A Price

01/01

“Baby, can you hear me?”

I pressed harder when there came no response. It was no use; there was so much blood. I clenched my teeth trying to stop their rattling, and I brought my shaking hand to his face.

“Baby, do you hear me?

The shrill in my voice pierced the night. I sucked in another sharp breath and swallowed, trying to stop the burning pressure in my throat. Tears prickled at my eyes as I began to panic. This isn’t right. We shouldn’t be here on this cold highway, I thought. We should be bundled up on the couch drinking hot chocolate and watching old horror movie reruns.

I pressed even harder with my jacket, and he opened his eyes. The tears came faster as I leaned over him, caressing his face with my free hand. His cheek was icy, even through my gloves. He must be freezing.

“Gerard, honey, you’ll be fine. You hear me? Everything will be fine, just stay awake. I love you, okay? Just stay awake.” My voice broke towards the end.

He moved his lips, and I strained to hear. “…luh…oo…”

I saw the pain in his eyes as he spoke, and it broke my heart into sharp, bloody pieces. There was nothing I could do to help him. My husband, my love, lay on this hard, slick road broken, and all I could do is fucking watch.

“I know, baby. I love you so much, but you don’t need to talk. Okay?” I stroked his cheek and leaned forward to press my lips to his forehead.

“You’ll be okay, and I’ll be right here.” Helpless. Through the tears, I managed to smile weakly and comb my fingers through his hair. His eyes never seemed to focus right, and the sobs racked through me again, making it almost impossible to speak.

“I won’t leave you, I promise. I’ll be right here.”

And that’s when his eyes closed again. My heart dropped, and I frantically called his name through choking sobs, but his eyes wouldn’t open. I held onto him, sobbing hysterically.

At that moment, the already chilly night froze solid, sending more chills through me. I turned and gasped.

In the shadows to my right, there stood a terrifying figure, cloaked in black, its face hidden. It stepped forward, and I shuddered. I began to plead.

“You can’t take him! It’s too soon! Please!” I shouted into the night, “Don’t take him, yet! Please, God, no…” my voice trailed off at the end, lungs burning and throat closing.

A voice rang in my head, startling me. A price must be paid.

I swallowed and took a breath, managing some volume. “Anything!”

You will be what you wish I wasn’t.

I blinked, and it was gone. I was kneeling at Gerard’s side, clinging to him, just as the cold clung to me.

“Baby, you’re going to be alright.” This time, there was more confidence in my voice. His fingers gripped mine, and I kissed his face as his eyes opened slowly.

“I love you.” His voice was light as the wind, but still clear. I squeezed his fingers and held him closer, icy tears streaming down my face, more out of happiness than anything.

“I love you so much, darling,” I whispered into his ear, kissing his hair, wet with snow. I pulled away to look at his, and his eyes widened, suddenly horrified. Confusion filled me, my heart beating faster, now afraid.

“What’s wrong, baby?” He didn’t move; didn’t even blink. Fear spread uneasily into my gut.

“What is it? Gerard? Gerard?!” I searched his face for an answer.

My heart stopped as I saw my reflection in his eyes.

You will be what you wish I wasn’t. It’s words echoed through my head again.

“No, no, no. Gerard? Can you hear me? No, God, no.” Bile rose in my throat, and I gently shook him. He fell limply in my hands.

I began crying hysterically as realization hit me. I shouted into the dark sky, “No! You fucking cheated! You can’t do this to me! No! You should’ve taken me… Oh, God, no.”

Gerard was my first victim.