We'll Celebrate the End of Things

...With Cheap Champagne

Gerard always said this day would come..I just never believed him. I wish I had believed him sooner, and then things would have turned out differently. In high school, Gerard had been my best friend. I always wanted to be more than friends, but every time we would be walking together and see couples at school Gerard would always say that it was a waste of time. When I asked why Gerard told me the world was going to end soon. Yeah, so that was kind of hard to believe at the time. But like I said, I believe him now. In high school, I just figured Gerard preferred to be single. I stayed single too. To this very day I have never had a boyfriend. But I have been and am in love. Gerard and I aren’t ‘best’ friends anymore, just friends. We don’t talk as much.

So, back to today, the end of the world. You’d think I’d be spending time with family these last several hours..but no. I have no family. They all died a while ago. So, on my last day alive I’m sitting by myself in my dark house, pondering my life up until now..and I’m not satisfied with it. I knew how to feel better about this last day on Earth. I just didn’t know if I should do it. I could die in my house, just ok with my life. Or I could go tell Gerard how I feel, and get hurt. I doubted anything good would come out of me telling Gerard I loved him. Well, except the weight of carrying my feelings all those years would be lifted. Yes, that would be nice. Finally deciding that I was indeed going to go and tell Gerard how I felt, I headed outside and to the side walk, walking to the not so far away house that belonged to Gerard.

I reached Gerard’s house and walked up onto his porch and up to his front door and knocked on it loudly. I heard some footsteps which got louder as they moved towards the door and stopped as the door was opened. Gerard smiled when he saw it was me.

“What are you doing here, Emily?” he asked.

“I wanted to talk to you, if you don’t mind,” I said, moving some stray black hairs behind my ear.

“Sure, come on in,” he said, standing back to let me in.

“Can we sit on your porch instead?” I asked. “It’s such a nice day.”

It really was a nice day. The sky was clear and the sun was shining brightly.

“Ok,” said Gerard. He stepped outside and closed his front door. I sat down on the top porch step and Gerard sat down beside me.

“What did you want to talk about?” he asked.

“Well,” I started. “I figured I should tell you this today, before the asteroid (I know..not very creative :/ ) kills us all.”

I looked at Gerard and he nodded, telling me to continue.

“Gerard,” I started again. “I love you.”

I sighed. I said it. I honestly felt a lot better. I’d just have to see how I felt after Gerard responds. I had looked at my feet when I had told him and I was still looking at my feet. When Gerard didn’t say anything I looked up at him. But Gerard wasn’t there. I got up and went to Gerard’s front door again. Instead of knocking this time, I just went inside.

“Gerard?” I called out when I got inside his house.

“Hold on!” he yelled back. I was now confused. Did he hear what I had told him?

“Gerard? What are you doing?” I called again.

“Just wait a minute!” he yelled in response. I stood in the entry way of Gerard’s house for a few minutes before Gerard finally came back.

“Gerard, did you hear what I told you on your porch?” I asked. Gerard didn’t say anything but he was smiling. I was a little nervous by now. He was acting strangely. He held a closed hand toward me.

“Hold out your hand,” Gerard said. I did as he said, holding my open hand out, palm up. He hovered his closed fist over my open hand before releasing something into my hand. I closed my fingers around the round object and brought my hand towards me before opening my hand again. Sitting in my hand was a beautiful engagement ring with a large diamond on its silver band.

“What is this for?” I asked, now thoroughly confused.

“Emily,” said Gerard. “I love you too.”

“What?” I asked, surprised. “But I thought you thought love was a waste of time.”

“That’s what I made you believe,” he said. “It’d hurt more if we had been together as a couple longer before this day.”

“But we would at least have had more time together,” I said. “And why would you give me an engagement ring? We can’t get married. It’s too late.”

“True,” said Gerard. “But we can get engaged.”

Gerard carefully took the ring from my hand and got down on one knee. He held the ring towards me.

“Emily, will you get engaged to me?” he asked. I couldn’t believe this. Everything was going how I always imagined. Except everyone was going to die in a few hours. But I had to smile and be happy anyways.

“Yes,” I said. Gerard smiled and slipped the ring onto ring finger on the hand I extended to him. Gerard stood up and hugged me.

“I’m so happy,” said Gerard. Gerard let go of me and stepped in the direction of his kitchen. “I’ll be right back.”

He went to his kitchen and quickly came back with a bottle of champagne and two glasses.

“Let’s celebrate!” said Gerard.

“Ok,” I said. Gerard poured some of the champagne into each glass.

“Sorry it’s cheap champagne. It’s all I had,” he said.

“That’s ok,” I replied. I raised my glass. “To us.”

“To the end of things,” said Gerard. I smiled and we each drank our champagne.

“To the end of things,” I whispered. I took Gerard’s hand and decided I was now satisfied with my short life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback please?
~Sally