Status: Going under Editing! Tell your friends and family the series is coming back as a whole new story!

How Could This Happen to Me?

Still in Kegan's POV!

I awoke with a start because something was wrong. I couldn't hear that noise. That thump. Where had the thump gone? I sighed. I knew it was addicting. Just the sound of her heart. It's insane. “No, they did not abuse me for the last time,” the voice came the same time the thump did. Father had been speaking with her about the bruising. I knew I shouldn't have said anything. “Why does this happen to me,” she whispered. I could hear her slide the length of the door to the floor as she sat down. I sighed. I got up with difficulty from my twisted and tangled sheets, and slowly made my way to the door.

“Madeline,” I said groggily. The sad part about that is I wasn't acting. She didn't look up as she sighed. Oh no, not again, I heard her think. I smiled slightly as I walked over to the wall next to her and took a seat. “Are you alright?”

“What,” she asked in shock. Her heart sped up slightly and that thumping was so rhythmic. I just wanted it to be quiet, but then again wasn't that what woke me this morning.

“Are you okay,” I tried again. She looked like she was going to run and start screaming bloody murder.

“No,” she answered simply.

“What happened?” She sighed and she thought something that I couldn't quite make out. It was strange for the past twenty-four hours I've known this girl, and I can only hear bits and pieces of what she thinks of me.

“You must have told your father about my bruises. He thought my father and my brothers were abusing me. Really my brothers never hit me once, except Benny but that's only because we fight. My father on the other hand, is a different story. He wouldn't normally physically abuse Abby and me, but he would do anything he could to hurt us.” Her voice took on a sadness that I never could have imagined that a human would posses.

“I'm sorry. I didn't think before I told him. I thought afterwards that I probably made a mistake though,” I said as I turned my head to stare down the hall.

“Why are you being nice smurf,” she asked.

“Because you seem like you need a friend Maddie.”

We sat in silence. She sat with her knees up, elbows on needs and her face buried in her arms and I just sad sprawled out on the floor. She looked like she was crying, but I could hear that rhythmic heart beat. She was asleep. I sighed as I made my way off the floor. As soon as I was up I gently picked her up and took her into her room. I got her situated so she was at least a little comfortable as I went down stairs.

“Good morning Keg. Want some breakfast,” Lydia said as she held out a white foam cup. It looked like a normal restaurant cup, but I could see the dark crimson liquid, I could smell it's lusciousness. I reluctantly took the cup from her and began to sip on it. “So I hear, that you stayed home instead of going to dinner last night.” Her eyes held an intensity that reminded me of what dinner meant.

“Yeah, I was just tired. I needed some rest,” I answered as I sipped.

“Right. Is she asleep.” I nodded and Lydia smiled. “Keg, don't get to attached okay.” I nodded once again. “Now, your fiancée is coming today. Don't you think it would be inappropriate to let her see you in just a pair of sweats.” I smiled at that.

“Okay fine I'll go change.” I laughed as I took my cup and walked back up the stairs. Thump, I heard as soon as I passed her door. I sighed. “How am I supposed to do this,” I said aloud as I walked into my room and changed into a random pair of ripped jeans and a band tee shirt.

“Today should be interesting,” I heard Lydia comment.

“You know don't you,” I sighed. I heard her giggle.

“You have a crush on your best friend's birthday present,” she whispered so low I almost missed it from my room. I smiled.

“Maybe I do.”
♠ ♠ ♠
hi again. sorry for the short chapter but this is for some special subscribers I'd like
to thank... foxfangal14 and Musicmakesmelove and XxfrozenblackrosexX
thanks for the feed back... hope you guys enjoy! and I can only hope my other readers
enjoy the story as much as they do.

I'm off to bed. I'll right more tomorrow.
Adios