Emily

Chapter Three

“Did you give it to them?”

“Well, I gave them A Gem, but I have the Meize right here.”

“Good, very good, we seemed to have taught you well. We are glad to have you on our team, Emily.”


This was now the second time that Emily had had this dream. She once had it when she was very young, only 5 or 6 years of age, but that is not the important thing right now.

Though, like the other dream, it had repeated itself, this time, she didn’t really concentrate on it too much right now. Actually, she wasn’t really concentrating on anything. She had other stuff on her mind at the moment. As you may remember, Emily was enrolled in the Princess Academy in Lowrod. Now it’s not what you think it is. At the Princess Academy, it’s kind of a college, but it’s for Princess’s, as they say. Right across from the Princess Academy, was the Prince Academy in Lowrod. That is not the important thing at the moment, though. See, Emily was put in lots of classes, and that means lots of homework and tests, so she couldn’t really concentrate on anything, especially her best friend, who was somehow related to her roommate Jessica, but Emily was completely dazed as to how.

At that moment, Savanna, her best friend, walked in the room without Emily noticing it. “Emily, are you okay? You haven’t really been yourself lately.” She said in her nice, soft voice, that even if you couldn’t see her, you’d know right away that it was her, but still making Emily jump and come out of her train of thoughts.

“Wha-? Oh, it’s just you. Don’t do that! You should know that by now!” There was a meek ‘sorry’. “It’s okay. But I’ve just been trying to remember everything for these upcoming tests.”
“You’re cramming too, huh?” Savanna said, sitting down on a nearby beanbag. “I’ve been trying to remember everything that we learned last week, that I haven’t been paying attention to what we’ve been learning this week. Oh well! As my rule says, ‘The only time to pay attention is either the night you cram, or the day before a test, when you should remember everything that you forgot!’” Savanna replied cheerfully.

“But you’re not even sticking to that ‘rule’ as you call it!”

“Sure I am!” Savanna indignantly replied.

“Oh really, then what did you cram for last night?” Emily asked in a smarty-pants kind of voice.

“Um…Uh…” Savanna stammered, trying to think of something. “Well, you see, my rule just says that you should pay attention, it doesn’t say anything about remembering what you crammed for.” Savanna thought to herself for a moment, and then smiled and said, “Yeah! That’s right!”

“Uh-huh, right. Then answer me this, did you remember that the tests are tomorrow?” Emily said, raising her eyebrows.

“WHAT?” Savanna screamed, nearly shaking down the entire Academy. “Wh-Why didn’t you tell me this before?”

Emily looked as if she was about to say something, but Savanna cut her off. “Wait, don’t answer that, ‘cause you probably did. But can you please help me? Or will I get to cheat off you tomorrow?” Savanna hinted.

“How many times do I have to say that I’m not going to let you cheat off me?” Savanna shrugged. “So now that narrows down your choices, so let’s get to work, and hopefully get in all your homework by the end of the day tomorrow.”

“Emily, how much do I have to tell you that you are a complete lifesaver?” Savanna told her, making her smile, and then hugged each other.

“Anytime Savanna, anytime. I mean, you’re my only friend right now, and I’m not about to let you stay a grade behind me.” Emily said meekly. Savanna looked confused for a moment or two, but the look then vanished within another moment. “Anyways,” Emily said, sensing the awkwardness, “To still abide by your ‘rule.’ What did we have to do in class today?”
Savanna thought about this for a while, then answered, dropping her head. “I don’t really know…I was concentrating on other things.”

“Like Sam?”

“Yeah-Wait! No! What?” Savanna practically yelled, obviously puzzled. “How-How did you know that?”

“Sav, the look on your face says everything.” Emily replied, using her special name for her. It looked like Savanna was about to say something, but Emily cut her off. “Back to the point. Savanna, you should at least know that we only study for the test the last week before it is! Yes, even Mr. Zil, the geography teacher, in case who that was. Man, you must think about Sam all the time!”

Savanna opened her mouth, as to object, but Emily looked at her with a stern face, and then she closed her mouth and nodded her head. Emily changed her face to a smile. They went to the library that was closest, which was just around the corner from where they were, to start studying and working on homework.

It was the day of the tests and Savanna was freaking out. She even dropped her lunch and didn’t buy a new one, which was amazing, considering it was Savanna.

When the tests came, Emily was prepared for them, but couldn’t concentrate at all when they were handed out. Instead, what she learned completely flew right over her and in its place, her latest dreams came in. For some odd reason, while you were supposed to be paying attention, was when Emily could concentrate on other things better. Since she was concentrating on them so much, that by the end of class, she actually had some idea of what her dreams meant. When people were allowed to leave the class, Emily bolted out and ran to her room, with Savanna calling out things behind her. They were all just a buzz to Emily. She knew that she had another class coming up, but she could blow it off. She’d retake all the tests later, when she had time. But she’d blow her next class off even if she didn’t have to. This was the only class that she’d do that, too. See, her next class was her least favorite class ever. It was a class that all you learned about was how to be ‘a proper princess.’ The only things that you actually did there, were look in a mirror, brush your hair, and learn how to tell if someone loved you or not. Emily grimaced at the very thought of doing exactly that for yet another day, although, if she actually wanted to learn how to tell if someone loved her, she could just do a little magic. Though, even though she was a witch, she figured that life should be like an ocean, unpredictable.

Thinking intently of if she would have to blow off this class yet again, she suddenly remembered that Savanna was standing there, and that she hadn’t told her that she was a witch yet. You see, the only reason for this was that she was simply confused if she should or not and kept worrying of what would happened if she did tell her. Would she stop being her friend? Would she try to brainwash her and take her powers? Would she tell the Mistress and have her move out, having nowhere to go? Or would she just keep on being Emily’s friend as if nothing changed? All these questions ran through her head making her realize that she really wished that she had Cam and Riley with her. They would definitely have advice for her. Then again, if they were with her, then she probably wouldn’t be stuck in that awful Princess Academy, with Jessica.

Suddenly, Emily wished that she could somehow contact Riley and Cam, telling them all that was going on with her at the moment. What she missed the most though, was to see her old friends again, that she could somehow teleport back to her homeland once more. Sadly, she never learned how to teleport exactly. She had left too early. If only she had had that dream later in life, then she would’ve learned more before starting her misery.

Just then, Savanna ran into the room, out of breath and trying to talk, but having no luck. A bit confused, Emily looked at Savanna, giving her a quizzical look.

“Um, Savanna? Why are you in such a hurry to get here? It’s not even your room.”
Savanna, still catching her breath, managed to say, “’Cause I got to tell you something.”

Emily, still obviously confused, gave her yet another quizzical look. Savanna, seeing this, finally said (with her finally breath back), “So, as you very well know, neither of us exactly like Proper Princess Studies, so Ms. Dole, the teacher-“

“I know who Ms. Dole is Savanna, I’m not a complete idiot.” Emily interrupted.

“Yeah, sure. Anyways, so since neither of us like it, we now are assigned to a completely different class! Isn’t it amazing?” Savanna replied, really excited. Emily, not seeing the excitement in this news, just smiled and nodded her head real slow, as if waiting for Savanna to go on. Savanna, not seeing this, was instead a reply to her “exciting” news.

“Uh, Savanna, I’m sure that it’s great, but seriously, what’s the new class?”

Savanna looked a little taken aback. Surely this wasn’t to be the reply that Emily would have for her news? Hadn’t she been clear? Then, realizing Emily’s question, Savanna smiled and laughed a little. “I haven’t told you yet?” Emily shook her head. “Oh, well, you’re never going to believe this-“

“Just get on with it”

“Fine. As I was saying, you’re totally not going to believe this. See, our new, amazing class is…Animal Treatment! Isn’t it exciting?”

Now Emily was shocked. Surely this was a lie! How could Ms. Dole, one of the meanest, weirdest teachers there, was letting them, I mean, them, switch out of her class to go to a more amazing class?

“You’re joking.” Was all Emily could say. Savanna’s reply was a simple grin and a shaken head.

“Nope! We’re really going to be in Animal Treatment!”

This was a dream come true! Animal Treatment – in Emily’s opinion – was one of the best classes there, if not the best! There was just one question left. “When do we start?”

Savanna, a wide grin spreading across her face, stated, “Tomorrow.”

No way. No flipping way. Thought Emily. This is turning out to be a really amazing day, so far, that is.

“So what were you exactly doing in here anyways?” Savanna’s sudden question brought Emily out of her thoughts.

“Oh…uh…well…I was just…uh” Emily wasn’t quite sure if she should tell Savanna what she really was, or if she should just wait and see. She decided on telling her. Even if she shouldn’t, she still needed help…desperately.

“Savanna, well, see, I was thinking.” Emily said bluntly. At this, Savanna dropped her head and looked up at Emily.

“Thinking? Thinking? Oh please, you’re always in here doing whatever you do, and honestly, I don’t think it’s thinking. You can think about your own problems during class! Which I assume you already do! So you better tell me what’s going on, or I’ll…I’ll…I’ll…Well, I don’t know exactly what I’ll do, but I’ll think of something! You can bet on that!” Savanna replied strongly.

“Right, be scared of the little person! Ah! I’m so scared!” When Emily said this, Savanna just glared. “Sorry, it’s just, I have a lot on my mind.”

“Oh really? Like what?” Savanna asked, seeming a little too intrigued.

“Um, well, you better sit down.” Savanna immediately went for the green-blue beanbag chair.

“’Kay, good. So you see Savanna, well, I’m kind of, how do I put this? Well, I’m a witch.”

Savanna stared blankly at Emily, shocked, finally able to say, “I’m a witch too! Why didn’t you ever tell me?”

Now it was Emily’s turn to be shocked. “What do you mean ‘why didn’t you ever tell me?’”
“I mean, why didn’t you ever tell me that you were a witch?” Savanna said, as if talking to a three year-old.

“I know what you mean, but you could’ve just as well of told me!” Emily replied defiantly.
Savanna, trying to come up with a good comeback to this, just gave up and started to nod her head. “Yeah, I guess, but still! I wasn’t sure if I should tell you or not! I mean, come on! How many witches do you find in everyday life?”

“True, and the only reason I didn’t tell you was ‘cause I didn’t know what your reaction would be. I mean, you could be mad, happy, say that you’d never be friend again, say I was a freak, or just stay my friend. See what I mean?” Emily blurted, not wanting to say that much, but just couldn’t control herself.

“Oh please, if I wasn’t your friend, then how would I help you defeat Jessica? Tsk, tsk.” Savanna replied, sounding obvious. Emily just laughed. “Anyways, so what were you truly thinking about? Don’t, whatever you do, tell me ‘stuff.’”

“Okay, I won’t. Actually, I was thinking about a dream that I’ve been having a lot lately. It’s kind of strange, to be honest.” Emily said, drifting back into thought.

“Weird. Have you had them before? I mean, any kind of dreams that somehow relate to this?” Savanna asked, concerned. At this, Emily paused, for this question had taken her by surprise. Emily finally said after a few minutes, “Well, yes, actually. I had one back when I was still apart of my old home. That was when I told my school headmaster, Master Porf, about it, who then sent me here, leaving my two best-friends – besides you, of course – forever, and now I haven’t seen or heard from then since.” After this was said, Emily stared into space, remembering her friends and how much she missed them.

Savanna interrupted her thoughts with the question of, “Wait, you said that your headmaster was Master Porf, right?” Emily nodded, coming out of her thoughts, “Lucky! Master Porf was – is – the best witch and wizard master, or teacher, if you were lucky, ever! I bet you know loads!” Savanna added, excitedly.

“Sorry to burst your bubble Sav, but actually, I don’t know that much.” Savanna’s head dropped at this. “Yeah, ‘cause I kind of left in my 3rd year there. If I was to have left the following year, then trust me, I would know lots more.”

“Oh,” Savanna said sadly, “you still probably know more than me.” Emily seemed surprised by this. Surely Savanna would know more than her! She was basically only interested in magic! It’s all she ever reads about! Slightly taken aback by this, Emily simply stated. “Don’t be too sure. I know that there are surprises inside of everyone.” Once Emily had said this, Savanna perked up a little.

The next day Emily decided to tell Savanna of her two dreams. She told her all about the Gem in the first one, and all about the ‘being on the team’ in the second. For once, Savanna seemed like she was listening. Once Emily had finished talking, there was a pause. After a few moments, Savanna spoke. “Weird. How long have you been having these?” Emily had to think for a moment. “Um, well, let’s see. The first one started back in my home time, so probably about eight years ago, and I’ve been having them ever since. But they aren’t always the same thing. Once I left to come here, I started to have a different dream, instead of that one, though I still have that one occasionally. Does any of this make sense to you?”

Savanna opened her mouth as if to speak, but then quickly closed, as if she knew something, but not how to put it into words. “Well, it makes as much sense to me as it does to you. Does that answer your question?” Emily started to laugh. Good ol’ Sav to make a joke to clear things up. She thought. Savanna smiled a little, but didn’t start laughing.

“Anyways,” Savanna said, cutting in on Emily’s laughter, trying to get back on topic. “What do you think they mean? All we can really do is ask questions and see if they answer any problems that we have.” Emily was shocked. Since when had Savanna become this smart? It was plain crazy! Emily started to stammer. “Uh…well…you see…uh.” Savanna looked impatient, making Emily start to think faster. She took a deep breath, and started again. “Well, the first one I think is about me, obviously, giving someone a gem of some kind, that is most likely important. Also, I think that I will most likely have to travel to somewhere that’s not here and go on an adventure or something.” Emily raised her voice a little at the end, like when you raise your voice at the end of a phrase, not sure if it’s right or wrong, and hoping that it’s right. Savanna just thought of her answer for a couple of seconds. “You know,” she started, “I think you may be right about that. I mean, it makes sense, if you just think about it.” Emily gaped. Was this really Savanna? She never thinks about stuff! Especially on purpose!

“What?” was what Savanna said when she saw Emily’s face. Emily quickly shook her head, getting out of her own thoughts of how Savanna could suddenly become smart. “Oh, uh, nothing. I was just wondering, what are you going to do back here, I mean, if I actually do go away?”

Savanna looked appalled. “What do you mean, ‘back here’? I’m not going to be ‘back here’!”
“What? What do you mean, you’re not going to be back here?” Emily asked, clearly confused.
“I’m going with you! Oh my God! Are you that stupid?” Savanna practically screamed, as if it was the clearest thing in the world.

“What? No! I won’t let you! You have to stay here! I don’t want you to get hurt! If this thing really is dangerous, I don’t want to put your life in danger! I’ve already lost too many friends in my lifetime!” Emily replied, indignantly.

“Oh please! You can’t control me! You can’t even control Kayla, whose three years younger than you and who you’re supposed to watch over!” She said sharply.

“What? I can too control Kayla!” Just then both girls heard a racket of falling stuff outside the door. Both of them looked at each other, then at the door that was between them and the noise. Emily quickly darted towards the door, throwing it open to look outside. Once it was open, Emily stopped in her step, gaping.

Savanna came up behind her and asked, “What’s that about being able to control Kayla?”
Right where they were looking was a big pile of…well…stuff. Things of all sorts were in a big pile. Books, paper, notebooks, pens, pencils, clothes, water bottles, etc. and all of them seemed to be surrounding one thing. A person named Kayla.

“Kayla!” Emily snapped, rushing over to where she was sitting and grabbed her arm. “What are you doing? How did this happen? Are you okay?” Kayla quickly threw her off. “Yeah, I’m fine, I just wanted some crayons, so I grabbed ‘em, and then this happened.” She said, pointing to the big pile around her. “Unfortunately, they were at the bottom, and yeah.” Kayla liked to leave sentences hanging like this, so when she said that it came as no great shock to Emily. “Kayla, why didn’t you just get me or Savanna to help you? I’m sure that there were some crayons on the top.”

“Uh,” Kayla started, looking at Savanna. Emily saw this, and so asked, raising her eyebrows. “Alright, what’s going on? And tell me the truth this time.” Kayla looked down at her shoes, or what you could see of them, and began speaking.

“Well, you see, Savanna somehow knew that you’d say that you could control me, and so she told me to listen at the door of your room, and wait until you said that, and then she told me that when you did say that, that I should run over to the pile and pull something out of the bottom of the pile, making it fall over, and that she’d give me a piece of candy if I did, and now we’re here.” Emily sighed at this, looked at Savanna, and then at Kayla.

“Kayla, you know, you don’t have to do stuff like that just to get candy. I’ll give you a piece of candy, and then you go and run off and have fun.” Kayla nodded, while Emily pulled a piece of candy out of her pocket. Kayla quickly grabbed it and then disappeared within seconds. Emily turned to Savanna and said, “Can’t control her? I think otherwise.” Then she walked back in the room, Savanna following close behind.

Once the door was shut, Emily started to scream at Savanna. “Are you kidding me? Why would you do that? I mean, sure, sometimes I don’t have control of her, but that doesn’t mean that you have permission to go and pull a stunt like that!”

Savanna seemed to shrink into a corner, and waited for Emily to finish shouting. Finally she did. Silence. All you could hear was the panting of Emily for she had not taken a breath since she started yelling. This went on for a few more minutes, when Savanna meekly broke the silence. “I’m sorry, I just…I just…I don’t know. I guess I just wanted to feel that I was right sometimes.”

Emily could not believe her ears. “When, when, did I say that you’re not right?”
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry this chapter's not done yet...I kinda lost my original manuscript to it...so when I find it, I PROMISE i'll update it!