The 122nd

Chapter Seventeen: Rain Check

Captain Bryan stepped closer to private Jake. Lauren, who brought Bryan to the room Jake was at, had overheard and walked out the door. As the door closed shut behind her, Bryan said to Jake "Yeah? You wanted to talk to me about something?" Jake responded "Yeah." Bryan stood there and straightened his back. He held his two hands behind his back and said to Jake "I'm listening." Jake waited a minute as he watched Bryan. Finally, after a minute of silence, he said to Bryan "I think somethings up around here." Bryan responded "Oh? What makes you think that?" Jake replied "You remember the corporal on the mission we went on three days ago?" Bryan replied "I do. He took some serious injuries and he's being taken care of in the med lab on sub-level four. Why?" Jake look at Bryan for a minute, as if waiting for Bryan to come to a conclusion on his own. Bryan said after another silent minute "Why? What are you trying to say?" Jake replied "I think they're up to something captain. I saw him conscious before they took him away. When they came - the doctors and some soldiers - I saw one of the docs drug him up with a needle. He feel right out. They took him away after that."

Bryan stared at Jake thinking about any procedures or protocols that could have possibly been broken. He attempted to recreate the scenario in his mind and Bryan didn't find anything wrong. Bryan said to private Jake "I don't see anything wrong with this picture, private." Jake exaggerated a sigh and said in a more assertive tone "Why would they take him out of the medical lab here and put him in another one for?" Bryan stared at Jake without an answer, knowing that he had a point. Jake continued and said "Think about it captain. They have lots of good stuff here to take care of the corporal but yet they transfered him to another medical lab. If you ask me, I think something is going on. They're doing something and trying to hide it." Bryan placed his hand on his chin and rubbed it gently, pondering this new speculation from Jake. He said "You have a point there. If I remember correctly, the medical lab on sub-level four is meant more for research purposes than for medical treatment." Jake's eyes seemed to have widened and he said "That's just one more reason why I'm right!"

Bryan grinned at Jake and as he did so, he noticed someone coming from the corner of his eye. Bryan looked up past the windows and saw what appeared to be a doctor walking down the hallway that forked the one he had previous traveled on to get to Jake. The doctor was holding a clipboard and walking briskly toward the end of the hallway, where the fork was at. Bryan knew he had to think of an excuse quickly before the doctor arrived. Within seconds, the door whooshed open and the doctor stepped inside, finally looking up from his clipboard and taking notice of him and Jake. The doctor glanced initially at the captain and then at the private before returning his gaze back to Bryan. The doctor appeared to be around his late forties with black hair that was beginning to turn gray in color. He was wearing a white medical suit and white slacks like everyone else in this lab must be wearing. Bryan glanced at the doctor's name tag and it read Joseph.

Finally, the doctor spoke. He said to Bryan "Excuse me sir but is there something you need with my patient?" Bryan spoke quickly, trying to hide his nervousness "I'm here to see private Jake and get an update on what happened on the mission before he sustained his injury." The doctor made a scowl on his face and said with a tone of authority to Bryan, "I'm sorry, sir, but as the doctor in charge of this patient I'm going to have to order you to leave. I will not allow stress to be put upon the patient before further studies are done." Bryan refrained from delving into the chain of command. He knew that even though Bryan was of a higher rank than Joseph, Bryan was standing in Joseph's turf. That meant that Joseph had more authority than Bryan did and pulling rank on the doctor would only have a bad ending.

Bryan smirked at the doctor and said "I'll be on my way, doctor." He turned to Jake and said "Thank you." Bryan patted Jake on the shoulder before finally walking out of the room. The door closed and Bryan followed the original hallway that Lauren had brought him from back to the entrance. Bryan inhaled deep as he stood before the door that led out of the medical lab and Bryan said to himself "Landon... what's happening to you..." He saw another doctor walk past him and Bryan decided he was done with his business in the lab. Bryan walked toward the door and it opened automatically, allowing him to leave the lab. The floors and the ceiling weren't white anymore as they were in the medical lab and it took Bryan a second to adjust to the change of color. He stood in the hallway in front of the medical lab that passed all through sub-level two and stared at the closed door opposite of the lab. It was the door leading into the command center. Bryan stared at it for minute and thought about why they would transfer the corporal to another medical lab for. The door eventually shut close behind Bryan and as he looked back to see it close, Bryan got the craziest idea in the world.

He jogged back toward the western elevator of sub-level two, determined to find out what will happen to Landon.