Death's Embrace

Death Wish

I turned off the car and leaned my head against the wheel. Everything was just so wrong. I just was too weary, too worn out to continue on like this. I sighed and closed my eyes in the darkness, listening to my last few breaths, or so I hoped this time. The clock flashed 12:35 A.M.

I finally brought myself to open the door and get out. I pulled my jean jacket a little tighter as I made my way to the edge of the bridge. The water gushed and gurgled angrily fifty feet below me. Just a little fall and it would all be over, if I didn't chicken out this time.

The previous times, thoughts of my family and friends had kept me from actually doing it. But now I was at the bridge. They wouldn't have to see my mangled body...

I climbed to the rails, my white sun dress whipping around my legs in the wind. I looked down at the rocks; it would be nearly painless if it went quickly. At the last possible moment, something strange happened. My head whipped around and my eyes rested on a space next to my car. Something was off. I had that strange feeling I was being watched.

I generally felt like I was being watched, and I resented it. I hated being this paranoid freak that this world had made me into. I hated this wretched body I was stuck in. Oh, there was nothing wrong with it. Some people might consider it very shapely with a lovely face to compliment it, but I hated it! It kept me here in this god forsaken world! This wretched world filled with horrible people who could only think of material things and getting ahead of each other! Horrible!

No, I didn't consider myself a saint by any means either, but I just couldn't stay here anymore. I was prepared to face an eternity of nothingness, or hell, whichever you wanted to believe in. I edged along the rail. Just jump! It should be so simple! Gravity would do most of the work! But something held me back...

I pictured my older sister, her tearful face upon learning of my death. She didn't deserve to be put through such misery. My mother, well, she would probably be happy. I wouldn't be such a burden dead as I was alive. I didn't have a boyfriend, the rest of my family didn't speak to me, and all my friends were guys that probably wouldn't notice if I didn't show up at school tomorrow. I had just started my senior year and had multiple colleges offering me scholarships, but the very idea of college scarred me beyond end. Why? It just- didn't feel- right. If you know what I mean...

My sister...No! Get that out of my head. Just do it! I leaned a little further from the rail. A frown of sorrow passed across my face as I closed my eyes. Tears rolled freely down my cheeks, freezing against my skin in the cold night air. I wouldn't be able to hurt anyone anymore...

My eyes opened as anger surged through me for the first time in a long time. I didn't know where it came from, but I was just so angry at the world! They all had driven me to this, but this was wrong! How could they treat me this way? I climbed back over the railing.

Once on the other side, I sank to the ground and pulled my knees up to my chest, sobbing. I had been so close this time! So close! I could have finally made it! So very close...

"Get up!" someone gripped my arm and yanked me to me feet. My first thought was it was someone from school, but I didn't recognize him. The boy looked just a little older than me, with lovely dark eyes and spiky brown-red hair.

"My God!" I whispered glancing at his black wings.

There was a ringing of metal as he drew a sword out of a scabbared and held it to my throat, "If you won't do it, then-" he seemed to see me for the first time. He peered into my face, "You're just a kid." he whispered, lowering his sword slightly.

"I've already turned eighteen." I replied indignately.

"Well then, why do you keep praying for me?!" he hissed fiercly, the sword was pressed against my throat again. I could feel the dge of the chilled blade move across my skin, begging the weilder to press just a little more so it could bathe in blood once slitting through my skin like butter.

"W-what?" I stammered. Part of me would be glad this boy would end it for me, but another part of me was curious.

"You-keep-begging-for-me-to-take-you! Death? Ya, that's me!" he whispered in fury. "What is so horrible about your life anyway?" his eyes glinted dangerously in the moonlight.

"Nothing." I looked down, knowing my words were true.

"Then why?" he jerked me roughly. He brought me inches away from his face.

My eyes flashed up at him, "I can't keep going anymore. I'm just so tired, all the time. This world sickens me to no end." With every word, his sword lowered slightly.

"Then we have something in common." he eyed me with a slight curiosity, but tried not to show it. I could feel his interest though. It was like my stomach twisted into a thousand knots and froze over. I knew he was having strange thoughts about me. I could always tell. My stomach always did just that around guys with strange thoughts- and I hated it. Just another thing that drove me to seek solitude. Nasty hormonal boys...

"Do you know how many times you've dragged me to you?"

I shook my head.

"Fifty-seven!" his sword rose slightly. "And have you ever just ended it? NO!" his face was inches from mine again, contorted in rage.

"Then end it for me!" I whispered back, too tired to go on like this.

"I-I don't think I can." he seemed- shocked. Now why would he be shocked?

"Why not?!" another tear rolled down my face. He wiped it away absently, then pulled his hand back as if I had burned him. He looked at the tear on his fingertips, horrified at what he had done.

"What are you doing to me?" he asked softly. I wasn't sure if he was really talking to me or just thinking outloud.

"I'm not doing anything!" I said, trying to pull my arm from his grasp. He looked back at me, stricken still.

"You lying witch!" he shoved me down on the pavement and rested the edge of his sword against my neck.

My palms were scraped up, but I didn't care. I waited. "Just do it already!" I glared up at him as my stomach tightened and froze. His gaze lingered over me. I jumped as he threw done the sword. It bounced against the black river of cement that was the road before coming to a rest, gleaming in the moonlight. The boy squatted before me.

"Look, I don't know why I can't take you, but I can't." he brushed a few strands of hair out of my eyes absently, but his face was still as hard as stone. He pulled his hand away, almost reluctantly. He just watched me now, a look of wonder passed over his face. It was so quiet, I could hear the sound of his breathing, slow and calm.

"I should go." I got to my feet. Death stood too (that's what I was calling him in my mind at least). He towered over me.

"Let me take you home!" he stepped in front of me, blocking my path to the car.

"I don't think that's a good idea." I sighed, placing a hand over my eyes in sorrow and frustration. I felt a gentle tug at my hand as he pulled it away.

Death yanked me to him before I could react. My cool lips locked repeatedly with his icy ones. His arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me against his hard, cold body. His other hand rested lightly on my neck. Our kisses grew more passionate, more intense. I felt like I was going to lose myself in him, but I loved it. No! I pulled away right as I felt myself slipping away into the nothingness.

I looked at Death in the pale moonlight. His eyes were still closed, his mouth slightly open as he seemed to savor the memory of our kiss. His eyes flashed open and softened on me. "You're truly not afraid of me." he whispered in awe. "Everyone is afraid of me."

"I do not fear death."

"Then what?" he whispered, his lips inches from mine again.

"Life." I answered and his eyes locked with mine.

"That's different." he smirked.

"Obviously." I replied as his lips brushed mine softly. They nearly drove me mad with longing, but I resisted. Death exhaled in ecstasy at finding someone like me. I wasn't sure if that was good or bad. I wasn't sure of much at the moment.

"Come on." he took my hand and pulled me down the road.