So Two Years Ago

Twelve

Chapter Twelve:

By the time 4:55pm rolled around, I was staring at the clock so intently that you’d think I was trying to shoot lasers from my eyes. At that point, I’d basically forgotten about my work. What could I really do in five minutes, anyway? The long hand clicked over to the 12 and I immediately jumped up from my seat, trying my best to keep my excitement contained.
I suppose it was obvious, though, as I noticed a few raised eyebrows around the room. It didn’t bother me. I was far too excited to be seeing the guys again to really take much notice, anyway.
I grabbed my purse from the floor by my chair and slung it over my shoulder, ready to make my way to Wilmette. Turning from my desk to leave, though, I gasped to find someone standing directly behind me.
“It’s your first day, and already, you’re running out of the building at five o’clock,” Jack chuckled.
I grinned in return. “Yea, I guess I am sort of racing off.”
“I’m just joking with you, Tessa. How did you enjoy your first day with us, though?”
“I really enjoyed it,” I tried to sound genuine, because I truly meant it. He raised a brow, though, suggesting that I might be exaggerating. “Honestly.”
“Well, I’m glad to hear that. We really are very happy to have you.”
“Thanks.” I’d never really had a friendly relationship with a boss, before. But I had a feeling that it must be nice, and I was delighted to think I could have that kind of friendship with Jack. He seemed pretty hip. Like that cool English teacher you had in high school who would let you eat during class and say things like, “The Great Gatsby is a fucking classic. You guys are gonna love it.” Or was I the only one with teachers like that?
“Got big plans, tonight, I take it?”
“Eh, not really. Just hanging out with some new friends.” I was fidgeting with the straps of my bag, and I guess he noticed.
“Alright, I won’t keep you any longer. Go ahead and get out of here.” He grinned a smug but sort of handsome grin and sent me on my way.
It wasn’t until I was in my car and sitting in a long line of traffic that I realized that I wasn’t the only person in the city getting off of work. Fucking rush hour.
While I waited behind an obnoxiously shiny red sports car, I pulled my phone out of my purse and scrolled through my recent calls for Andy’s number.
It rang three or four times before he picked up, and when he did there were loud laughing voices in the background. “Shh. Dudes, shut up. Hey Tessa.”
“Man, I’m totally gonna kick your ass!” I heard Pete shout, his voice muffled by his distance from the phone.
“Uh, hey,” I giggled. “What’s going on over there?”
“Pete and Joe are having an epic Guitar Hero battle.”
“Epic, your say?”
“Guitar Hero battles are always epic,” he spoke with a smirk.
“Of course, how could I not have known?”
“Anyway, what’s up? Off work?”
“Yea, I’m off, but I’m currently sitting in my car two feet past the same Starbucks I was sitting in front of 10 minutes ago.”
“Oh yea. It is 5 o’clock, isn’t it?”
“Yes, and apparently, I’m not the only person who goes to work in Chicago. So, I’m probably going to be later than I thought.”
“That’s alright. We’ll wait.”
“Epic Guitar Hero battle, round two?”
“This game can keep us entertained for hours.”
“Hopefully, I won’t be that long.”
“Hopefully.”
“Well, I just wanted to let you know. So you wouldn’t think I got lost.”
He gasped, jokingly, “I would never think such a thing!”
“Psh. Sure, sure. Anyway, I’ll see you when I get there.”
“Alright, later, Tess.”