So Two Years Ago

Ten

Chapter Ten:

Andy, Patrick, Joe, Pete and I sat in the basement for maybe an hour or two; I wasn’t wearing a watch. In that time, however long it was, our topic of discussion had shifted from my job to everyone’s favorite movies, which led to the sharing of various movie quotes for probably 20 minutes. The choice of films ranged from Heathers and Pretty In Pink to Rushmore and Reality Bites, and were mostly unrelated, but I think that just made the conversation (if you could call it that) more interesting.
I took a few moments to calm my laughter, catch my breath and check my watch. My wide smile wilted a little.
“Your watch not telling what you want it to?” Andy questioned my shift in demeanor.
“No, it isn’t. Stupid time, never stopping and all.”
“Aw… don’t tell us you have to leave!” Joe whined loudly, wrapping his fingers around my arm to keep me in my seat.
“Geez, are you guys that bored with each other that you need me to keep you entertained?” I chuckled at Joe’s hand keeping a tight grip on me.
“Yes,” Patrick and Andy answered flatly, in unison.
“Hey! I’m entertaining!” Pete stood and spoke defensively, but received only unbridled snickers in return.
“Sorry guys, but I have work tomorrow and I still need to finish unpacking,” I pried Joe’s fingers loose and stood up. “Aside from the awkward start, this has been a really great time.”
“So, it’s safe to say that you’d be willing to come back…?” Patrick asked, hopefully.
“Oh, I don’t know…,” I teased. “I’ll have to think about it.” I was immediately bombarded with pouts and puppy eyes, and I couldn’t help but give in. “Fine, fine. I’ll come back and play.”
I picked up my purse from its place on the floor and slung it over my shoulder.
“I’ll walk you out to your car, Tessa,” Andy stood at my side.
“Oh, yea. Ya never know what kind of hooligans are roaming the wild streets of Wilmette,” Pete snickered, promptly receiving a dirty look from the man standing next to me.
Before we parted ways, the three remaining boys and I exchanged hugs, and Andy and I took to the stairs.
“So,” he began as we reached the front door and stepped outside. “How was your first day in Illinois?”
“Minus the 20 minutes I spent wandering aimlessly around Chicago and the terribly uncomfortable reunion with my ex-best friend?” He nodded with a grin. “I’d say it ranks among the best days I can remember,” I smiled half-dreamily at him without really knowing it.
“Glad to hear that.” To my surprise, his expression seemed to be mirroring my own. I dismissed the idea, though, as my hopes playing tricks on my mind.
He pulled me into a tight hug that seemed to warm my body and I smiled into his shoulder so he couldn’t see.
“I’ll call you sometime and we can all hang out again,” he spoke softly as the two of us separated.
“How can you call me if you don’t have my phone number?”
His cheeks turned a pale pink as he chuckled. “Good question.”
“Well,” I said with a flirtatious giggle-- geez, I suddenly felt like I was in eleventh grade English passing ‘Will you go to the prom with me?’ notes to the boy in back of me. “How about I just give it to you?” He nodded and I scribbled the digits onto a gum wrapper I found at the bottom of my purse.
“Ok, now I’ll call you sometime.”
“You’d better,” I pointed a finger at him and unlocked and opened the driver’s side door of my car.
He raised his right hand, “Scout’s honor.”
“Good,” I sat down behind the wheel, the door still opened. “Talk to you later, then.”
“Yep. Later, Tess.” He grinned and waved, and I shut the door and started the engine.
I don’t think my smile faded one bit during my drive home.