So Two Years Ago

Eight

Chapter Eight:

As the footsteps came closer, I began to wonder more and more about to who they belonged. Parent? Sibling? Friend? Girlfriend? I was curious.
Pete stood up, approaching the staircase and called to the person coming down, “Geez, there you are. I thought you got lost or something.” He smirked.
“Oh shut up.” The voice was vaguely familiar, but disguised by a mouth-full of something.
“Seriously, you go to get something to eat and you’re gone for like 15 minutes.” The mystery individual, who I’d decided was female from the semi-distorted voice was now only one or two steps from the basement. Pete continued, “Anyway, get your ass down here, Gwen, and meet our new friend.”
“Alright, alright, I’m here.” She was downstairs, now and her mouth was free of obstructive food. That voice rang clearly in my mind and resonated through my memory. I knew it.
She took the last step into the room and playfully shoved Pete. He introduced us. “Tessa Lane, this is my girlfriend, Gwen Gardner.”
Gwen? “Hi… Ally,” I addressed her hesitantly. She’d remember me, I knew she would. But how she’d remember me was cause for concern on my part.
“What the hell are you doing here?” She spoke brazenly with suddenly harsh glare.
The guys looked at her with wide eyes, shocked at her attitude.
“I-- Wha-What?” I was overwhelmed by her brash words. It’s true, we hadn’t seen each other in about a year, and the circumstances of our separation were far from pleasant, but this kind of reunion was totally unexpected.
“Uh, Gwen, do you two know each other?” Pete glanced back and forth between the two of us with an expression of absolute confusion.
“Yea, we do,” she spat, crossing her arms over her chest.
“Um, you’re going by Gwen, now?” That’s all I could think to say; my mind had frozen, half in shock and half afraid of what she’d do or say next.
“What the fuck do you care, Tessa? I thought for sure you would’ve forgotten about me the second you got me kicked out,” Ally snarled, taking a few threatening steps toward me. I stood from my place on the sofa as Pete placed a hand on her shoulder, stopping her in her tracks.
Since I’d gotten her kicked out? She’d gotten herself kicked out, dammit-- No, no. I can’t let myself get angry at her. I just need to get out of here before this wonderful day is ruined any further.
I addressed the boys, “I-I’m sorry. I’m just going to leave.” Their confusion hadn’t left them, but was now joined by a disappointment that, honestly, made me feel good about myself.
“You don’t have to leave, Tess,” Andy stood by my side, almost defensively toward Ally.
“Sorry, but, I think I should.” Ally continued to stare me down as I cautiously stepped past her. “Thanks for having me over, Pete. It was so nice to meet you all. Hopefully I’ll see you again, some time,” I spoke graciously, with the fear that this brief meeting would be our last, and waved goodbye before ascending the stairs and leaving the house.
I stepped outside, holding back tears, though I couldn’t decide why they were forming, and fished through my purse for my car keys.
Of course this is how it would happen. I would work hard and actually get an incredible opportunity. I’d have found what looked like the life I’d always wanted, and something would come along to ruin it.
I wasn’t upset because she’d screwed up my time with Fall Out Boy. She’d screwed up my time with my new friends. My only friends in this new place.
I assured myself that I would get over it; they wouldn’t want to hang out with the girl who brought drama with her, and I could understand that. I’d find new friends elsewhere.
I found my keys underneath my wallet and approached the driver’s side door of my car. Before I could reach my hand toward the lock, I heard a voice calling my name.
“Tess! Tessa, wait!” Andy ran out of the front door. I did as he said, embarrassed, though, by the scene that I’d caused in the basement. “Tessa, don’t go.” He panted, stopping in front of me.
“Andy, I really appreciate you inviting to hang out with you guys. It was a good time while it lasted, but I don’t want to cause trouble.”
“Look, I don’t know what went on between you and Gw-- err, Ally. It’s probably none of my business. But I do know that the rest of us, Pete included, want you to come back in and hang out.” I was hesitant to consent. “C’mon. We’ll lock Pete and Ally in another room if we have to.” He smirked.
I chuckled, considering his offer. “Well….”
“Pleeease…?”
“Alright.”