Status: Is actively being written. Just really really slowly.

Love, Lacey

Dog Night

“Ray! Yo, Ray!” Lacey whisper-shouted into the night. She shivered and pulled her, thin, blue sweater closer around her in an effort to shield herself from the frigid November air. This was the only thing she hated about her midnight flights; the waiting in the bitter cold for what felt like hours.

Finally, Lacey heard the door creak open, and the lanky, scraggly night guard stood before her.

“Lace? That really you?” he asked, his deep voice crackling from what Lacey assumed was sleep deprivation.

“The one and only. Now let me in. My toes are numb,” Ray chuckled and stepped aside, allowing enough space for the girl’s small frame to slip inside. “How’s Adie doing?” she asked as she set her backpack down on a nearby counter.

“Ever since they Billie Joe got adopted, she’s been clinically depressed. Poor old girl hasn’t eaten or played with anyone else for 4 days. And to top it all off, she hasn’t seen her favorite mommy since,” Ray explained, pulling up a chair next to Lacey.

“Now I feel bad. Is she still up? Think maybe I could see her?” Ray nodded and disappeared, returning with a huge chocolate lab who, upon seeing Lacey, tackled her and smothered her with licks. “Oh, I missed you, too, girl!” the girl chuckled as Adie ran around her in circles. The night guard simply sat and smiled happily at the scene. Girl and dog, so happy together. So lonely apart. He could see the similarities between the two, as clear as day; both dark-haired beauties, both abandoned by their families, albeit in different senses. It was no wonder they so quickly bonded, ever since that first day they met.

“Lace, have you ever thought about adopting Adie?” Ray asked suddenly. “I mean, I’d hate for her to go home with anyone but you. I don’t think her poor little heart could take it.”

“I keep telling you, if I could I’d do it in a heartbeat, but my mom hates dogs. She thinks they’re filthy. But she hasn’t met my Adie-Wade, has she? No, she hasn’t!” The dog jumped with joy with the sound of the nickname. Ray chuckled as he watched the dog stand up on her hind legs, easily becoming the same height as the girl, and licking her face with reckless abandon. He watched her face light up with joy, and, despite the happy scene, he felt his heart break a little. These moments could be cut short at anytime. As soon as an 8 year old brat took a liking to Adie, it’d all be over. Such was the way the pound worked. He sighed took a sip of the Coke he had opened and forgot about, too absorbed in the love fest.

“Adie, baby, Mama has to go,” Lacey said, checking her phone. It nearly 2: 30 am and her mother would be leaving for work in less than two hours. The dog whined and stared up into the girl’s eyes with sadness. “I know, honey. I’ll miss you, too. But I promise, I’ll be back to see you tomorrow. Ok?” she scratched Adie behind the ears, hoping to ease the parting for the lab. It worked, but only slightly. Adie still knew her favorite person was going to be leaving soon.

“Come on, Adie. Let’s go back to bed. You look so tired, big girl,” Ray jumped out of his seat and pulled the giantess lab back to her sleeping area. “Lace’ll be back tomorrow,” he promised, shooting a look at the girl in question.

“Of course I will. What kinda mama would I be if I didn’t see my baby on a regular basis?” Lacey smiled. She watched man and dog, run towards the back of the building. With one final look back, she slung her bag over her shoulders and made her way back home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. You know I love y'all. This one just took awhile.
Yeah, I named the dog after Adrienne Armstrong. Sue me.
THis may seem like filler, but it's not. It does play a role in the larger story. You'll see more of Adie and Ray as the story progresses.