So Two Years Ago

Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen:

((Tessa’s POV))
I don’t know what it was, but something had compelled me to tell him what I’d said to Jack. Perhaps it was the vague hope that he’d take it as some hint of my feelings, though I didn’t even entirely mean it as such.
To my delight, it seemed as though that was exactly what happened. “…Maybe I could, um… actually be your boyfriend?” He was fidgeting slightly and stumbling over his words, and I could tell that he was feeling what I’d wished he would be.
“I think you could,” I answered him with a grin growing on my face.
“That was easier than I was making it out to be,” Andy said, almost as though he were talking to himself aloud.
“What do you mean?”
“I guess I was just kind of nervous that you’d think it strange for some guy you’ve only known for a handful of days to be asking you out, that’s all.”
“Well, when you put it like that, I guess it does sound sort of strange. But it doesn’t feel strange, so you’re in the clear,” I finished with a girlish giggle.
“Good,” he smiled with a contentment apparent in his eyes as he took my hand in his and we continued around the block. We had nearly come back to where we started, at that point, and once Patrick’s house came back into view, Andy asked, “So, what do you want to do? Go inside and brave Gwen’s wrath?”
“Ugh,” I groaned, throwing my head back in exaggerated frustration. “To be honest, I think I might just head home. I’m sort of hungry, seeing as how I ran out in the middle of my dinner.”
“Then, how about we go somewhere to get some food?”
“Alright.”
He led me up the sidewalk and into Patrick’s house so we could tell the guys where we were going. “Geez, did you guys get lost on your way to the door or something?” Pete chuckled to himself.
Andy and I, and everyone else, it seemed, ignored him, though. “Just wanted to let you know that we’re going to get something to eat, so you don’t think we were abducted or something.”
“You’re not even gonna hang out with us?” Joe said in a whiney tone. “Losers.”
I rolled my eyes. “We’ll be back, Joe. I promise.”
On our way to the door, I heard Patrick mutter something that sounded like, “Shut up, Joe. He just wants to spend some time with his lady.” There were muffled snickers as Andy and I stepped outside.
I had cocked my eyebrow to what I thought I heard, and Andy took notice, “Sorry. Those guys are dumbasses sometimes.”
He chuckled and I grinned at him. “Yea, I had definitely figured that out by now.” I had pulled my car keys out of my purse, by some kind of habit, I guess. Walk outside, take out my keys-- it felt natural.
“You don’t mind if I drive, do you?” Andy asked, indicating the keys in my hand.
“Oh, yea, that’s fine. If you want to.”
“What kind of gentleman would I be if I didn’t? Besides, you don’t know where we’re going.”
“And you do?”
“I had somewhere in mind,” he said as the two of us sat down in his car and shut our doors. “No place special, but I thought it’d be an alright first date.”
“First date? Geez, you move fast, Hurley.”
He chuckled as he turned the key in the ignition and started toward the end of the street. “Well, you’re here, I’m here. Why not?”
“Why not, indeed.”