She's Not Bleeding on the Ballroom Floor Just for the Attention

Stranger

I turned and ran to my room, closing the door hard behind me. I hated it here. Without thinking about what would happe, I grabbed my backpack, and stuffed it with clothes and a few important possessions. I also grabbed some money I had saved. When my bag was full, I went to my window and quietly opened it. Looking around my room one last time, I sighed before slipping outside. I didn't know where I was going to go. There wasn't anywhere I could go. After walking on the sidewalk for a minute, I decided to go to the park. I was tired when I got there. I decided to sleep on a bench in the park. I was homeless now, but I was happy.

------------------------------------------------

I woke up the next morning to find some little kid look at me. As soon as he saw I was awake, he ran away to his mom. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I watched as the little boy pulled on his moms sleeve before telling her something. I saw her look my way before looking back at the boy and shooing him away. I sat there and watched as the boy ran over to the swings. My attention returned to the mother as she kept glancing at me before finally standing up. Great. She walked over to me.

"Hi," she said. "I don't mean to be nosy, but how old are you?"

"17," I said. She looked sad.

"May I ask why you're sleeping on a bench?" she asked.

"Because I have no place to go," I said. "I'd rather sleep here than at my house."

I watched as her eyes wandered over my face.

"How'd you get that bruise?" she asked. I touched my face, which I found was tender.

"I'd rather not talk about it," I said. I looked away and back at the playground.

"Fine," the mother said. "I'd like you to come to my house."

My head snapped back in her direction.

"What?" I said.

"I can't have you staying here with no food," she said. I started to shake my head. "I'm not taking no for an answer. Come on."

I obediently stood up and followed the mother as she went to get her son.

"Eric," she said. The little boy looked at her. "We're leaving."

"Is she coming too?" he asked, looking at me.

"Yes," she said. He followed his mom and I followed them as we walked away from the playground. We went to a house that wasn't too far from the playground. When we went inside the house, Eric ran up some stairs. I followed the mother into the kitchen.

"I'm Nancy, by the way," she said, smiling warmly at me.

"Scarlett," I said.

"So," Nancy said. "What would you like to eat?"

"It doesn't matter," I said.

"Do you want some cereal?" she asked.

"Sure," I said. She opened up a cabinet and got a bowl, handing it to me as she opened up a drawer and pulled out a spoon.

"The cereal's in there," she said, pointing at a cabinet. "Milk's in the fridge. I hope you don't mind, but I have to bring Eric to his babysitter's house and I have to go to work. I know you just met me, but feel free to stay here."

I nodded my head. It felt wierd that this woman was letting me, a total stranger, stay alone in her house. She left the kitchen and I opened the cabinet she had pointed at and picked out some cereal. After adding milk I sat at a table in the dining room.

"I'll be back tonight, Scarlett," I heard Nancy say before the front door opened and closed. When I was done with my cereal, I stood nerously in the kitchen. I didn't know what to do. I found the living room and sat on the couch. I saw a magazine on the table so I picked it up and started to flip through it.

"Scarlett?" I heard a male voice say. I jumped and looked at the entrance to the living room.

"Ryan?" I said.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Umm, I assume your mom, Nancy, invited me here," I said. He gave me a wierd look.

"Why?" he asked.

"I think it had something to do with the fact that I slept on the park bench last night," I said.

"Why'd you sleep on the park bench?" he asked.

"I ran away from my home," I said.

"Does it have something to do with that bruise on your face?" Ryan asked. I didn't say anything and Ryan came and sat next to me on the couch. He reached his hand out and gently touched the bruise. I flinched slightly. "Does it hurt?"

I nodded my head.

"Knowing my mom," Ryan said. "She'll probably make you stay here."

"Oh," I said.

"My dad won't be too happy about it," Ryan said, smiling. "But oh well."
♠ ♠ ♠
How bout some comments?? Nobody's commented in a while D:
Again, a reminder that this is gonna be a short story.
~Sally