Status: Is actively being written. Just really really slowly.

Love, Lacey

Starbucks Smackdown

"Oh my God, Beth did you see that chick outside walking into the Hot Topic? What a gothic freak! Her hair looks like a rainbow threw up on it then it got blasted with black spray paint. Ew!” Shayna Cole whined from her place in line at the local Starbucks.

"Yeah. Ugh, why are people like them even allowed in shopping centers? Maybe they should start taking fashion advice from you, Amy!", answered her fellow lackey, Beth Wilson.

"Of course, ladies. If I ever pull a Lohan, free fashion tips should be part of my community service!” joked Amy.

"Well, that's too big of a project to think about now. We're up next and I still don't know what I want.” complained Beth, "I hear they have a new drink called 'espresso truffle' or something. But it’s probably loaded with calories and fat. Think I could get it with skim milk and sugar-free chocolate syrup to make it better?"

You'd have to get it with air and anorexia to not gain any more weight with it. Amy thought to herself.

"You so don't have to worry about that stuff. You're stick think anyway.” Amy spoke. The eldest popular girl rolled her eyes and continued staring at the menu, as if she didn't already know what she was getting.

"I think I'm gonna get the Pumpkin Spice Latte. What about you, Amy? Feeling dangerous today?" Shayna offered.

"Seriously! How can you be satisfied getting the same freaking thing every time we come here?!" Beth exclaimed, examining a particularly delicious looking scone.

Amy thought about her usual Fat-Free Vanilla Latte, and while it sounded slightly revolting at the moment, she would order it nonetheless.

"I'm a stickler for routine." That's why I hang out with you dumbasses all the time.

"You must be.", Shayna sighed, clearly bored with the conversation, her mind wandering to the cute guy behind the counter.

"Hmm, I think I'm gonna get a pastry too. And a cookie..." pondered the overweight Beth. (Or at least overweight by popular standards)

"Are you sure you wanna do that Beth, honey?" Amy feigned concern.

"Yeah. Cookies alone are 3 bucks." added Shayna. Someone must be eating for two.

"And Lord knows those pastries are like a walking muffin-top!" the leader of the group added Not that you don't have one already.

"Geez you guys, maybe I'm just hungry!", shouted Beth in frustration and slight embarrassment. Just because they're anorexic doesn't mean I can't have a normal appetite.

Amy groaned, not wanting to have to deal with Beth and Shayna’s incessant arguing. “Just order, hon. No fighting today."

The three girls loudly chatted and walked over to their comfortable booth in the back of the cafe. Amy began lamenting about her first day at work, sighing loudly after every word and being entirely overdramatic. Beth and Shayna both exchanged bored glances as they continued to nod in agreement with Amy.

"And as if that's not enough, some fucking gross Hippie kept yelling at me and some dog humped me!"

"Oh my God hun. That's awful!” exclaimed Beth. So what if the fucking dog humped her? She so needs to get over herself.

"I know! I fucking-", Amy stopped short, "think we should move tables."

"Huh? Why?" Shayna inquired, snapping out of her fantasy involving Starbucks Counter Guy and a beach in Tahiti.

"Yeah what’s up with that, Amy?" mumbled Beth as her mouth was full of blueberry muffin and Espresso Truffle coffee.

"Just-there's gum under this table." the distracted girl spoke as she was already out of her seat. Truth be told, Amy had just spotted Lacey and...her boss, with her? She was only slightly interested in finding out why the hell this was happening; instead she focused on the quickest escape route.

"Oh, gum? That's a good reason to move tables." Beth returned quite sarcastically.

"Come on Beth, let's just move. If Amy wants to then we will," Shayna groaned. Beth always wanted to question Amy’s authority. In reality, she couldn’t give a fuck, but it jeopardized her popularity. By appearing as the loyal, idiotic lackey, she assured a place in Amy’s group and that was all that mattered to her.

Shayna was the last to get up, and just as she was scooting over to the next table, she noticed who had just arrived. With a wicked grin on her face, she pointed out the newest additions to the store's customers to Beth and they both approached them.

Ray and Lacey had just finished ordering their coffee-a Venti Chai Tea Latte for her and a Venti White Chocolate Mocha for him-when two teenage girls started toward them, one was tall and lanky, the other tall and...Not so lanky.

"Well look who just walked in, girls. Aww, it looks like the Freak has a friend! He must be mentally challenged..." Shayna said, scoffing at her own lame insult.

"Eww! He looks like a rat on two legs!" added the more curvacious popular.

"Oh God, please, not now", Lacey silently pleaded to herself.

"What's the matter, Lace?" Ray asked sympathetically, unaware that they were making fun of him. He didn't know just who these girls were and what kind of damage they were capable of doing.

"Just some chicks from school," Lacey whispered to her friend.

Lacey turned to the crones standing before her and directed her attention to the one still holding her muffin.

"Where's your master? Don't you have to clean her ass or something?" spat the feisty brunette, hoping her outside demeanor covered the absolute terror growing inside her.

Amy remained quietly at their table and listened. She was gritting her teeth in anger as that Bitch was letting out insults at her "friends". She wanted badly to march right up to her and tell her what everyone thought of her, but decided against it. She didn't want to cause any more drama right now, let alone deal with its aftermath. Plus, her new boss was with her. The last thing she needed was to get even closer to the top of his Shit List.

"Oh look Shayna! Hippie boy must be baked", Beth sneered as the dark haired man let out a small chuckle.

"Either that, or he got a good look at Lezzie's face, " Shayna added.

Both girls laughed obnoxiously drawing a few looks from others in the shop. It took some real self-control, but Amy finally decided it was fight or flight and she would choose the latter. Lucky for her, the people in the booth behind her were getting up to leave, so she would try to hide behind them. Even luckier, it appeared as though they were leaving out of the doors more towards the back of the rather large cafe. She cautiously got up and ducked behind the group of four and was safely out of the shop. The bitter cold embraced Amy's slight frame and she shivered violently. It occurred to her that she left her coffee in the store and mentally backhanded herself. All those thoughts dissipated, though, as she slid into her red VW Bug and started up the engine. She had to be gone before anyone could notice. In a New York second, she was out of there, tires screeching against the frozen October streets. However, the altercation at the Starbucks was barely beginning.

*

Lacey was used to these whores constantly making fun of her. But Ray hadn't done anything, and she wasn't gonna let them stomp all over him with their half-ass attempts at humor. She decided to change her tactic.

"Hmm, you know Beth, you've been looking great lately," Lacey smiled as she spoke. Her sudden change in demeanor was surprising to everyone, mostly Ray. He never thought of Lacey as a kiss ass.

"Don't you mean always?" Beth laughed, a smug look gracing her face. What was this Loser's problem?

The younger girl cringed, trying to resist the snarky remark that would naturally flow through her lips.

"Well when you put it that way, yes, I guess so. I really think you should go for that modeling contract you're always talking about", she spoke with great enthusiasm.

"You really think so?" Beth inquired. I might as well let the Freak think I care about her opinions.

"Totally! My mom has a friend who works for the Macy's Modeling Company. They have a great new line of plus-size clothes for the winter season! I'm sure they'll love the 30 pounds you've gained...unless the maternity section is more suited for you in your current condition", the smaller young woman giggled. Beth looked furious and Shayna was almost the same. Ray, however, was practically choking on his laughs.

"That's burning your ass", he managed to spit out.

Shayna decided to pipe in.

"You wanna talk, bitch? Fine, let's talk about your what, 40 year old boyfriend here? How much did you have to pay him to want to be seen in public with you?"

"Maybe it's really a dyke. It’s hair's long enough. And we all know what team Loser here bats for", the plump girl retorted. Lacey blushed at the attack on her best friend (and her orientation) and let loose.

"At least Ray doesn't have to fuck everything and anything that moves just to get what he wants. And even if he were a chick, he'd look more like one than both of you together, boob jobs and all," Lacey growled.

Shayna had gotten tired of listening to such a pointless argument. Where was Amy? Why hadn't she come in by now?

"Ugh, we're not gonna sit here and listen to your pathetic ranting. Come on Beth, let's go." She grabbed Beth's arm and dragged her out of the store.

"You'll pay for that, bitch!" Beth sneered.

"What are you gonna do, Beth? SIT ON ME?!" Lacey shouted, laughing.

"Fuck you!" Beth angrily yelped.

"No, thanks! I don't fuck girls who could kill me if they were on top!"

Beth was about to claw Lacey's eyes out at that point, but was stopped when Shayna grabbed her by the collar and pulled her out the door. But not before flipping both Ray and Lacey off and giving them a death-glare.

Lacey slunk into a chair and sighed.

"Wow....," Ray said in amazement and amusement.

He peered out the window to see Beth and Shayna standing on the sidewalk, a baffled look on their faces, staring at the parking spot previously occupied by a red VW Bug that was now empty. They shook it off, though, and headed to a blue Camry. He turned his attention back to Lacey who looked a little down.

"Hey," he said and Lacey looked up from her daze, "That was really awesome. What happened just now, I mean. You totally gave them a verbal beat down, if I do say so myself!"

"I guess", Lacey replied almost apathetically. Where had all those words come from? Normally Lacey was intimidated whenever Beth or Shayna or Amy taunted her. She'd just sit back and take it. Why did she suddenly have the guts to stick up for herself?

Her thoughts reverted back to the overall outcome, though: even after all the fighting back and defending she had done, and even though Shayna and Beth really did get quite the beatdown, they still won.

"What's wrong, Lace?"

She proceeded to tell Ray just what she had been thinking and about Beth and Shayna and Amy.

"-even when they lose, they win. I may have gotten them this time, but they will get me back twice as bad at school. They always have the upper hand; they always have the last word. Even when I defend myself like I did today, I'm still the same intimidated girl that they will continue to pick on for the remainder of our natural lives. It's what they thrive on," Lacey lamented to her only friend. He listened, and expressed his own frustration.

"What bitches. They're all bitches. What the fuck is their problem? You never did anything to them! Who do they think they is, going around starting shit with people they don't even know? Those little whores she has following her every move and fighting their queen’s battles. Ugh!" the upset young man ranted. Lacey couldn't help but smile at her friend's empathy for her. And the fact that he was indeed ranting, a rarity for Ray Tabulstone.

"Its okay, Ray. I mean, it's not okay, but I deal with it. Whatever her problem is, it will go away eventually. Hopefully.” Lacey exclaimed, a light chuckle at the end. She loved how Ray could always bring out the best in any situation, and in her, without even trying. He just made her think happier thoughts, and she was ever grateful to have him as her friend, even if she had no others.

"Well, I guess", Ray sighed and thought he'd change the subject. "Let's just have our fucking coffee now. I'm sure it's almost cold, but whatever."

Lacey smiled.

"Okay."

So they finally got to relax and drink their coffee as originally planned, devoid of any preppy whores to interrupt them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guys, I was really disappointed by the lack of comments on the last update. Me, Rowan, and Lacey revel in your feedback, and when we don't get any, it makes us feel like you don't really care. Let's try and boost it up this time around ok?