All You Need Is Love

Meg Calling

Tre opened one eye drowsily and peered around at his surroundings. A few of the candles were still burning, their flames flickering and dancing shadows on the walls. It was starting to get dusky, Tre's favourite time of the day and how better to wake at that time with a beautiful woman lying next to you.

He was desperate to wake her, to watch her open her green eyes and catch her smiling dimpled face but at the same time he was just as content to watch her sleep, to watch her breathing gently. He leant over then and tenderly kissed her freckle-topped shoulder, breathing in the delicate coconut scent of her skin. She tasted of coconut too Tre thought remembering his tongue and lips on her skin earlier.

Tre dropped back into his warm cocoon and immediately fell back to sleep remembering their first time together.

He could tell by the way she smiled and the way that her eyes lit up that she was pleased to see him but she also looked slightly shocked and he went to her then.

He wrapped his arms about her enjoying the feeling of her body against his and the way she sort of grabbed on to the back of the doctor's coat that he was wearing.

"How is he?" she asked, speaking into his chest as the fingers of one hand massaged her scalp, silken strands dripping through them.

"Frankito?" he said, his warm breath tickling the top of her head, but knowing who she meant.

"He's fine. It was just a mild case of gastro-enteritis and by the time I got home he was out of hospital and eating pizza, wondering what all the fuss was about."

"I haven't stopped thinking about you both," said Gabby looking up into his blue eyes. He had gorgeous eyes, they were beautiful. She never thought she'd ever describe a guy's eyes as beautiful but Tre's were.

Tre had beautiful eyes.

He put his lips against hers, a small gentle kiss but she pulled slightly back from him and spoke.

"How long have you got?" she asked.

Tre checked his watch over her shoulder.

"About 48 hours and 10 minutes. I fly back on Wednesday as Claudia is going away with an old girlfriend for a week and I'm going to have the kids to myself. Ramona is flying in and I can't wait," he said smiling widely.

Gabby noticed the excitement about having both his kids with him. It was glowing in his eyes. He looks so happy when he talks about them she thought.

"Well we'd better make the most of your 48 hours and 10 minutes and I don't think you'll need this doctor's coat after all," she said throwing the stethoscope aside and beginning to unbutton his coat. Her fingers were slightly trembling so he came to her aid and they unbuttoned it together then threw it to the floor. Cupping her face, he gently kissed her nose and then her lips. He moaned slightly and sighed toothpasty breath against her mouth as he could feel her fingers unbuckling his belt and pulling it free from the jeans loops. The belt clattered to the floor.

Gabby could feel Tre's firmness at the front of his jeans as she undid his zipper, her heart missing beats as she did so as at the same time he was starting to undo her blouse with those marvellous hands of his.

He kissed her lips again with molten kisses, his tongue tickling against hers and probing gently.

Her blouse was open now and Gabby shrugged it off her shoulders putting her hands up and under his t-shirt to feel his firm velvety skin. Running her hand along his back muscles she gently dragged her fingers up his spine and finally rested them at the top of his broad shoulders.

As she did so she threw her head back as he was raining kisses along her jaw and nipping gentle pecks down her throat towards the tops of her breasts where he lingered causing a flood of desire for this man to course through her body.

Tre unzipped her skirt and tugged it over her hips as his T-shirt was whipped over his head. Her bra was unclipped, panties discarded and boxers flung god knows where as he lifted her against him, her legs wrapping about his waist. He leant her against the door to take her weight his hands firmly on her buttocks and her arms wrapped around his warm taughtness.

They were both more than ready for this.

Sighing and moaning rhythmically together Tre suddenly felt Gabby shudder against him, little noises coming from the back of her throat. He soon followed suit whispering "Oh... Gabs." And as he did so dropped his head onto her shoulder, both of them panting irregularly, waiting for their breathing to stabilize.

She slid down his body but quick as anything he scooped her up and carried her to the bed treading on discarded clothing as he went. Laying her gently down he then got into the bed beside her, flinging the quilt over them both and snuggling into each other, skin against skin.

"About 48 hours now," said Gabby looking up at him once more, her face flushed and blotchy from their loving.

Tre woke again but this time he wasn't patient enough to just sit and watch her. Sitting up on one arm his mind wandered again to earlier and at how shy she seemed at their first time together but then after a while of just laying together, chatting idly she suddenly clambered on top of him and took the lead. He smiled remembering her face looking down at him.

I think I've met my match.

Blowing gently against her ear, neck and cheek he watched her rouse, stretching out her arms in front of her and turning to face him. There they were.

Green eyes.

"Hi," she said sleepily.

"Hi," was all he said back, still looking at her, and then he gently nipped her ear lobe between his teeth causing her to giggle.

Cute.

He put his hand out and gently clasped at her locket but her immediate reaction was to place her hand over it protectively. He remembered earlier when she was astride him, he had tried to reach up and take off the locket but she wouldn't just said "I don't take it off." Then she simply sighed as she settled herself onto him, her locket swinging back and forth in his face.

"Hungry?" he said looking at her.

"Hmmmm," she said sitting back on her elbows,"and I know this pub that does amazing steaks."

"How can you possibly have any more meat?" Tre playfully said.

But Gabby didn't answer, just rolled her eyes as Tre flung the quilt back and walked stark naked to the bathroom.

Gabby fell back onto the bed sighing.

That guy has some backside on him.

While Tre was taking a quick shower Gabby could hear the muffled ring of a phone coming from his jeans pocket.

She wasn't sure whether to answer it or not.

But she decided she would as it could be about his children she suddenly thought clambering quickly across the bed to where his jeans were. She leant down and rummaged through his pockets. She just caught the name flashing in front of her then it stopped before she had the chance to pick up.

Meg calling

"Doggy style huh?" said Tre rubbing a towel across his hair and looking at Gabby with cheeky eyes as he came back into the bedroom, his eyebrows doing their usual dance and water droplets smattering his upper body. She laughed at her compromising position, naked and on all fours.

"No, your phone rang; it just stopped as I got to it," she said sitting back up and handing him the phone.

"It was Meg."

"Oh... Meg," said Tre. "Just a work thing."

**

"Why the fuck do you have a car like this if you can't drive it? Women Drivers!" said Tre but knowing as soon as the words had left his mouth he wished he could have taken them back. Shit.

Gabby had just pulled out of her parking bay at the hotel and had accidentally stalled the car.

"Did you just say what I thought you just said?" said Gabby looking over at him and frowning.

Tre didn't answer, just raised his eyes and smirked as if to say sorry.

"Have you ever been driven along an English country lane?" she asked him.

"A couple of times," said Tre sheepishly. What was she up to?

"Yeah, in a fuck off huge bus I bet. What I meant to say is have you ever been driven properly along an English country lane?

"No, why?" said Tre suddenly feeling a little apprehensive.

"Because Tre Cool, rock drummer, I'm about to show you how it's done." And with that she turned away from him, put the car into gear and put her foot down on the accelerator.

Tre immediately got thrown back into the seat as Gabby pulled out of the hotel, the wheels of her Mercedes spinning as she did so.

"I get the picture Gabs and I'm sorry," said Tre, "I'm sorry I dissed women drivers," he said, his knuckles white as he held onto the dashboard.

Gabby just ignored him and concentrated on the road ahead. The road twisted and turned as she sped along the lanes, the hedges were high and blocked out any light at all from the buildings along the route. It was pitch black.

"Gabs... please slow down," he said, "you're going way too fast."

She glanced over at him and he started to panic.

"Gabby... keep your fucking eyes on the road. For fuck sake slow down."

Gabby put her head back and laughed then started to slow the car. She turned the car into the car park of a pub, pulled into a parking space and stopped. She looked over at him. He was still sitting there holding on for dear life. Touching his hands she found them to be stone cold.

"Oh Tre, I'm sorry I scared you," she said, "but... I know those roads like the back of my hand; I knew what I was doing."

"I nearly shit myself," he said staring straight ahead.

"Is this our steak stop?" he asked coming out of his scared trance. "Because I could do with a drink to go with my steak."

They both got out of the car and entered the pub, the beer fumes smothering them as they entered.

There was a log fire crackling warmly in one corner and as luck would have it a table waiting just for them alongside it.

After checking out the menu for a while, Tre went to the bar to order a couple of drinks and the food. Turning from the bar with the drinks in his hands he noticed someone sitting in his seat with Gabby.

A guy.

Skinny.

Approaching the table the guy stood up and introduced himself.

"Hi. I'm David," he said putting his hand out to Tre. Tre put down the drinks then wiped the condensation from his hands onto his jeans.

"I'm Tre," he said.

"Tre, David is Beth's husband," said Gabby looking up at both men.

"Pull up a chair, why don't you join us," said Tre ever the gentleman but really wanting to be alone with Gabby but something about the guy looked like he could do with a little company.

"Well... if you're sure," said David but he was already pulling a chair over from another table.

"Beth and I are great fans you know," said David, "we saw you here when you played The Brighton Centre, Beth is a bit of a Billie Joe fan."

"Is she?" said Gabby. "I didn't realise she liked him that much." She started laughing then took a glug of her wine. "There's not much I don't know about her but I didn't know that."

Tre noticed David give her a look that kind of said 'There's more that you don't know about Beth than you think.'

"Look I need to use the little girls room before our food arrives, excuse me a minute," said Gabby getting up from the table.

Tre noticed David watch her walk across the busy pub then he turned to Tre with a weird expression on his face.

"She's looking good at the moment, the best I've seen her in years. She let herself go quite a bit after it happened, not surprisingly. It was tough on everyone seeing her go through all that... she's so brave. You know Beth took care of her, but then that's Beth for you," said David reminiscing about his wife and missing her by the look of it thought Tre.

"Anyway... look I must be going; you two enjoy your evening," he said checking his watch. David stood up, downed the rest of his pint then said "nice to meet you Tre and uh... good luck with the rest of your tour, it must be hectic."

"Yeah.. uh... it is." Tre was still a little gobsmacked having listened to what David had said. He took David's hand that was being held out to him and they shook.

"Nice meeting you too." Then Tre sat back down, took another swig from his beer and wondered what the fuck that guy had been going on about.

He noticed Gabby stop and chat to David on her way back across the pub. He saw her smile at first at something he had said then she was frowning then a shocked expression appeared as he watched her hand fly up to her open mouth. She kissed David on the cheek and started walking towards their table looking a little pale.

"You OK Gabs?" Tre said as she sat next to him.

"Um.. not really. David just told me the real reason why he left Beth."

"Oh?" said Tre. "Is it different from the reason she told you."

"Actually she's never really given me a reason. At last I know and I'm shocked by it."

"Can I know this shocking reason?" said Tre leaning in closer to her.

Picking up her wine glass Gabby took a sip of her wine then turned to Tre with slight amusement in her eyes.

"The reason he left her was because, well, he came to meet her at the hotel one night, thought he'd surprise her early as he wanted to take her out somewhere on the way home for a meal and then he found her, well, let's say he found her in a compromising position."

"And?" Tre said knowing that there was more to this. "Come on Gabs, you have to tell me," he said, "what kind of compromising position?"

"Well... his exact words were I found her on your desk on all fours with Nick, who's our ex chef by the way and... Nick was giving her one from behind."

Tre's eyebrows had never moved so fast.

It was Wednesday after lunch and Tre had only an hour left before the taxi came to take him to the airport. They were clearing up the lunch dishes and the mood had been quiet when Tre suddenly spoke. He was putting some glasses away in the cupboard and as he closed the cupboard door he said simply.

"Come back with me."

"What?" said Gabby dropping her towel on the floor as she turned in surprise.

"Come back with me," he repeated. He was leaning against the kitchen worktop just looking at her, waiting for her response.

"Now? I can't now."

"I'm not saying right now but may be in a couple of days. Come for this weekend, meet my kids, I want you to."

Gabby hesitated.

"I'm not sure... the hotel."

"Beth can manage the hotel, you know she can. Although she may get through a few chefs while you are away, better make sure your desk is stable enough." He said raising his eyebrows in the way that she had grown to love.

"Tre," she said scoldingly throwing the towel at him. He had his arms folded across his chest which made his arms look even bigger than usual. Her stomach flipped suddenly.

"I've put all my details into your phone, all my numbers and my address, just in case you decide you will come out," he said.

"Oh, did you now?" Gabby said going to him. He was irresistible just standing there with his tight t-shirt, jeans and bare feet.

Going to him she put her hands out onto the top of each of his arms and gently ran her thumbs up under his t-shirt sleeves.

Most definitely irresistible.

They'd not long ago showered together and he'd just towel-dried his hair and it was flatter than usual and fluffy as it hadn't yet had any of his gel treatment. Gabby couldn't resist reaching up her hand and just letting her fingers comb through it back and forth a couple of times.

She looked up at him.

"Thanks for a great 48 hours and 10 minutes," she said with a smile then reaching to kiss him gently on his pouting lips she grazed her cheek across his slightly stubbly one. She finally rested her cheek on his shoulder as he wrapped his strong arms around her waist. He kissed the top of her head and murmmured into her hair.

"I'm glad I came back."

They both thought back then to the time they'd spent together. They hadn't had long together and the time had gone so fast but it had surprised both of them how well they'd got on, the laughter they'd shared here in the cottage, away from the real world.
Like it was their little pod.

Two peas in a pod.

The only time they'd left the house was to walk the dogs, swim naked in the icy sea and make love on the sand under the stars even if Tre complained that sand would be coming out of his butt crack for weeks. They'd hardly got dressed, they'd bathed together and played strip scrabble which ended up with a frenzied love making session on top of the scrabble board, the tiles sticking to Gabby's butt.

She'd never be able to play scrabble again she had said to him afterwards without remembering that moment.

They'd finally had their wine gum challenge and Tre won, managing to get 17 wine gums into his mouth, much to Gabby's annoyance. She'd actually sulked for half an hour afterwards which Tre thought was absolutely hilarious.

Then Tre remembered she said she'd give him a hand massage when he was here before. Reluctantly she'd agreed but didn't get to finish it as... well... something about his hands just turned her on. They'd ended up on the kitchen floor, and she was able to watch those marvellous hands as they roamed her body.

Later she'd finished off his hand treatment by neatly painting his fingernails black. Tre insisted on painting hers too but his effort was a little clumsy and she didn't have the heart to take the polish off so she just wore it, lumpy bits of nail polish, slightly smudged in places.

So that was there 48 hours and 10 minutes together.

"Are you all packed and ready?" she said cuddling him tightly to her.

"Yes," he said, "my bag is out in the hall."

"Oh... that reminds me... I have something of yours upstairs." And she pecked him on his nose and left the room.

Watching her go, Tre kind of wished he could tell her.

That he was in love with her.

He had realised yesterday when she had her mouth crammed full of wine gums her eyes shining brightly at the fun they were having.

That was the very moment he realised he loved Gabby.

Walking upstairs Gabrielle felt disappointed in herself because the opportunity hadn't arisen when she could tell him everything. She wanted to but they'd had such a great time together she didn't want to put a dampener on things.

It would just have to wait.

Tre turned to the CD player that was sitting on the work surface of the kitchen and idly popped out the disc. It was the Beatles' Number 1's. Of course it would be, what else? He smiled to himself.

He searched for the song he wanted, the song title of which she'd had tattooed in beautifully ornate writing on the base of her spine. All. kiss You. kiss Need. kiss Is. kiss Love. kiss.

He smiled remembering kissing each individual word as he pressed play on the CD player.

Gabby couldn't quite hear the music as she approached the kitchen. But the realisation of what he was playing soon kicked in.

"Love, Love, Love."

Dropping the bag that she was carrying she put her hands up to her ears and spoke.

"Love, Love, Love."

"Please turn it off," she said but her pleas fell on deaf ears as the music was quite loud and Tre had his back to her.

"Love, Love, Love."

"Tre!" shouted Gabby. "Please."

"There's nothing you can do that can't be done."

As he turned he saw the stricken look on her face and frowned. She looked like she'd seen a ghost.

"Nothing you can sing that can't be sung."

"Gabby, what is it?" he said.

"Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game. It's easy.."

"JUST TURN IT OFF!" she shouted at him.

"Nothing you can make that can't be made."

"I can't hear you properly Gabs. Do you want me to turn it off?" he said questioningly. He thought that's what she was saying.

"No one you can save that can't be saved.."

"Yes for fuck's sake," she snapped at him.

"Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time. It's easy..."

She was angry now but had tears in her eyes, her face ashen white. She turned then and left the room.

"All You Need Is Love."

Tre fumbled around for the 'stop' button. By the time he'd turned the music off Gabby had disappeared. Tre checked all the rooms downstairs then noticed the front door was swinging open.

She must have gone out.

Which way? He thought looking to the left and right as he stood outside the cottage.

But there she was, right in front of him, down on the beach by the water's edge, the waves crashing white foam near to where she was standing, her long auburn hair whipping about her and her arms wrapped tightly about herself.

Shit. What the fuck was all this about?

He went to her, he had to because he loved her and... well... he couldn't just ignore her.

He went quietly and stood next to her noting the pained look on her face, so different from how she'd looked over the past couple of days.

"Gabby?" he said. "What is it?"

She didn't look at him and for some reason he couldn't put his arm about her and comfort her even though she was crying out for some sort of comfort.

What the fuck was it that she was keeping from him?

Suddenly there was a sound of a car horn coming from up near to the cottage.

"Your taxi," said Gabby turning to him and looking at him with huge saucer eyes full of tears, black mascara streaks trailing down her cheeks, her nose red.

He reached into his jeans pocket and pulled out a hanky and passed it to her.

"Gabby... I have to go," he said.

"I know you do," sniffed Gabby into his hanky.

"But I don't think I can leave you like this," he said. But he had to.

Gabby sniffed again.

"Tre, I'm fine. I'm sorry, it's just that... I hate that song. That's all."

"It's not all though is it? What is it that you're not telling me? This isn't just about a song. I thought you adored the Beatles."

The sound of the horn again.

"Gabby?" questioned Tre, slight annoyance in his voice.

"You have to go," she said and turned away from his gaze.

"Yes I know I do," said Tre.

He kissed her cheek then but the moment felt awkward.

"Gabby?"

"Hmmm."

"Thanks for the wonderful 48 hours and 10 minutes," he said trying to get some sort of reaction from her.

Nothing.

She just stared straight ahead, her mind elsewhere.

The horn again.

"Look I really have to go," Tre said,"bye Gabby."

Still no reaction.

Tre turned to walk back up to the cottage.

"Tre. I'm sorry," Gabby said turning to face him, he had his back to her.

He stopped in his tracks then turned.

He shrugged. "Gabby I have a flight to catch."

"I know."

You have kids.

He winked gently at her then turned and walked back up to the cottage. He didn't look back at all, just strode away, head down and hands in his jeans pockets.

Tre grabbed his bag from the hall, his leather jacket from the coat hook and slipped on his trainers.

He hadn't even got to tell her.

In the taxi to the airport he sat in the back as he couldn't be bothered with idle chit chat with the driver. He bit his nails, ruining the effect of the perfectly manicured nail polish, various thoughts running through his mind, voices echoing through his head.

"Why do you always pick the ice maidens?"

"She's looking good lately, the best I've seen her in years."

"If you want to find anything else out about Gabby, you'll just have to ask her. I'm sure she'll tell you when she's ready."

"She let herself go quite a bit after it happened."

"She's so brave."


What the fuck thought Tre as the taxi sped off in the direction of the airport buildings, people and other cars flashed past but Tre was in his own little world.

Suddenly the shrill sound of his phone broke into his thoughts.

Perhaps this was her.

He flipped it open to check who it was.

Meg calling.