Death's Embrace

Life

Drear stumbled over to Lea, sinking down next to her in anguish. He pulled her cold, limp body into his arms and stroked her face, willing her to just open her eyes and breath. She looked just like she was sleeping...

"Lea! Lea please wake up!" Drear kissed her cold lips softly. He knew his pleas were pointless. He was Death and he could sense that she was gone. GONE!

Drear stiffened. How had she died? Had she simply given up? If that was the case then-

"Lea!" he yelled, tipping his head back to look at the high ceiling of the immense cavern. He shut his eyes in agony before turning back to look at her peaceful face. Please no!

________

I walked down the long, dark cooridor. There were windows everywhere, with opaque curtains fluttering in an unseen breeze, occasionally revealing a night sky dappled with stars. The wind was sweet with an unknown fragrance, but I didn't pay it much heed. The walls around me seemed to emminate a soft, warm light as I walked by. My bare feet made a soft padding sound over the cool tiles. Other than that, there was nothing of interest but a lone door at the end of the hall. I made my way silently to it. I didn't know where I was, but maybe I could find someone to help me...

I stopped and frowned at the door. It had no knob. No nothing. How was I supposed to get in?

Problem solved. The door swung open as two dark eyes peered out at me. "You must be Lea." a deep voice said. I nodded, wondering how the man knew my name. He stepped out from behind the door and motioned for me to come in. I walked in in a sort of daze.

The room, it seemed to me, was dark and forboding of ill things to come. Torches lined the cold, grey walls, flickering in an unseen breeze. There were no tapestries or furniture save one huge item in the middle of the room. A gigantic round table filled up at least half of the grim chamber with a map of the entire world lay situated in the center. My attention skipped to several men and the one woman whispering and pointing down at the map. The woman place her hand on the side of it, staring intently at one particular spot. I gave a start as the map moved, just like a computer screen would except it gave off no light.

"Everyone, this is the girl we were promised." the man's hand gripped my shoulder tightly. The men looked up, but the woman frowned slightly at whatever she saw in the map. She pulled her reluctant gaze from the map and placed it on me.

"Promised?" I looked into the four faces around the table and back at the man at my shoulder. Uh oh, this didn't sound good.

The woman shifted slightly. I sudenly took in that she had platinum blonde, short, spiky hair and brilliant green eyes. Her clothes were dark and remarkably like Drear's. In fact, they ALL wore clothes like Drear or Jeton's. Only they were all grey instead of white or black.

"Hmm, yes. Promised. Jeton has asked for a vacation." the woman blinked at me.

"Vacation? Why?" I frowned.

The woman shrugged, "Ask him yourself." she pointed at a door on the opposite side of the room before turning back to the map. The door swung open a second later as Jeton stepped through. Creepy timing...

"Hello, Anza." he nodded at the woman. "Opane. Forin. Hale. Junigh." he nodded to them all with a somber face before his eyes flickered to me. His face lit up as he crossed the room and took me by the arm.

"Jeton, what's going on?" I whispered as he smiled down at me. He didn't answer right away, but turned to the others.

"I'll need time to explain things to her. Mind if we take our leave?" he asked as all five gathered around the table now. They nodded absently before turning back to their previous discussion. Whatever that had been.

"Come on." Jeton pulled me across the room to yet another door. We stepped through it into a strange tunnel. It was made of stone just like the room before it, only it was completely cylindrical. At the far end was a small door.

"Here we go then." Jeton let go of my arm only to take my hand. He led me down the tunnel and through a door. We stepped over the threshold and entered an entirely different world. Fresh salt air hit me in the face. We were on a rocky island completely surrounded by a twilit sea. The waters and sky melded together in a fascinating blue-green, yet the sky had a darker look. Almost of storms to come...

"Bet you never thought you'd see this place again."

"What?" I turned to look at Jeton in confusion. He let go of my hand and climbed a little further on the rocks toward the sea.

"This was where we first met. Remember? No, of course you wouldn't. That was another lifetime."

"Jeton, what are you talking about?" I wandered up next to him to peer out over the waters.

Jeton turned to me, "It's not important really. What I came to talk to you about was this." he clasped my hand in both of his. "I need you to take over as Life for me. Just for a little while."

"You must be joking!" I blinked, not sure if I had heard him right.

Jeton sighed, "I need a breather, Lea. I know you'll do the job just perfectly in my absence." he glanced mournfully at the horizon.

"What makes you think I can handle it?"

Jeton turned back to me with eyes so intense, so like his brother's, that I almost cried out. "Lea, you will have Drear to help you."

"You have him too."

"In a way, yes." Jeton consented.

"Alright, but-" Jeton held up his hand to silence me.

"If you listen to your inner self, I will not need to explain things to you." Jeton glanced at me with the most peculiar expression. It seemed like he- no. That was impossible. "I think it's time for you to go back." Jeton sighed sadly.

"Wait, what if I don't want to?" I frowned, studying his profile. He turned to me and his eyes instantly brightened. That could have been the confirmation I needed...

"You'd stay with me?"

"Of course."

Jeton shook his head suddenly and waved his hand at me, "No, you don't mean that. You must go back now. Good luck to you."

"Why do- ahhhh!" the ground disappeared from under me. I was falling, falling for what seemed like an eternity. Then I saw it, us. Drear craddling my limp body as my soul hurtled down toward them.

BAAAAAM!

I sat up and gasped. Drear jumped back and stared at me in amazement, too stunned for words. I placed a hand over my pounding heart, "God, that hurt!"

"LEA!" Drear regained his speech and practically crushed me.

"Drear, I'm fine!" I managed to laugh.

"I thought you were gone!"

"I'm not. I'm right here." I whispered, thinking of Jeton's final words. I opened my eyes as I felt Drear pulling away from me slightly. His eyes narrowed, filling with confusion.

"Why are you back though? How are you back? Wait. Something is different about-" his words trailed off as he reached out a soft hand to touch my face. I caught his hand in mine and watched as his eyes widened.

"Lea?" he whispered questioningly, leaning back down toward me with a tender expression on his face.

"Yes. I'm back. We've established this." I smiled quietly.

"You look like- Life!"

"I am."

"LEA! Do you know what this means?" Drear laughed in pure joy. He yanked me to my feet and picked me up by the waist, twirling me around.

"What?" I laughed as he put me down and kissed me. My, how he was acting odd! Jeton...

"They can never separate us now." he pulled me close. I sensed what he was about to do before he did it. The darkness enfolded around us, carrying us back to the manor. We stumbled happily into the hall as Drear pulled me against him to kiss me again. My mind flickered back to his brother.

Drear stopped, a pained look on his face, "Did you see, Jeton?" he asked, holding my hand in his.

"I did. He's fine."

Drear nodded sadly.

"We will see him again." I said confidently, suddenly knowing that for fact and not speculation. Drear loked at me, a sad smile spreading across his face.

"If you say so, love."