The 122nd

Chapter Nine: The Race

As Bryan held private Jake and dragged him further away from the battle, the sound of the guns firing from below soon lessened and the soft sound of rain began to enter his ears. Another loud scream of a monster. They were vicious creatures who seemed to want to kill them all. Captain Bryan couldn't tell whether they enjoyed killing the men or not, but something inside of him told Bryan that these monsters had a taste for blood. The sound of thunder roared outside. The constant trickle of rain slammed against the ground and the rim of the cave. It was night time outside, but the cave seemed to be illuminated by lights. Only the light from Jake's shoulder-lamp illuminated his way. The wind picked up speed since a few hours ago and seemed to give force to the rain which was already falling fast. The clouds were dark black and filled the sky. Thunder and lightning could be seen and heard.

Bryan finally had pulled Jake far enough to where they were at the narrow choke point. He carefully positioned himself and slowly began to pull them through it. It was a tight squeeze, but it only took about a minute. Before long, private Jake and captain Bryan were through the choke point. They both stood at the mouth of the entrance inside the cave and looked at the outside world. True to his orders, the drop-ship had landed outside, blowing air around and feeling the blows of the rain drops on the roof. The ramp was opened and becoming soaked with rain and on the ramp were the two privates Bryan had ordered to remain at the choke point - private Tom and Rob. Private Paterson was not seen nor was private Mike. He assumed they were inside huddling in fear and trying to dry off from the rain.

As faint and distant as it was, Bryan still heard the ensuing firefight beneath them. The roaring screams and the guns firing echoed deep within the cave. Bryan could not afford to let an injured soldier make it to the drop-ship on his own, so Bryan gripped Jake tighter and ventured out into the rain. It was windy and the cold rain hit his face like a constant shower. It was about sixty feet between them and the drop-ship. All they needed to do was to make it that far. The two of them trekked toward the drop-ship. The lights from the drop-ship were bright and were near blinding to Bryan's eyes. Added with the rain, it made for horrible visibility. It didn't matter to the captain, however, because Bryan knew that he was going to save private Jake's life. The ground was beginning to get damp from the rain, their clothes were getting soaked, and Bryan worried that Jake's leg wound would be getting worse.

After a bit of scrambling through the heavy rain, they finally made it to the drop-ship. He was immediately greeted by private Rob and Tom, who took private Jake off of Bryan's shoulders and led him into the drop-ship. Private Brandon emerged from the drop-ship and looked at captain Bryan. Bryan could see it in Brandon's eyes - he was terrified. They stood still starring at each other as Bryan continued to get drenched in the rain. Brandon stretched out his arm and said to Bryan "Come on... lets go." But Bryan knew that he couldn't leave the rest of his men behind. He wouldn't ever abandon his squad to the cold depths of the earth. Bryan looked up at Brandon and shook his head, telling Brandon he wasn't ready to go yet.
Bryan shouted to Brandon, "Tell the pilot, Christy, not to take off yet! Make sure she stays grounded private. I'm going back inside." Brandon looked at Bryan with that look that told him he thought Bryan was crazy. But Bryan justified himself and said to Brandon, "I can't leave them down there. I've got to save as many as I can. I've got to." Brandon starred at Bryan long and hard before finally nodding his head. He replied "Yes sir. I'll tell her immediately." Bryan nodded his head as he breathed in the air of the planet and dashed off back toward the cave.

Except this time it was time he was racing against, not with.