So Two Years Ago

Twenty

Chapter Twenty:

((Tessa’s POV))
“I understand if you need some time to think it through,” Andy spoke after a moment or two of shock-induced silence on my part, reaching across the table and laying a hand on mine to regain my unfocused attention.
“Yea… I mean, don’t get me wrong. It sounds like a great opportunity. And probably a lot of fun, too. But, how am I supposed to tour around with you guys and expect to keep my job?”
“Good point…,” he said, with a disappointed sense of realization.
“I just don’t see how I could do it without getting fired. And while not having a job while I’m touring all over the country would work out perfectly, I have a feeling I might need it when I get back.”
“Yea, I get what you mean.”
“Sorry. You sound pretty disappointed.”
“I had it all worked out in my head, that’s all. Now I feel like an asshole for asking you out when I knew I’d be leaving in a week.”
“Well, it sucks, that’s for sure,” I began, continuing promptly when I noticed his mouth droop further into a frown. “But I don’t blame you. It was a good plan. It would just be a lot better if it could actually work out.”
Things had gotten quiet and uncomfortable very suddenly as the two of us sat dwelling on the matter, avoiding each others eyes.
“Hey, wait a second,” he spoke abruptly. “You work for a production company!”
“So?”
So, why don’t you talk to your boss about making the film for his company! It’s perfect! You’ll be able to come with us and make our DVD, and you’ll get to keep your job!”
“That is a great idea, but, you forget, I work as a secretary, not a filmmaker. I don’t think I have much say in what projects he takes on, let alone in volunteering myself to work on one of them.”
“Alright, then I’ll talk to him.”
“I don’t know if that’s such a good idea.”
“Why not?”
“Well, you are the previously fake boyfriend who ruined his big dinner plans earlier tonight. He might be kind of resentful.”
“That’s certainly not very professional of him to pass up a business opportunity because of something like that.”
“True, but it’s also not exactly professional of him to put the moves on his employees, either. Something tells me business ethics aren’t always his top priority.”
“Then we’ll all talk to him about it. The whole band, not just me.”
“I dunno….” I really didn’t want this to jeopardize my job, no matter how badly I wanted to go with them.
“Come on. It’ll work, I promise!” He grabbed my hands once more, in an attempt to convince me.
“How do you know?”
“Well, I don’t. But it’s got to!”
I bit my lip in contemplation, still a little skeptical. It wasn’t that Jack was some terrible, heartless businessman, but he obviously had trouble keeping his personal life out of his work.
“Come on…. Please,” Andy pleaded, shaking my hands gently in between his own.
“Alright, alright. You guys talk to him about it. But if you get me fired, I’m living off your money, rock star.”