The 122nd

Chapter Thirteen: Doorways

Bryan was dressed in his captain uniform and ready to embark on the meeting. The time read 6:30pm in his living unit. Bryan double checked that everything was in order before he went to the door and left his room. The door closed quickly behind him and Bryan was back in the hallway. Bryan made his way out of the living quarters and back onto the corridor to where the canteen could be accessed. He then made the a left toward the elevator where the east entrance to the canteen was located. He saw a group of privates with their arms around each other laughing and joking around as Bryan pushed the button requesting the elevator. Bryan stared at them as they walked out of the canteen and to the hallway from which he came from. They looked carefree and happy, without a worry in the world. They disappeared beyond the small, narrow hallway which connected the east canteen entrance and the elevator to the long corridor and Bryan turned around and waited for the elevator to arrive. It didn't take long before the doors finally opened. Bryan stepped inside the elevator and hit the two button. He was headed toward sub-level two, where the briefing rooms were located.

The elevator pulled itself up and when it stopped at sub-level two, Bryan saw the elevator doors open. Before the captain was a gray door about half the distance of the eastern entrance on sub-level three. Bryan stepped out of the elevator and it closed promptly. Bryan glanced to his left and then to his right. The same exact thing on all three sides - three doors about half the distance of the canteen entrance. Bryan hadn't been on sub-level two yet but he had studied the maps again briefly after private Mendell had given him the letter requesting his presence at a debriefing. Bryan knew he needed to be at the meeting room in under twenty minutes and he wasn't intent on being late. Bryan moved his legs forward toward the middle door and it opened automatically. His presence was already known to the door and Bryan chuckled at the thought that the door opened in fear of him. Bryan made a subtle smile and proceeded down the narrow hallway past the door. There were different types of doors within the narrow hallway on the left and the right. Bryan remembered two sets of doors within this hallway - three doors on the left and three doors on the right. He remembered the map that showed him central command on the left side and the library with the briefing rooms on the right side. Indeed, sub-level two contained very important facilities to the operation of the division and even as a captain, Bryan did not have access to the central command area.

Bryan walked mid-way through the narrow hallway until he approached two doors on opposite sides of each other. The door on the right was the one Bryan was headed to. As he faced the door, he set his eyes upon the keypad on the wall. Bryan took out his security card and slide it into the card reader. The screen went from a red to a green and beeped once. The door then opened and Bryan stepped inside before the door closed again. Inside the room was the library. It was a long room that contained many metal book cases and a couple of dark wooden tables. Books upon books filled the shelves and Bryan wondered if the metal book cases could ever be toppled down in a domino effect. Bryan entered the library and walked through the center opening which extended through the entire library, with a door exactly like the one he came from on the opposite end of the library. Before Bryan reached the end of the library where the other door was at, he saw a gray door on his right. It was the last gray door on that side and it was the one that lead into the briefing room that the admiral told him to attend. The door was similar to the ones at the elevator, so Bryan assumed his security card was not needed. Bryan walked up to it and opened swiftly, allowing him to enter the room.