Wouldn't It Be Great If We Were Dead?

You Never Fell In Love

Frank’s P.O.V.

Dead. Amanda was dead. I was on my knees, beside her limp body, blood still oozing out of the wound in the side of her head. Blood splatter was on the wall behind her. I had seen her do it. I stared at her face. She was beautiful. Her black hair contrasted with her pale face. She looked peaceful. I knew she had wanted this. She had smiled as she pulled the trigger. I should have stopped it though. I looked at the gun still clutched in her hand then back to her face.

Something inside of me should have known what she was going to do. She had just recently been talking about death. I had stupidly believed her when she said she wasn’t going to do anything. Maybe I could have stopped her if I had told her how I felt. But I didn’t. I couldn’t believe she was gone. A tear streaked down my face as I took the gun from Amanda’s lifeless hand. I stared at it in my hands, and then I again looked at Amanda. Maybe she was right. Maybe it would be great if we were dead. Maybe I’d be able to see her again. I leaned forward and pressed my warm lips to Amanda’s cold ones before sitting up again.

“I love you,” I whispered to no one. It was meant for Amanda though. I closed my eyes tightly as I placed the barrel of the gun to my temple and pulled the trigger.

---

Amanda’s P.O.V. (A few days ago)

“Wouldn’t it be great if we were dead?” I asked, sitting next to Frank in my living room.

“I don’t know,” he said.

“I think it would be,” I said, looking over at Frank. “There’s just something so peaceful about death.”

Frank looked at me abruptly.

“You’re not thinking of doing anything are you?” he asked. I looked away from him.

“No,” I said. I actually had been thinking about death a lot recently. I was 19. I had no friends…except for Frank. I had never been in love either and that depressed me. Frank was in love though and I was happy for him. He had a girlfriend, Jamia.

“Amanda,” said Frank, interrupting me from my thoughts. “I have to go. I have a date with Jamia.”

“Ok,” I said. “Have fun.”

Frank smiled at me.

“Bye, Amanda,” he said. “See you tomorrow?”

“Of course,” I said. “Bye.”

The next day, Frank didn’t come. I convinced myself he had forgotten about me. That he didn’t really like me as a friend. I sat on my couch, staring at the gun I owned. I fell asleep at some point that night.

When I woke up the next day, the gun was still in front of me. It was practically telling me death would make things better. I picked up the gun and headed to the hallway where the front door was. I was determined to end everything. I thought of Frank as I placed the gun to my temple, facing my front door. I started crying. Not because I was about to end my life, but because I loved someone I couldn’t have.

“I love you Frank,” I said out loud to myself. And just as I pulled the trigger, Frank came through the front door and I smiled.