Death's Embrace

Another Sign

I felt my knees crash to the stone floor with such force that I thought my bones had shattered. I looked up into Drear's baleful face. I was just too tired to keep up with his moods. I just wanted to sleep for eternity. Why couldn't this world just let me go peacefully?

Drear yanked me to my feet; I was too exhausted to resist or struggle. I just watched his resentful eyes, wondering what I could have possibly done to warrant such treatment. "Please let me die." I thought. Drear's face softened momentarily as he pulled me gently too him. Without warning, he changed back.

"Stop!" he yelled and practically threw me across the room and into the wall. I turned and sank to the floor as he walked over to me. Drear grabbed my hair and dragged me to my feet once more.

"What have I done now?" I whispered, barely any emotion in my voice. He studied my eyes as he let go of his grasp on my hair. SMACK! He back-handed me! I took it and just looked at him with blank eyes. I was so numb from internal pain that I couldn't even feel external hurts now. I waited, praying this would be the end.

"You want to know what you've done?" he hissed, clutching my arm in a would-be painful grasp. I was sure I had bruises forming.

"Wh-" he jerked me roughly before I could even get the word out.

"You've ruined me! Never before have I met someone who I could not kill!"

"Well if that's why you hate me so much-" I said dejectedly, tears now welling in my eyes. Just another person that hates me. That's all he was. Just another...

He blinked at me in confusion, slowly pulling his hand away. "I don't hate you." he said quietly.

"You sure do a good impression of it!" I sniffled, slightly disgusted with myself for being on the verge of crying in front of him- again! Drear held out his hand toward my face, taking a few steps toward me. I backed away, not wishing for him to even touch me now. He stopped in a sad realization of what he had done, but there was a new stubborness in his eyes.

"Lea, you only want to use me, nothing more." he clenched his fists at his sides.

"And you know this as fact?" I asked, wrapping my arms around myself as I tried not to sob. What did he mean by I wanted to use him? Did he think I was only interested in him because I wanted to die? But wasn't I? Or...

"No one has ever wanted me for anything more than a means to an end." Drear's dark eyes flashed at me. I stepped a little further back, but he suddenly materialized right in front of me. He pushed me into the wall, gently this time. I searched his eyes with fear, but I only saw- curiosity?

"I am sorry for you then." I looked away awkwardly, feeling a strange weight crushing my lungs. I felt like I couldn't get enough oxygen. His hand tilted my chin up so Drear, once again, could study my eyes as if they were the most fascinating things in the world. My heart began to beat slower at his touch; his hand suddenly moved to rest over it as a slight smile graced his lips.

"Completly without fear..." he whispered. He removed his hand from over my heart, wrapping it around my waist as he pulled me against him. Drear's lips brushed mine lightly, then again. He drew back so he could glance at me, making sure this was what I wanted. His lovely lips, again, twitched in a half smile before they locked on mine, passionate beyond all reason. He deepened the kiss, running a hand through my hair as he pushed me further against the wall. A firm hand grasped my wrist, pinning it to the wall by my head...

Drear's breathing was growing heavier, matching my own. Our bodies pressed against each other as desire began to arise...

"I can't! I won't!" Drear broke away suddenly. He glanced at me through confused eyes before stroming off, leaving me all alone. I sank to the floor thoroughly confused myself. I held my head in my hands and tried to make sense of it all.

I sat there for what seemed like hours before I finally got the nerve to get up off the cold floor. I stood slowly, brushing myself off- not that I really cared if I had dust on me or not. I rubbed my arms as I suddenly noticed how cold the room was. I had to find Drear...

"Finally! I thought you were going to sit there for hours." I whirled around at the voice. My eyes spotted a man that looked so much like Drear that I almost cried out. He smiled slightly, walking forward from across the room. I noticed, as a stream of light hit his face, that his eyes were not dark like Drear's, but rather a strange blue-green; the only difference between the two.

"Who are you?" I backed away quickly, a sense of dread rising in my stomach. I felt myself back up against a table; I was trapped! Trapped!

The man stopped and put his hands in his pockets. His smile was quickly replaced by a confused frown. "My brother was right, you are a strange one!"

"Brother?" I couldn't help but ask. He must have meant Drear.

He laughed, "You know, curiosity killed the cat."

"But satisfaction brought him back." I retorted, still unsure of this man. Just because he was Drear's brother didn't mean anything...

"So it did!" he beamed at me. I felt uneasy under that gaze; his smile faultered yet again. "You have had a hard life, for that I am sorry."

"What have you to do with life?"

"My dear, I AM Life."

"That's crazy!" I muttered, scooting along the edge of the table towards the door as he watched me in amusement.

"You are willing to believe in my brother but not me? I am clearly standing right in front of you. I am as real as anything."

"I know life is real." I muttered, looking for a means of escape. Ten feet to the door...

"You know, that's very hurtful. I think I know how Drear feels now." a pained look washed over his face.

I looked back over at him utterly bewildered, "What are you talking about?" I tried my best to remain calm. I had to get out of here! Anywhere from here would be fine! I felt the first stabs of true panic surge through my body, my hands were beginning to shake.

"That! You are so eager to escape Life that you care not where you end up. It was a gift I gave you, after all. You're welcome!"

I peered over at Life, suddenly realizing his face was nothing like Drear's after all; Drear had a strange shadow-like quality to him, where as Life seemed to radiate light. I prefered the dark. "I am sorry, but I can't deal with you now." Aha! If I just ducked under the table and ran toward the door...

"Where are you going?" I heard the shout behind me as my footfalls echoed about the stone room.

"Away!"

"You can't run from life forever!" I heard the shout.

"Watch me!" I whispered, closing my eyes briefly in agony. I opened them as I sprinted down the hall. Lucky I did, for I had to skid to a stop as Drear materialized in front of me. I skidded to a hault and hoped to God he wasn't mad still.

"What's wrong?" he asked, pulling me to him protectively. I looked up into his eyes and saw that same concern from earlier, only even more pronounced if that was possible. Drear looked genuinely worried about me! I wanted to bash my head against the wall. I was so confused...

"Drear!" a voice echoed down the corridor. I twisted out of his arms and darted around Drear's back at his brother's approach. I knew I was acting ridiculous, but I couldn't squash that sense of impending doom at Life's approach.

"Jeton, I told you not to bother her!" Drear stiffened and glared at his brother.

"Well, I had to see for myself."

"And my word wasn't good enough!?"

"See what?" I peered around Drear's back like a small child.

Jeton blinked at me, slightly taken aback, "Why, that you are terrified of Life!"

"I'm not terrified of life!" I interjected. "I think you're being overdramatic."

"Oh, then why are you hiding behind Death?" he raised an eyebrow. I glared at him.

"That's completely beside the point! And who said I was hiding." I forced myself to step out and face him. I saw Drear glance at me out of the corner of my eye; he was smirking.

"Just leave her alone, Jeton." Drear sighed as if growing weary of this whole conversation.

"Fine. If you need me you know where to find me. You two behave yourselves." Jeton strolled off nonchalantly.

"Well, that was easy." I watched in shock as Jeton turned into a room down the long hall. I didn't think he would be so easy to get rid of.

"Not many are willing to argue with Death." I looked over at Drear to see if he was trying to be humorous, but I only saw anxiety etched across his handsome, cold face.

"What?" Drear looked beyond anxious now, but I picked up a subtle pleasure underneath the exterior. Couldn't this guy ever have simple emotions?!

"Jeton proved it."

"Proved what?"

"Nothing."

"Tell me!"

Drear shook his head, "It is too early yet."

"Too early for what?"

Drear's attitude changed abruptly as he laughed, "So many questions! You can't possibly hope to understand everything!"

"I can try!"

"You could." Drear's face turned serious. "You know, it is not normal to fear Life and seek Death."

"I'm not normal. We've established this already." I shrugged.

"It really isn't safe for you to be around me." came the quiet reply.

"Don't be a martyr!" I placed my hands on my hips; he was starting to get annoying. I instantly regretted what I said, for Drear's eyes flashed angrily as he turned to walk down the hall. His long, black jacket flapping around his long legs.

I had to jog to keep up, "Why did you bring me here anyway?" I glanced at the tall windows lining the corridor as we went by. I felt as though I had stepped back into a palace from five cenuries ago, yet it felt so familiar.

Drear did not answer, I thought he had not heard me so I was about to repeat my question when, "I had to be sure."

"Sure of what?!" I sighed in exasperation at his vagueness. Drear stopped suddenly and caught my arm to hold me back.

"You will find out soon enough."

"That helps!" I pouted.

"Trust me." he whispered, just inches from my face as if to kiss me. Drear pulled back at the last possible minute. His eyes lingered on mine for a brief second before he turned and proceeded down the hall. I watched curiously as his tall form seemed to draw all darkness to him. I eyed the other end of the long hall wondering if I was free to explore now...

"You're coming right?" I turned to see Drear standing sideways a little further down the hall.

"I thought you were upset with me." I started to walk toward him. Before I had taken two steps, he disappeared in a black mist that hurtled toward me. It stopped inches from my face as it molded itself into Drear.

"Of course I'm not!" his hand cupped my chin as his trademark, half smile twitched over his lips. "Whatever gave you that idea?"

I frowned, "Where have you been the past several hours?"

"Five days."

"It hasn't been five days."

"It has."

"No, I just got here and-"

"It's been five days." Drear laughed, seemingly delighted.

"How? And what's so funny?"

"Time works differently here." Drear tried not to smile anymore, but failed miserably.

"What are you so happy about?!" I tried to supress my own smile.

A sing song voice echoed behind me, "You're the only one who dares to argue with Death!" I glared at Jeton as he walked by smirking. He continued down the hall as if nothing had happened. My gaze returned to Drear.

"Just another sign..." Drear shook his head with a smile and walked down the hall after his brother.

"Hey wait! What sign? Drear!" I ran after him.