All You Need Is Love

Arrival

Gabrielle walked over to the window and looked out at the rain. She hated these sorts of days, those rainy grey days, those sorts of days that looked like it was night already. She glanced at the raindrops making their tracks down the window and shivered. It had been raining like this the night that it had happened. She would never forget that night for as long as she lived, sometimes it felt as though it wasn't getting any easier but she knew it was easier than back then anyway. She shivered again, checked her watch and knew that it was time to go to work. She picked up the smart grey jacket that hung on the back of a chair and put it on, straightened up the gold name badge on the top left pocket and went to the mirror in the hallway. She grabbed her make up bag that had been sitting on the hall table and applied a slash of pink lip-gloss, smacked her lips together and then tucked a stray tendril of auburn hair behind her ear. She turned to her side, checked herself once again in the long mirror brushing her skirt down as she did so, then slipped into her smart black shoes, grabbed some keys and left her flat.

It was only a five-minute drive to the hotel, she could have walked it really and she vowed that on a day when the sun was shining and the sky was blue she would walk it, but for now, with the rain lashing down all around the car and the windscreen wipers on full speed she was glad she was in the comfort of her car with her favourite Beatles song "Yesterday" playing away in the background.

She glanced out at the surrounding scenery as it flashed passed her, it was beautiful and breathtaking and Gabrielle was so glad that she had chosen to live here after all that had happened. It made sense really; it had brought her near to Pop and her childhood home and Pop often helped out with odd jobs at the hotel so she saw him often. He had also been there for her when it had happened, just over 7 years ago. Beth had also been there and what a godsend she had been, her old friend from college, her confidant and drinking partner. Beth was everything in a friend that anyone could have needed and boy had she needed a good friend and a shoulder to cry on back then.

Gabrielle slowed the car and flicked the indicator to turn left into the hotel grounds. She noticed a large car in front of her also turning left into the hotel. More guests she thought to herself, more guests to take care of and to take her mind from everything, thank goodness.

She watched the large car crawl to a stop at the front of the hotel while she herself turned into her regular parking bay. She pulled on her hand break and decided to sit in the car for a few moments until the rain had subsided slightly. Glancing in her rear-view mirror she noticed three guys emerging from their white car then the driver got out and removed a couple of sets of golf clubs and some holdalls. These must be the guys that they were expecting, Beth had told her about them but Gabrielle hadn't heard of them, they were some American band that were hot property at the moment and were on a break from touring, apparently.

Gabrielle racked her brain to try and remember the name of the band but couldn't. She had never heard of them but then she thought why would she have, as all she ever played was stuff by the Beatles, oh and those few rock ballads that she adored. She loved listening to the Beatles, they had formed a good part of her childhood and she often played them to herself, either in the car, eating her meal alone at night and even during the night when she couldn't sleep for thinking of what had happened. She loved all their songs, apart from that one song, the song by them that she could never listen to. She vowed she could never listen to it again.

The rain had eased so Gabby decided to get out of the car; she opened the door, stepped out then slammed the door shut. As she started to walk across the gravelled driveway that led to the front of the hotel she flicked the button on her keys, locking the car and enabling the alarm. The car bleeped quite loudly in the peaceful surroundings and the gravel crunched under her feet causing the three guys to glance over at her. As they glanced she caught the eye of one of them, the tallest of the three. Then she did something that she had never done in her entire life before, she looked twice. Something about the tall guy had caused her to do a double take. She looked away quickly aware that he was still looking. With her head down Gabrielle climbed the steps into the hotel, her high heeled shoes making a tapping noise as she went.