Teenage Riot

Edie Sedgwick

Kyra's POV

"I don't know how she did it. Fire
She was shaking all over. It took
her hours to put her make-up on.
But she did it. Even the false eye-lashes."


You know Eddie Sedgwick? It doesn't matter if you did, she is dead. Sometimes I really think of her, every time I try it. Would she have tried for the kingdom if she had felt like a man? I wasn't the end. Patti Smith wrote her a poem, and she was warhol's muse. I miss her I really do. She died the year mother fucked father. Its wrong isn't it? It really is, to think of her every time I get a shot. Its like a tribute to her, to her and Lou reed.

"How her ermine hair
turned men around
she was white on white
so blonde on blonde"


But I'm just laying below the bridge, exactly below the bridge. The Brooklyn Bridge, its a cult to everyone here. They all come to think and think and puke and shot and they know shit, they know shit about us. There is this man and a group of boys and girls, and they come with their citizen smile and jeans like everyone out here. Citizen is the only way to be no one in New York. We never wanted to be no one, and there is this group of citizens and they say they can save us.

“And you can’t help me not, you guys
And all you sweet girls with all your sweet silly talk
You can all go take a walk”


I'm really cold; it’s not like the last time. I'm an addict, but I hadn't tried her until two years ago, and this is the third time I try her. And I am addicted to her. In ways you can't even imagine, but now I'm thinking about her tomorrow, I'm thinking about it. It’s the same needle, I called it Edie. It’s her tribute, and I love her, I wish I could tell her so.

The bridge is flashing past over my head. Have you ever laid below the bridge? I do it every time. The cars go flashing, flash and flash. I put my hand and speed it over my head and that's how they flash. I counted them once, in eight minutes, 69 cars. I smile, because they are 69.

Then she flashes by, she really does. Liz, she is a poet, "A fucked up poet!" I yell at her and she just cocks her head back, she is holding this cigar she stole from Wall Street. No shit she steals from the richest.

They are this men in suit, they are all smoking in the midst of the day, and they have all imaginary hats on, because it would be so fancy, but anyway, she runs in her old shirt and ripped jeans and she steals the big cigars, and then she runs like she can't stop, and I think she can't stop. Liz can never stop.

She turns her head around; she ain't giving me her time tonight. Her precious time out and in of mind, and everything that means.

“I'd get
inside
her move
and we'd
turn around
and she'd
turn around
and turn the head
of everyone in town”


Its okay I have Edie, I've always had Edie.

The subway is fucking the rails of the bridge, they are really fucking, its erotic, its like they can never stop, they make this squirm and I can never tell if it turns me on or hurts. But they do, it’s like the velvet underground. It’s the smack really. Maybe it’s just me but Johnny is screwed up tonight. He loves Rio you know? He does, fuck he does! And he loves Liz! But she screws him so damn hard. You can see it up his pale face, he loves them both. He is laying back with me.

"It’s my wife and its my life"

"Johnny?" I ask him in the politest voice I have, because he is screwed and I'm with Edie.

He jerks his head back, he never talks when he don't have too, and I'm like his sister, so he doesn't. He just looks at me with his black eyes, but they are shinning, they shine when he looks at the city. Nothing is ever opaque on this city. There is always the light of a sign, or a street lamp, or lantern in a building, or reflections in the river. His pupils shine, its just a white glow but they shine.

"Do you think anybody knows we are here?"

"Like who? The pigs? Your mother?" He replies fast and if I didn't know him, I wouldn't understand, but I do. He is just asking. "God?" He adds playfully while laughing with the empty beer can, he is not laughing with me, but he is not laughing of me, if anything he is laughing of god, or himself, maybe he laughs with god about himself.

"Like Edie" I reply, quite simply. Now Liz is looking at us, she is unreachable but she loves us. Like Johnny loves Rio and her. She is looking at us with her piercing eyes that never say enough, but they do leave you wanting less.

"No" Johnny bites, he ain't lying. He thinks so, and it kills me, but he is still thinking so, and now he approaches me. With his dirty jacket and his mess of hair, and the black eyes that they all love, and the empty beer can. He tumbles his way to me and falls off next to my hair. He kneels, or tries to and he is mumbling something. He grabs my wrists and he is yelling at me to stop and stop and stop. He grabs my wrists and he is pulling me on my feet, but I can't stay on my feet.

He pulls me on my feet and I'm crashing to his chest, his sickeningly pale chest, below the jacket. And I'm kissing him, and Liz is probably thinking about the plastered lipstick on my face, and the black make up on my eyes, just like Edie's. But I've been crying and sweating and it is all clashing up my skin, and now it’s on his. Cos I'm kissing him, and I'm pressing me to his warmth. Johnny shouldn't be so fucking warm, but he is and I circle my head over his chest, and I'm crying and I'm probably hurting him.

“She broke down
like a baby
like a baby girl
like a lady”


He just wraps his arms around me. He seizes me with him, he takes everything I have and pulls it in him. I'm not even standing anymore; I'm just being over him. it kills Liz, it really does, but its much more than that. This, all this all we are doing and my hand on his cock, and Keith and Rio ignoring us, and Liz is staring at us. It’s so much bleeding more. It’s like we all have our intimacies so fucking bounded, that we'd die if any of us disappeared.

It’s not about couples and relationships all the time. Like Warhol would say "Sex is so abstract" its like we are performing murder and birth on each others mind 24 hours a day, every day of our weeks.

"Like a baby
Like a lady
Like a baby tease
Like a shooter
Like warhol's star
Like a lady factory
Like a pleaser please"


"Will we change the world?" I start crying for real. I never cry but I cry him for real, and now I see I'm kicking him, and yelling. Liz is trembling away, she is vanishing, and Rio is the one coming over to us, Keith is the one sighing. You know there is always someone sighing? Keith sighs, thats Keith, its his breath to the city, his sound to New York, the vapor out of his mouth its the oxygen he gives away.

But you know what? His sigh is a No.

”Then thank God that Im as good as dead
Then thank your God that Im not aware
And thank God that I just dont care”


But Edie? Will we change the world?

“And I guess I just dont know
And I guess I just dont know”
♠ ♠ ♠
Maybe now I'll re-do this