December Every Day

Surroundings

"Well, new home." He tried to figure out what merited looking at first and failed miserably, so he decided just to look at whatever first came into his line of vision. They really had made it into a December underground. There were areas that they had filled with dirt and planted pine trees in, and everything else was white. There were tunnels leading off on all sides, and a map a little way away from the train. David and Mark drifted their way over to the map, and each grabbed the pieces of paper he'd come with from wherever he had stowed them. They both stared down at the paper, then up at the map, and then at the same time slammed their fingers into a corner.
"There! Ow, fuck. "
"Owwwww. Dammit. Well, we seem to be next to each other."
"Evidently." Mark rubbed his fingers, whining slightly to go along with his pained expression.
"Well, let's go." David grabbed Mark by the damaged hand and dragged him toward the tunnel that supposedly led to their dwellings. Mark whined, but David ignored him, and they eventually reached a smaller main square type area.

David reached the entrance and stopped. Mark, who was paying attention to not being dragged into a wall, didn't realize that they had stopped, and crashed into David. Both fell over, and so their first impression was of hard ground and soft laughter from the people who had already made it there. They picked themselves up, though, and were eventually able to observe their new surroundings. This area looked more or less like the first one they'd entered, except that it was, of course, smaller, and the. tunnels leading out from it were smaller than those of the other place. The tunnels were labeled, and the two started reading them. 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D. Etcetera.