Status: Going under Editing! Tell your friends and family the series is coming back as a whole new story!

How Could This Happen to Me?

If I'm not his, then why am I here?

“That was a hassle,” Mr. Grayson spoke. I looked at him oddly. He wasn't talking to me, he was talking more into this little piece in his ear. “Yes sir, I have the girl. She is some what of a challenge, and quite lovely.” He nodded a few times. This is just strange, a guy talking to himself about me, and he keeps calling himself sir. “She'll be there in an hour Mr. Vaara.” That's not his last name.

“Um, excuse me,” I said as politely as I could muster.

“Hold on sir, she's speaking,” he said quickly into the ear piece before turning to me. “Yes miss Garver.” I gave him a confused looked as I thought of how to word my question.

“Are you talking to yourself,” I asked finally. I know it sounded dumb since he obviously wasn't but still I didn't really want to be rude.

“No, I'm talking to my boss, your soon to be father-in-law,” he answered with a smile, but his eyes said that he thought I was the dumbest girl on earth.

“So you were on a cell phone?”

“Kind of. I was on a separate piece that connects to a cell phone. It's called a blue tooth.”

“Oh, okay. Tell Mr. New-dad hello for me then.” He laughed as he began talking again, on this time in a different language. Great, I rolled my eyes and followed him to a black car. I was half expecting a stretch limo, but I got a sleek black BMW instead. “Whoa!”

Mr. Grayson opened the back right car door for me and closed it when I got in. He then took his seat under the steering wheel all the while talking on that blue tooth thing. I sat in silence for a while, wondering what my new home would be like, and wondering about my new, new, um, boyfriend. I'm not going to be able to call him my fiancée, at least not for a while.

The silence of the ride was deafening. I wasn't use to such a sound, I mean, living in a house with three younger brothers and a younger sister was never quiet. There was never time for quiet, even poor Benny talked in his sleep. The silence and the soft hum of the car's engine and Mr. Grayson soft mumbling lulled me into a soundless sleep. I slept the entire way to my new residence, so now I have no idea where I am or if I'm even in the same state.

“Come on Miss Garver. We're here,” Mr. Grayson said as he opened the door for me. I, leaning against the door he opened, fell out of the car. He chucked a little before composing himself.

“What,” I hissed at him as I picked myself up off the ground and dusted off my ratty old jeans.

“I'm sorry, I didn't know you were sitting like that. Forgive me,” he asked more seriously. I glared at him. I stayed in my spot on the ground. He stopped laughing or even smiling. I had to smirk at that, but I was determined not to move until he apologized like he meant it. “Madeline, you need to get up before Mr. Vaara gets here,” he said all to seriously.

“Why will poor Mr. Grayson get in trouble if I don't.” I was finding this a little to amusing, but I couldn't help but to wonder why he got all serious all of a sudden. He couldn't get into that much trouble could he?

“James,” a voice bellowed from the front steps that the car was parked in front of. I tore my smirk away from Mr. Grayson to look at the man now standing on the large porch. He was taller than Mr. Grayson by a good three inches. I didn't realize people grew to be that tall. He was dressed in a pair of black slacks and a wine colored button down shirt. Just looking at him I could tell my new lifestyle was going to be a real change from what I was use to.

“Yes sir,” Mr. Grayson as he bowed his head slightly. I had to refrain from laughing a bit at the odd display of respect.

“What are you doing to our guest,” the man said harshly as he began walking down the steps. Everything about him screamed grace. As he got closer I could see his short dark brown hair as it ruffled in the cool breeze.

At that moment watching that random stranger come out of that beautiful mansion I had a thought Just like my romantic of a sister Abby had earlier. If that's going to be my father-in-law, then what is my fiancée going to look like? This man was lanky, with beautiful silk hair, and as he got closer I could see his facial features better. They appeared to be soft all though they were hardened in anger at the moment. Never-the-less they were perfect. His nose curved just right, he had high model-like cheek bones, and he had full lips. He was gorgeous, it was not fair for any one man to look that handsome.

“Sir, I didn't realize she was leaning against the door, she fell out of the car. She is all right though. I was just helping her off the ground,” Grayson explained as he held out a hand for me. At first I ignored it not being able to take my eyes off Mr. Vaara as they called him. The man noticed my obvious starring and laughed a bit. I quickly averted my gaze back to Mr. Grayson whose eyes were pleading for me to just take his hand and get off the ground. I sighed, gave him one last glare, and took his hand. He pulled me off the ground and smiled a thankful smile as he went to the back of the car to get my bag.

“Come on, dear, it's time you met the man of the hour isn't it,” Mr. Vaara asked. I nodded politely as I stood in front of the house. It was at least three stories high, and it had a noticeable tower looking building in the back. “James, take her things to the guest room we talked about,” Mr. Vaara order. He gave Grayson a small glare as he scurried off into the house.

“Your home is lovely sir,” I said in awe of just the outside of the house as we walked up the cobble stone steps. It was even more beautiful up close rather than sitting in the middle of the drive way.

“Thank you. Now your name is Amanda am I right,” he questioned I looked at him in disbelief.

“Um, no!” A look of confusion crossed his face for a brief moment, and I wondered what was going on here. “My name is Madeline,” I said as he tried to figure out what was wrong with what I had said.

“Oh, forgive me. I have the wrong girl. See you are here because you are arranged to my friend's son. They are good people you'll like them a lot. My son is arranged to some Amanda girl. She was supposed to be here today,” He explained.

“Uh huh, and if I am arranged to someone else why am I here?” I looked at him for the answer and I swear I never wanted to take my gaze way, but I wanted to be polite and not stare but, trust me it was hard. He had the most beautiful grayish green eyes I had ever seen in my life.

A thoughtful expression crossed his face as he realized he didn't tell me why I was here. “You, Madeline, are staying for the week. My friend Derek's son is your fiancée, but he couldn't make it to pick you up today. I'm terribly sorry, James must have gotten confused because you were supposed to be staying in our guest house which is right down the little dirt road you passed on the way here.” I nodded then looked at him as if he was insane.

“I must have missed the road, I think I fell asleep. Silence gets to me,” I confessed. He nodded in and understanding way.

“You will hate it here. You may like it with Derek and his son, but here you are going to hate it.” Mr. Vaara looked really sad for a moment.

“Why do you say that?”

“You said silence gets to you correct,” he paused for an answer and I nodded. “In my home it tends to be very quiet. Don't ask why because I couldn't tell you what the reason is. My theory is because my children are never at home.”

“Children?”

“Yes, my eldest son Kegan who is to marry that Amanda, Kegan's twin Regan, and my daughter Lydia.” I nodded out of politeness but really I was curious about his children. I didn't realize he had a big family like I had. Well not quiet as big but still it's large.

“I would imagine they would make more noise than you suggest sir. I have four siblings myself and my mother hates the racket we cause.” He looked at me in disbelief for a moment. Then he stared as if he was noticing me for the first time.

“You know James was right. You are a lovely girl. Maybe you could talk Lydia into giving you a make-over before you leave to go see T.J,” he said with a kindness in his voice. Really what it sounded like he was trying to say to me was that I looked like a dirty rag doll.

“Thank you, but I feel kind of, um, under dressed sounds like the word I'm looking for, and I would love a bathroom right about now,” I said the latter with a little urgency. What, I just slept through an hour and I had a big glass of water while I was packing. I needed relief badly, if you know what I'm getting at.

“Sorry, I didn't think of that. The easiest or closest bathroom is down the hall and first door to your right. When your finished you can head to your room which is the second floor and the first door on your left,” he explained as we walked through the big solid oak door. I didn't really stop to awe over the house as I was kind of in a hurry.

I found the bathroom with ease and I felt much better afterwards. Seriously have you ever used the bathroom in a strange place and then suddenly felt more comfortable. That's what happened to me and I thought it was really weird. I walked out of the bathroom and found myself in a very spacey hall way. There was a few small tables along the walls holding different types of flowers that made it smell like a flower garden. I love it, and I'm sure Abby would have loved it. If she would have gotten to visit me here. To bad I'm relocating in a week. I wonder how far I'll be going?
♠ ♠ ♠
let me know what you think please.

hope you enjoy it.