She's Not Bleeding on the Ballroom Floor Just for the Attention

Swinging

It was a good sign that my dad was happy when he got home. I was able to breathe a bit easier. I was sitting at the kitchen table, watching my parents talking to each other. I jumped when my mom let out a squeal of delight. She wrapped her arms around my fathers neck and kissed him.

"I'm so happy for you!" she said. I rolled my eyes. My mom looked at me. "Scarlett."

"Yeah?" I said.

"Congratulate your father," she said. "He just got promoted."

I looked at my father.

"Congratulations," I said in a monotone.

"You should sound a bit more grateful," my mother said, starting to set dinner on the table. I rolled my eyes yet again when no one was looking.

---------------------------------------------------

After dinner, my dad brought out a bottle of wine, and he and my mom drank it quickly. Now wasted, they were all over each other. I was in the living room, trying to drown them out with the TV. It wasn't working. I heard them making for the bedroom. I was not going to stick around for this. I turned the TV off and headed outside. I didn't need to hear my mom moan like a cheap whore. It was dark out, but I didn't care. I decided to just walk around.

After walking for a while, I came upon a park. But it wasn't empty. I could see someone sitting on the swings. Deciding it wouldn't be a good idea to stay in the park at night with some stranger, I started to turn to head home.

"Scarlett!" yelled the stranger. Ok, I guess it can't be a stranger if they know my name.

I turned around and saw the person coming closer. I quickly realized it was Ryan.

"Oh, Ryan," I said when he was closer. "I thought you were some weirdo."

"Maybe I am," he said, smiling at me. "So, what are you doing out here at night by yourself?"

"I could ask you the same thing," I said.

"True," Ryan said. "I'm here because I don't like being at my house."

"Well," I said. "We have something in common. You know why I don't like being at home, so why don't you like being at home?"

"I don't get along with my father," he said. I nodded my head.

I started to walk to the swings. I sat on one and started swinging. A minute later, Ryan sat on the swing beside me. We swung in silence, but I don't think either of us minded. We just wanted to get away from our homes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short-ish update :/ Comments?
~Sally