Emily

Chapter One

“Give it to me!”

“Give what?”

“Don’t play dumb with me! You know certainly well what! The Gem!”

“Gem? What Gem? Oh, you mean this! Here, have it!”

“Thank you Emily Baxtor, you have done wisely.”


Emily woke with a start. This was the third time this week that she had had this dream. She had absolutely no idea what it meant, but this was not the first time that something happened when a dream repeated itself. In her first dream, she dreamt that she was somewhere far away from her friends, and very depressed. At first, she thought that she was just paranoid and needed more sleep, but she soon found out that she was wrong, very wrong indeed…

8 YEARS EARLIER
After about a week of seeing the same dream over and over again, her whole life changed. Emily Baxtor was spending a peaceful at the beach with her two best friends, Cam and Riley. This was quite an unusual match, even though they were all in the same grade and class.
You see, Riley was a year younger than Emily, while Cam was a year older. They all became friends when school started. Cam thought that he was going to be miserable because, first off, he had already taken that class, and second off, all his friends moved on to the next class. Emily felt the same as always because she was in the class that she was supposed to be in, as always, and Riley, well, let’s just say that she was the life of the class, and probably the favorite too.

When they became friends, because it took a few days to get used to each other, Cam was dibbed, “The Not-So-Smart-One” because he didn’t like the name, “The Dumb-One,” which made sense, because no one likes to be called a dumb one.

Anyways, Riley was dibbed, “The Smart-One” because she was moved up a class by the head people, so when she told Cam and Emily, it made perfect sense to them. Emily was dibbed “The Normal-One” because she was in the right class, but it took twenty minutes for Cam and Riley to come up with that, though.

So today they were at the beach, practicing spells and charms on each other, for they were magic beings, and Cam didn’t have Lieka* practice.
(*Lieka is a game that is mixed between soccer and football; it’s actually quite fun.)

So anyways, most, if not all, magic beings are happy, so when Emily seemed sad, it came as a great surprise to Cam and Riley.

“What’s wrong Em?” Cam asked, bringing out his nickname for her. “Your spells are weaker than ever right now. I mean, even I can beat them, and that’s when you know that something’s wrong.” Riley sniggered a little, but immediately stopped as soon as Cam looked at her.

Emily replied, sounding miserable, “Why doesn’t Riley tell you? I mean, she can read minds, right?”

Cam looked at Riley suspiciously. “What? I can read minds! But not yours Emily Baxtor, it’s way too clouded that even the best mind readers probably can’t read it! So you better tell us what’s going on right now!” Riley said, very forcefully.

Emily looked at Riley, and saw that she was actually worried, so she almost whispered, “I’m leaving.”

“Ah, that’s all, well now that wasn’t that har-“ Cam cut off, as if to just realize what she was saying. “Wait, you’re LEAVING?” Emily nodded her head meekly. “Bu-Bu-But then who am I supposed to cheat of off on the upcoming test?”

Emily, shrugging, said, “Riley?”

Riley looked angered at this, but then sad, because she realized that Emily was telling the truth. “So that’s it then, you’re just leaving.” Emily looked like she was about to cry, her bright blue eyes filling with water.

“Well, at least tell us why you are supposed to leave.” Cam said, kind of reassuringly.

“I don’t really know why, but I was having a weird dream, and I talked to Master Porf about it, and she just said something about it being my time and that I have to leave immediately.” Emily barely choked out.

“When do you leave?” Riley cautiously asked.

“Tomorrow.”