From What I've Heard

011

Hayley and Jack’s words had hit Alex and I hard. Obviously we knew our relationship was a modest amount more than your average friendship but I never realised that it looked so serious from the outside in.

After having Hayley and Jack yell at us, Alex and I went to talk. We grabbed our sweaters and went to the local ice cream bar. Alex had promised me many times that he would take me there, and now was just perfect. It was a small shop, usually filled by crazy in love teenagers and a few tourists. The red and white candy décor reminded me of old-school movies that my dad and I used to watch.

“What do you want?” Alex asked sheepishly as we made our way to the counter.

“I’m paying this time,” I smiled before stepping in front of him.

“Kota!” he whined. “That’s not fair. Remember what Hayley and Jack just spoke to us about?”

I pouted. “Alex, that had nothing to do with buying ice creams.”

“But I’m your boyfriend,” he grinned, his honey eyes glistening in the artificial light.

“Since when?” I asked but it was too late. Alex was already ordering a single banana split, which by the glint in his eyes, we would be sharing.

“You suck,” I said, poking my tongue out as we found a quiet booth, far away from the other customers so we could speak in private.

“If I sucked, you wouldn’t be here. Am I right?” he smirked.

“Only just,” I smiled gingerly.

“Thought so. Now, what do you think about Hayley and Jack’s theory?” Alex asked, a brilliant smile gracing his lips.

“I think that it was a reasonable theory,” I mumbled to the chequered table.

“As do I. So, will you be my girlfriend?” Alex asked, his voice lowering only in the slightest.

“Only if you be my boyfriend,” I smiled as our perfect moment was interrupted by the waitress delivering our banana split with a sour look upon her plastic face.

What happened next was so cliché I wanted to vomit. Alex quickly grabbed a spoon full of ice cream and fed it to me. I giggled before vanilla ice cream was placed into my mouth. I gladly swallowed it and was about to begin talking when Alex interrupted me.

“You have some ice cream on your lips,” he grinned mischievously before leaning across the table and kissing me passionately on the lips. No tongue was needed for him to show how much he loved me. He massaged his soft lips against mine for what felt like a million peaceful hours.

“Forgive me, I'm trying to find my calling
I'm calling at night
I don't mean to be a bother
But have you seen this girl?
She's been running through my dreams
And it's driving me crazy, it seems
I'm going to ask her to marry me,” Alex sang softly as he grabbed my delicate hand and pulled me outside to the beach where the perfect blue waves were lapping silently.

He then lay down on the sand, signaling for me to do the same. I copied him and moments later I felt his warm hand clutch mine and I felt safe.

Two hours later and were still lying on the golden sand, hand in hand. The ice cold water had been touching the tips of my feet for the past half an hour but I took no notice of it. The moment was perfect and would be until the end of time.

“I love you Dakota,” Alex said, squeezing my hand lightly.

“I love you too, Alex,” I smiled as the first stars shone over our immobile figures.

“Dakota. My girlfriend,” Alex repeated.

“Alex. My boyfriend.”

“Alex and Dakota.”

“Dakota and Alex.”

“Sounds perfect,” Alex smiled warmly before rolling over and kissing me lightly on the lips.

“It always did,” I murmured before kissing back as I felt Alex run his soft hands through my deep brown locks.

“And it always will.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alas, the final chapter.
I hate how cliché it is but I must cope.
Thanks to all my lovely subscribers and commenters. It's nice knowing there are a few people out there who find my stuff readable.
Much love,
Bridgett.