer to him?"

"Yeah. Okay." I agree remorsefully.