Caroline's Keeper

One: Feeling Lonely

Caroline turned over in her bed for what seemed like the billionth time. Her eyelids wouldn't stay closed for more than a second. She tried desperately to convince herself that it was only due to the uncomfortable position she was in, but how many different sleeping positions could there possibly be?

Finally, she gave up trying to sleep and sat upright in her bed. She glanced at the clock to find out that it was one-thirty. Caroline hated the summer because she slept in so often that she eventually started to stay up late, distorting her sleep schedule.

As much as she wished she could lay back down and just fall asleep, Caroline knew that, ironically, the worst way to go about sleeping when you can't is to stay in bed. On the contrary, you should perform a ritual that you usually do straight before you go to bed, to let your body know it's time to sleep.

And Caroline always performed her rituals before she fell asleep, so tonight was no different. She was out of things to do, and wide awake in her bed.

Suddenly, Caroline had an urge to do something that she hadn't done in over a year. After grabbing her glasses off her nightstand and slipping them on her face, she stepped out of her room and walked down the hall, slowly and quietly, past her parents' bedroom. They were both sound asleep. Caroline stood there for a second, envying their ability to slumber, then continued down the stairs.

She reached the back door, grabbed her favorite grey hoodie off its hook, and pulled it over her head. Gingerly, she opened the door, hoping to soften its creaks, and once she was outside, she closed it just the same way.

It was almost too dark to see, but Caroline knew the way like the back of her hand, so it wouldn't be a problem. Outside, the fresh, cool air felt great against her lungs and face. She found the silence quite peaceful, especially when compared to the whirring fans scattered through her house. As she was experiencing all these familiar sensations, the only thing that seemed wrong was the feeling of loneliness that swept over her.

She began her journey, her hand yearning for another to hold it. She hadn't missed Simon since weeks after they broke up, but this whole thing felt so awkward to her without him.

As she stepped into the park, the definite solitude that had been hanging over her deepened. She sat on one of the swings and rocked back and forth, not letting her toes leave the dirt.

For a sliver of a moment, Caroline wished Simon was there with her. Ever so fondly, she recalled the previous summer, sitting on these same swings, fantasizing about their future together.

However, now their futures were separate. They would no longer grow old together, and that made Caroline feel so lonely...

"Feeling lonely?" came a man's voice from behind her. She spun around on the swing, hoping to see Simon but knowing she wouldn't.

She couldn't tell what he looked like in this darkness, but Caroline was already sure this man wasn't her ex-boyfriend. Instead of the soft expression Simon always used to wear, he looked arrogant and snide. Smugly, he looked at her like they'd known each other all their lives, when Caroline could swear she'd never seen him before.

"Who—who are you?" she asked him, standing up off the swing.

He laughed, seeming to mock her ever-apparent apprehension. "That information won't be necessary. But, because you're just so inquisitive, you may call me Eivon."

Caroline felt a lump form in her throat, although she'd never known anyone with that name before. If she didn't know him, how did he know how she was feeling?

Eivon paused, as though waiting for her to talk, but when she didn't, he said, "Your sort. So vulnerable, so emotional." He took a few steps forward and reached out to touch her cheek. "So attractive."

Caroline pulled back, groaning in disgust. Of all the people he could have messed with, and he picked her. She'd show him... "Watch it, creep," she retorted, her confidence finally kicking in, "or I'll slit your throat."

"With what?" he laughed. "That mangy little pocket knife you carry? You may as well use your nose!"

In shock, she slowly pulled her meritless knife out of the front pocket of her hoodie, flipped out the blade and caressed it. Eivon was right, the knife was completely useless. But he wasn't supposed to know that, especially in this kind of darkness. No one was even aware that she had the knife.

"How did you know?" she asked, stepping back again.

Eivon then stepped forward, as if he didn't want Caroline to get too far away from him. "All right, now you're beginning to pester me. All of your inquiries, though foolish as they may be, will be answered if you just do as I say."

She nodded, still astonished that he knew about her pocket knife. She figured he must have been some kind of stalker, following her home from the supermarket, breaking into her house and rooting through her things when she wasn't paying attention. The thought revolted her.

Eivon laughed, breaking into Caroline's thoughts. She could have sworn he was laughing at her, but she hadn't said anything.

Before she could protest, he grabbed her head and brought his lips to hers. But, instead of kissing her, he opened his mouth and exhaled.

Caroline gasped and watched her surroundings suddenly become an unimaginably dark shade of black.