December Every Day

An Introduction

There were four figures walking through the snow, all of them dressed in black. One was obviously more feminine than the others, one had hair that was a different color on each side of the head, and one was bald. The other was plain looking. But this made sense, because one was a girl, and the other three were imitating members of their favorite band. Which, actually, was an explanation as to why they were here in the first place. This was a gathering, though they had arrived earlier than was requested. But there was already a great swarm of black clad figures, so they shrugged and headed into the group.

A man stood at the front with a microphone. "Have you got your passports and identification cards?" he called out at the crowd. "The line starts to the left, please move that way." The black mass obediently straightened itself into the requested line, and the four could now see a gate ahead.

The girl poked the boy on her right. "Colin, look, it's a train."
He shrugged. "Course it's a train. Think we could get that far without one?"
She snorted. "We don't know how far it is, we were only just told yesterday that it even actually exists."
"Yeah, but do you really think that someone wouldn't have found it if it were close by?"
She glared at him. "Well, it's cold enough here, and besides, what about the whole 'underground' thing?"
"That could just be the name, we don't know anything."
"That's what I was saying."
The plainer looking boy was tired of their argument. "Stella, just stop it already. We know it's a train."
"What gives you the right to interfere?"
He sucked in his breath, apparently readying himself for a long speech. "Well-"
The third boy turned now. "David, don't get yourself involved."
Stella buried her face in her hands. "Oh, god. It was just an observation. Martin, how come your head isn't frozen off by now?"
"Magic." He smiled, and she leaned her face into his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around her, and the two stood there, ignoring Colin and David's discontented shuffling.