Secrets

Saturday, October 8th(Later)

I tried to talk to Flip earlier; it kind of failed. I mean, I started out asking her questions about how much longer we were going to stay here, but she seemed kind of shifty as if answering was going to give me some idea or something. When she finally answered, I immediately came up with a follow-up question:

“Why do we have to stay here if the world needs saving?”

She didn’t know how to answer at first, but then she answered with great caution as if she may reveal something that is not meant to be shared. When she was done, I just kept asking questions. I felt that getting her to keep talking was the only way that my true question was going to be answered. After a while, she just answered on cue, becoming more and more comfortable. Finally, after 15 or so questions on my part, I asked my real question.

“Who’s Sheya?”

She started to answer. “She’s your-…”

When she stopped mid-sentence, she stared up at me. Then, really scared, she asked, “How do you know about Sheya?”

I didn’t think I could get out of it, but I tried anyways. I told her that Geko had mentioned her before she had been killed. Flip didn’t believe me. She said that Geko would never talk about her; that she, herself promised Flip that she would never say anything that needn’t be said. This was when I blew up at Flip. I started screaming at her. I didn’t know what I was saying; I can only remember parts of it. I think at one time I was yelling how much better my life was before I had come on this “stupid adventure” and how all the secrets around here were making me crazy and how no one trusted me. Then I think I was shouting about how my only friends have been taken away from me because of Flip. She won’t let me see Cam because she thinks that I’ll have another excursion with him, and the only reason Geko wasn’t here is because Flip made me come on this thing and I only really trusted Geko, so I made her come with me to that house. I don’t know what happened. I guess I just had too much built-up anger or something that all exploded at once. I couldn’t believe it; the only other person that I had ever done that too…was Jessica.

When I was done, Flip just looked at me with saddened eyes and then left the room. I felt guilty when she left, but I also felt an odd sense of peace. I felt like I could actually relax for once. Like there wasn’t this impounding sense of doom looming over me. It was great!
A few minutes later, Cam came in; Yazmin following closely behind. I couldn’t believe it! Cam was here! In my room! He looked back at Yazmin; he seemed scared. She just nodded her head and then left the room. Before she left she said she was going to be outside, just in case. This made me a little confused as to what was going to happen. When the door shut, Cam looked down at the pale green carpeted floor and slowly walked to my bed. I didn’t understand, so I put my right hand on his shoulder and asked what was wrong. He didn’t say anything; instead he just kept staring at the floor.

I grew more and more uncomfortable until he spoke with a whimper, “I’m sorry Riley. I’m sorry that I made life hell for you; that you have to go through all this. I’m sorry for everything I’ve done and won’t hold it against you if you never want to talk to me again.” I swear I saw a tear trickle down the side of his pale bony cheek. I didn’t know what to think. Cam was apologizing, but for what? I didn’t understand anything, but I haven’t been able to understand much since this all happened. The only time that I had seen Cam cry was when he told me what I really was. I started to speak, but Cam just shook his head. “Don’t try to understand; this won’t ever make sense. Now I’m sorry, but I have to do this.”