All You Need Is Love

Decisions

Holding back the curtain Gabby looked out at the view. Her view. She loved it here, always had; she loved the many changes in colours, the colours of the sky and the sea, the greens, blues and greys. She loved it but dropping the curtain down, she walked away from the window knowing what she had to do.

--

Tre didn’t know what to feel, he felt numb but getting this note had made the decision for him. He went to Gabrielle’s locket then and opened it up and there, in his hand were two things. On the left a little blonde boy possibly about the same age as Frankito and on the other a lock of blonde hair that presumably was his.

--

Walking up the drive Gabby could hear the laughter and squeals of the children inside the house. The front door was decorated with a bunch of balloons in different shades of pink. It was to be a pink party but Gabby hadn’t had anything pink to wear so decided on a pair of jeans, black t-shirt and wore pink beads and earrings, with pink bangles adorning her arms. She was also carrying a pink parcel with the latest Barbie inside.

The doorbell pinged but she wondered if anyone could hear it above the noise so she rang it again, a couple of more times until a flush faced Beth answered, cheeks pink from running about after all the little angels Gabby thought.

“I’m not late am I?” said Gabby concerned, she was sure Beth had said three o’clock.

“No, some of the kids arrived early,” said Beth rolling her eyes and moving aside so that her friend could step in. Gabby had forgotten the last time she was here, ages ago, years ago before it had all happened.

And then she saw Lily, Beth’s beautiful daughter, a miniature version of Beth with her pale skin, blue eyes and jet black hair cut into a sharp bob. She’d grown but of course she had, she wasn’t the little chubby fingered toddler that she was the last time Gabby had seen her.

“You’re Gabby aren’t you?” said the bright eyed girl who was still full of energy it seemed.

“I am,” Gabby said, “ and a happy birthday to you Lily,” said Gabrielle bending down to the girl who was looking at her, trying to remember. Gabby handed her the parcel and Lily took it gratefully. “Thank you,” she said, wide-eyed.

“Can I open it now mum, please,” said Lily looking up at her mother with the similar eyes.

”You’ve got a house full of friends Lily, why don’t you leave it until later on when everyone has gone?” she said.

“Please, mum, just this one.”

“OK but then you have to go and see you guests, they’ll wonder where you are,” said Beth watching her daughter rip off the beautiful pink shiny wrapping paper from the present then her eyes widen as she took in the latest Barbie that she’d hoped she’d get.

“Thank you so much Gabby," said Lily running over to Gabby and hugging her tight and then she was gone, gone to show her friends the new Barbie and Gabby and Beth were left in the now quiet hall with a small amount of pink paper scattered over the floor.

“She’s beautiful,” said Gabby bending to get the paper. “Does she remember me at all do you think?” Gabby looked at Beth.

“We had a conversation earlier and I told her you were coming and I told her what happened.” Said Beth, “come through,” she said heading off to the kitchen. “She said she recognised your name and then she asked to see some photographs of you and of course I had to explain because little Ja….”

“Gabby!” said a voice. David.

“David, hi,” said Gabby. “How are you?”

“I’m fine thanks,” said David coming over and pecking Gabby on the cheek.

Just then three children came hurtling into the room and Beth got them some drinks from the fridge.

“Beth, do you mind if I go outside? I’ll come and help you in a moment its just that there is something I need to ask David,” Gabby said but practically on her way out of the kitchen anyway.

“Of course,” said Beth frowning at her best friend and her husband who she was no longer with head out into the garden.

--

“Are you OK Dad?” Said Ramona peeping her head around Tre’s bedroom door noticing the open locket on the bed along with the brown envelope and its contents.

“I think so,” said Tre, “but there’s something I need to do, come here,” he said ushering his daughter over to him. “There’s something I need to say to you and show you,” he said putting his arm around her.

--

“So that’s it,” said Gabby, “are you up for it?” she said.

“Gabby it sounds ideal to me,” said David running his hand through his hair. He looked excited about what Gabrielle had told him. “In fact, it sounds perfect,” he said.

--

The children were leaving the party and the house was suddenly dead quiet. Lily was opening some of her presents with her father and Gabrielle stood with Beth as she waved the last of the guests out.

As Beth closed the front door she turned to Gabby.

”What on earth were you saying to David? What were you talking about in the garden? Did you ask him about his Barbie doll,” she said whispering.

“I did. I said that Lily had seen him kissing a blonde lady and he told me it was a neighbour who did his ironing and a few other chores for him. She kissed him apparently, she’d been after him for a while. There’s nothing in it,” she said as she watched her friend storm off to the kitchen.

“I don’t know Gabby, why would Lily say she saw him kissing her?” She said getting a roll of plastic black sacks from a drawer and ripping one off.

“Because little girls see things differently and that’s what she saw. I believe him Beth, he’s telling the truth he said there isn’t anyone else.”

But Beth didn’t speak just aggressively threw paper plates, cups and napkins into the black sack. Gabrielle went to her and held the bag open.

“Beth, look at me, I believe him, and you have to too.”

I know but it’s hard, I don’t want anyone else to have him. I want him for myself but I don’t think he wants to come back.”

“Come here,” said Gabby hugging her friend. She wished she could tell her friend the decision that had been made but she wanted it to be a surprise.

“Hey, you two want any help?” Said David entering the kitchen.

“I could do with a hand,” said Beth.

“Listen, I know it’s a cop out but…there are some American guests checking in this evening and I’d like to be there to greet them,” Gabby said.

“Its OK,” said Beth rolling her eyes then looked over at David. David’s going to help me clear up, aren’t you?” She said smiling up at her husband.

“Do I get a choice?” said the skinny guy staring at Beth and Gabby could see he still loved her by that one look.

“Nope,” said Beth handing David a wiping up cloth.

“I’ll go while I can,” said Gabrielle grabbing her jacket.

--

“I’m so pleased you came to visit,” said Gabrielle to the couple that she had met in California, Jan and John.

“We nearly didn’t make it. Did Tre mention to you that our daughter has decided to up and leave, she never liked working at the hotel at all and has decided to go off travelling before she gets too old,” said John taking the key card from Gabrielle.

“Yes he did mention it,” said Gabrielle and he’d felt sorry for the old couple who were about to enjoy their retirement.

“She’s staying on for another month, knowing we were having this break and then she’s upping and leaving us to get on with it. Still, we’re going to enjoy this break aren’t we John, we’re going to make the most of it.”

“Well if you need anything, you know where I am and your meal tonight is on me. You were so good to me when I came to your place I’d like to say thank you.” Said Gabrielle smiling at this lovely pair.

“Why thank you Gabby, that’s so kind of you. We knew Tre had found a good one in you,” Jan said following her husband over to the elevator where the porter was already waiting with their suitcases.

Yeah thought Gabby but would he think the same when he finds out what I’ve kept from him.

As she watched the doors close she heard another American voice.

“Hi, my names Meg Russell and I have a room booked here,” then she glanced at Gabrielle’s name badge, “and you must be Gabby. Good to meet you.”