The 122nd

Chapter One: The Beginning

Captain Bryan walked outside for a second, closed his eyes, and took a deep breath in. Holding his breath, he thought about his life for a moment and what had brought him to this strange new place. Indeed, a new place was a very good description of where the captain was stationed at and were it not for the adventure of exploring the unknown, captain Bryan might not be stationed here. As captain Bryan opened his eyes, he indulged in the afternoon warmth that the sun gave out. It was a sensation that reminded Bryan of the sun that would rise and shine back home on Earth. The sun here was very similar to the one back home, if not nearly the exact same. It was the least of many things that he had here on this new place that resembled the home Bryan missed so much.

After a minute of pondering, Bryan looked down at his uniform. It was an olive green color with golden buttons on the ends of the sleeve and on the chest area. On his uniform, Bryan looked at the awards that denoted him as a captain within the division. One of them was blue and was given to Bryan in recognition of his bravery for making the best decision in a hectic confrontation between his squad and a neutral band of nomads on the planet Bedapin. Bryan smiled remembering that day and the tension he was feeling as the situation looked all but lost for the worse. Back then Bryan was a sergeant and was under orders to traverse a rocky road path from one of the 291st division's border outposts back to the nearest operations base with information about the indigenous tribes who lived around the area. It was an interesting mission spying on them and checking out their lifestyles. At least until they had been detected on their way back. Bryan had gambled that they did not know of the spying mission he was ordered to do, and it payed off. The squad of green horns were nervous and itchy about the brown-hooded nomads (as they had been dubbed) who had came dangerously close with spears and bows of steel. It was his resolve that had gotten them through that day alive. He had told the nomads enough of the mission to be honest and straight forward, but not too much to be perceived as a possible threat. The result from the nomads were a lack of interest and, eventually, a peaceful departure. One that Bryan was glad of.

Those were the good old days. The days where his everyday duty was more of a fun adventure waiting to be unfolded. Since his promotion to captain, he had slowly begun to lose interest in his new rank. He had less involvement with the lower ranks and more paperwork and bureaucratic policies to take care of. It was a nice relief, though, to not have to be doing the in-and-out missions of the squads. One of the small puns of his position that Bryan enjoyed. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, or at least as bad as rumors had told him it was at other regions. Bryan was lucky to have had a superior officer who had a fond eye for him. Otherwise the fledging captain might have undergone a living hell under the control of a ruthless superior who would have worked him to the ends of exhaustion. When Bryan had heard of the mission to join the 122nd division on their expedition to colonize a new planet, he never fathomed having an opportunity to be a part of the most recent historical plans to be one of the first on the planet. When his commanding officer gave him the letter from the higher-ups, Bryan was wide eyed. Too excited for words, Bryan had nodded his head in gratitude and devoured each and every word from the higher-ups. When Bryan finished reading the letter and put in the application to be a part of the team, he knew it would be a chance to live another adventure again.

Here Bryan was, living that adventure. With a new rank comes new responsibilities, and sure enough there are plenty. Bryan chuckled at the thought of the hundreds of things that have yet to be done. It was immense, but someone had to do it and that someone had to start somewhere. Bryan breathed in the fresh air from the planet one more time before turning around and heading back inside to where his new adventure would take off.