Hammers and Strings

"Wait"

I saw Bill grab the shotgun from his side. He pointed it up at Chiz, who raised his eyebrows, his arms shooting up into the air. "Dude, calm down!" Bill and I looked at each other, and then turned our heads back to him. Kate and Butch stood up, standing right in front of Chiz.

"He's not a zombie. He was just messing with us." I jumped up to slap him, but Bill held me back. "But..." Butch's voice trailed off. Mike leaned back, ass planted on the bench. He took a long drag from his cigarette. As he released the smoke from his mouth, he slowly said:

"Sisky was bitten."

Sisky.

He was the only one missing.

Along the side of the truck, the growling noises and clawing sounds grew louder. We all hoped they wouldn't harm him, but we couldn't see what was going on. All of a sudden, there was a sudden jolt, and the truck took off in a hurry. Butcher, Kate, and Chiz stumbled back onto the benches, while Bill and I gripped the metal seats. Bill placed the shotgun on the floor, setting it on "lock." Mike just continued to smoke his god damned cigarette, before Kate grabbed it and stomped on it.

"No need for violence," he said, frowning at his now ruined Marlboro. "You owe me a new one." Kate rolled her eyes. I looked over at Bill, who was twiddling his thumbs. I elbowed him, and he stopped. He smiled weakly.

I was pretty sure all of us were praying for Sisky to still be alive, zombie or not.
__________

"Fuck, Butcher! You shot me in the ass!"

"Deal with it, Mike. Take it like a man!"

"...Guys, how do you shoot?"


"Keep working on it, Chiz." Bill and I were trying our best to hold back our laughter. "Hey, how's Sisky doing?"

We heard a growl come from the other line, and someone fired at Bill. "Calm down, man," Bill warned, taking a couple shots at Sisky.

"You guys really need to go outside. You've been playing that stupid game for three flipping hours!" Kate sounded exasperated. Poor girl; we've pretty much been playing this "stupid game" ever since everything became semi-normal. Sure, some of the buildings had collapsed, but things were running.

Butcher's character stopped moving, and I heard some giggling and muffled noises.

"Ugh! Get a room!"

"Oh my God, make it stop!"

Grumble!


Bill paused the game. "Do you want to go get something to eat?" He squeezed my hand as I glanced at the clock: 1:40. I shrugged, hearing the guys wail as Butcher and Kate were having fun. I took off my headset, and Bill did the same. We stood up, and he wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"This isn't a date." I grabbed my keys and my leather jacket.

He kissed my nose.

"Oh, I'll fix that."