Death's Embrace

Eternity

Alright, morning. Day two of trying to get Drear to tell me what the heck he meant by "signs"! He refused to tell me all last night, but today was a new day. I had hours to bug him. Muwhahaha.

I continued to stalk down the hall as rays from the rising sun slanted through the windows. Jeton peered out of a door as I passed, "Going to pester Drear?"

"Yep!" I walked on brightly.

"I'd try going right." Jeton called.

"Thanks!" I waved back at him as I rounded the corner and took a right like he suggested. I walked passed a study and stopped, then backtracked. Drear sat in a chair looking at a huge, black book. He didn't seem to notice me until I was standing right in front of him, tapping my foot with my hands on my hips.

"So, you said you'd tell me later. It's later." I glared.

"How did you find-"

"Doesn't matter! What signs? About what? Tell me! Please!" I begged.

"No!" Drear slammed the book shut and stood up. He seemed to tower over me as he tried to walk from the room. I blocked his path.

"Come on!" I pleaded. Drear smirked, but took me firmly by the shoulders and shifted me aside so he could pass. I followed him out into the hall. He started walking faster.

"DREEEEAAAR!" I complained. "Why won't you tell me?"

Drear turned and stopped short, causing me to collide into him. That twisted smile appeared on his face as I stumbled to regain my balance. "Warn a person will you! Wait, what are you-" I watched stupidly as Drear held up a hand and waved goodbye. He disappeared in a swirl of mist.

"That is soooo not fair!" my voice echoed through the corridor. Being human sucked!

"I'd try the library." Jeton called in a sing song voice as he appeared in a swirl of light and walked by. Brilliant!

Muwhaha! The library! I turned and all but ran to the other side of the manor- castle- um, I still hadn't figured out what it was.

I arrived at the library door, stopping to look in and sure enough, Drear was sitting in another chair. He had an equally large book, but this time it was crimson instead of black. I darted in, back pressed against the wall. Maybe he wouldn't see me...

"What are you doing?" Drear called, not looking up from the book. Darn! I walked across the room to him.

"Oh, nothing. I just enjoy your sweet company is all." I shrugged and sat next to him. Okay, different approach than outright demanding answers.

Drear raised an eyebrow at the sickly sweet note in my voice. I smiled innocently at him. Come on! Let this work!

"No!" he turned back to his book.

"But I didn't even-"

"You didn't have to." he turned a page. I noticed he was reading the book backwards. Strange. But that wasn't what I was here for.

"Please Drear. I'm dying to know."

Drear chuckled at my choice of words. He fixed me with a slightly exasperated stare though, "Do you have a death wish?"

"We both know you won't kill me!" I folded my arms and looked at him with confidence.

"I'll figure something out if you don't stop following me." Drear muttered darkly, but I could see the light in his eyes.

"Tell me and I'll stop. I solemnly swear." I put my hand over my heart and held the other up as if I were taking an oath.

"You're insane."

"Duh! What was your first clue?" I laughed at his expression.

"You know, this could go on forever."

"Well, apparently I have until forever."

"Stubborn beyond reason. Just another-"

"Don't say it unless you plan on telling me what you mean!"

"-sign." Drear finished defiantly. He closed the book.

"Please?" I took his cold hand in mine. I didn't think anything of the contact, until I saw Drear's surprised expression. He still found it amazing that I could stand to touch him, that I wanted to touch him. After all, not too many wanted to even be in the same room as Death...

Drear clamped his other icy hand down firmly over mine, holding it between the two of his. He leaned forward like he was about to divulge some great secret. I leaned closer...

"No!" he stood up and gave me one last annoyed look before dematerializing. Curses! Foiled again!

I spent the rest of the morning searching him out, but never found him again since Jeton wasn't around to tip me off. I was starving by noon, so I abandoned the hunt and made my way to the kitchen to get a sandwich. I sat down at the small, round stone table with my meal and a glass of milk. Jeton came in.

"Hey, so did you find him yet?" he asked as he peered into the fridge.

"No." I sighed.

Jeton looked back at me curiously, "I bet you could track him like I do."

"What do you mean?" I sat up interestedly.

"Well, you're connected to him in some way, just like I am. That's why he can't take you." Jeton shrugged. "Or that's how I figure it, at least."

"Really." I raised an eyebrow and smirked at this unexpected turn of events. "Would you happen to know why-"

"Before you ask, it is not my place to tell you. You must hear this from Drear when he is sure." Jeton looked into one of the cabinets and gave a small exclamation of triumph.

"Sure of what?" I watched Jeton sit down with a bag of chips. He offered me some, but I shook my head.

He rolled his eyes and changed the subject back to the previous topic, "Anyway, about tracking him. All you have to do is focus all your attention on him."

"Where have you been? I've been doing that all morning!" I laughed.

"Now you're thinking like a human. You're letting what you think should be interfere with what is." he continued to munch on his chips while watching me try to connect the dots.

"Soooo-"

"So you just trust your feelings, not your head. How can your head possibly help you? This isn't a math equation." Jeton shook his head, "Math." and laughed.

"Huh? I don't get it."

"You'll see what's so funny later. I find chemistry even funnier." Jeton got up and put the chips away, then searched for something else to eat.

Focus. I needed to focus on Drear. Picture him in my mind. The dining hall!

"Thanks!" I yelled over my shoulder as I darted out the door.

"Bye!" Jeton called after me.

I turned left and raced down a hall that faced the east. Wait. I stopped and looked out the tall windows. The sun should have been up in the east, but a crescent moon took its place instead. I couldn't have lost track of that much time! I hurried to find Drear.

"There you are!" I walked into the dining hall. Drear sat at a chair in the middle of the extremely long table. His head was in his hands as he studied the papers before him. He glanced up at me as I made my way to him.

"Tell me," I stopped as he spoke, "Can you predict the future?"

"Huh?" I sat across from him.

"Can you predict the future?" he repeated, his eyes never wavering from mine.

"Depends on what you call predicting the future." I sighed. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Nothing." Drear sat back and folded his arms to study me. "What do you mean by it depends?"

I shrugged uncomfortably, "I'd hardly call what I do any kind of real prediction." I stopped as Drear leaned across the table intently.

"What is it you do then, Lea?"

"Well, I'll think something completely random and then something pertaining to it will happen." I frowned. Drear's expression matched mine.

"Like what?"

"Um, okay. I'll think of something odd like- hmm, my shoe looks dirty. Completely random because it isn't." he nodded in understanding. "I'll walk into class and a girl asks if anyone has a bleach pen because someone stomped on her new, white shoes."

"How many times does it happen?"

"Shoe stomping?"

"Lea-"

I shrugged "I can't keep track. Drear, what does that have to do with anything? And don't just say it's another sign!" I eyed him threateningly.

"Okay." he smiled wickedly.

"Drear!"

"What? I didn't say it!"

"But you were thinking it!"

"Do you read minds too?"

"Ahhh! You're infuriating!"

"No more than you, my dear!" he laughed and disappeared in the swirl of mist. The kitchen. I ran back to the kitchen like Hell was descending on the place (odd thought). I skidded to a hault. Jeton looked up from a carton of ice cream in supreme amusement; Drear looked up in downright amazement.

"How are you able to-" Drear stopped and looked over at Jeton, for he was gasping for breath through fits of choked laughter.

"You- you should h-have seen your face!" Jeton rolled around with laughter while pointing at Drear. Drear gave him a dirty look.

"What did you do?" his eyes narrowed on his brother.

"N-nothing!" he howled. I had to smile, Jeton's laugh was contagious. And Drear did look pretty funny when I skidded in.

"You told her how to track me, didn't you?"

"May-maybe." Jeton tried to keep his face impassive, but with one look in my direction, he cracked up again.

"Alright look," Drear turned to me, "I'm not going to tell you until I'm sure."

"Sure of what!?" I threw my arms up in the air in frustration.

"Told you he wouldn't tell you until then!" Jeton smirked at me, having regained some measure of control.

Drear looked at his brother, "What else have you been telling her?"

"Nothing." Jeton's face turned serious.

This was absolutely nuts! Did they enjoy tormenting me or something?! I wanted to know what these signs were about! What they had to do with me! And what was Jeton not supposed to tell me???

I sighed and leaned against the door, watching the two exchange bemused looks. "You're not going to tell me then? Not at all?"

"Nope." Drear began fixing a sandwich. "Not today at least."

I glanced at Jeton; he shrugged. "Alright then. I know a lost cause when I see one. See you later." I turned to walk back down the hall.

"Wait, where are you going?" Drear called after me.

I heard Jeton answer, "She's been bugging you all day, you finally get rid of her, and now you want her back!?" I smiled at Jeton's words.

I suddenly realized I had not been outside since I had arrived and so decided to explore the grounds. I made my way out a door I found a few minutes farther on. As soon as I stepped outside, I stopped and looked up at the sky in wonder. To the west the sun was setting; to the east the moon was rising. Or, it looked like that. A few minutes more of observation showed they were stationary. An eternal land of twilight. How befitting for life and death.

I made my way across the grass between the huge willow trees that dotted the grounds. I wondered about my mother. Was she alright? What of my friends? Were they worried about me?

A rustle brought my thoughts back down to earth. I turned slowly to my right and saw dark eyes staring at me from beneath the willow.

"Holy-" I jumped back.

"Actually, I wouldn't call myself holy." the man stepped forward with a curious smile. He had extremely dark eyes and almost white hair, not that he was old. He was the picture of youth, actually. "Shymal." he nodded by way of greeting.

"Lea." I stood there awkwardly as Shymal turned back to study the manor. I waited. He turned back to me.

"You're human, aren't you?" he asked.

"Ya, why?"

"Curious. How did you get here?"

"Walked."

Shymal smiled briefly, "That's not what I meant."

"I know. Drear brought me." I watched suspiciously as Shymal clearly gained interest.

"Did he?" he whispered, gazing at me. His eyes gave me a very uneasy feeling. There was nothing in them but cruelty and malice.

"Yes."

"Lea, you said?"

"Yes." I replied, not liking this at all.

"LEA?" I heard a shout. It was Jeton. Shymal exchange a brief look with me before Jeton burst into the area. He made his way over to me, but stopped as soon as he caught sight of Shymal. "YOU!"

"Give your brother my regards." Shymal's face twisted into a malicious grin. "And tell him he has found quite a catch." Shymal eyed me. Jeton's face paled slightly as Shymal faded into a gust of wind that whipped the vines of willow around angrily.

"Lea, are you alright?" Jeton grabbed my arm and looked me up and down.

"F-fine. What was that all about?"

"He didn't hurt you?"

"No. Why would he?" Jeton took me by the arm and dragged me off. "Where are we going?" I stumbled upon the uneven ground.

"Back to the manor. You shouldn't go anywhere without someone from now on." Jeton hissed.

I struggled against him, but his grip was too strong. I had to get away! He was frightening me; I had only just learned to supress my fear of him so we could be in the same room! "Please Jeton!" I tried to pull my arm away but he ignored me. By now we were inside, all but marching down a hallway. Drear stuck his head out of a doorway as we passed by. He came to investigate.

"Jeton, let her go!" he materialized in front of us upon recognizing my terror. Jeton released me quickly; I darted over to Drear's side.

"You're terrifying her! What's wrong with you?" Drear shifted in front of me slightly. I felt a bit better, but not much. The old terror of life filled me, consumed me.

"Drear, it was Shymal. He was here."

"Shymal!" Drear hissed.

"I found him with her." Jeton answered.

"I swear I was just walking and-" Drear whirled around and grabbed me by the shoulders, studying me with such intensity that I almost shied away.

"He didn't hurt you did he?" Drear whispered.

"N-no." That wasn't the reaction I had been expecting...

Jeton spoke up, "She's fine. Shymal knows you brought her here though. I think he knows why she is here too, though I can't be sure." Drear released me and looked at his brother. "He is back, Drear, after all we did..." Jeton's anger flared again.

"Lea, perhaps you should leave." Drear said calmly, facing his brother.

"Alright!" I rushed off in the opposite direction, glad of any excuse to get away from Jeton, to get away from Life.

I headed to the library. The library had alway equaled sanctuary for me. You could lose yourself in books, hide yourself from the world...

___

Drear looked at his brother for a long while before speaking, "Jeton, are you telling me you only think he knows about Lea? You should be able to read her life pattern! You should be able to tell me if he does know about her!"

"I can't." Jeton faultered.

"What do you mean you can't!" Drear was livid.

"I can't read her life pattern, just like you can't read her death! It's like she doesn't exist on Earth."

"Are you sure?" Drear calmed a bit.

"Positive. My plan for her didn't stick. I can't read her pattern at all, Drear! I can't do anything!" Jeton stressed.

"And that is probably why she was so miserable!" Drear hissed, angry again.

"Look," Jeton matched his brother's rage, "It's very hard doing what I do! Don't sweat me about something I can't control!"

"Hard? Hard! What's hard is breaking apart loved ones, but I do it because I have to! What's so hard about bestowing life?!"

"You don't understand. Life is only held in higher esteem than death because it is familiar. Other than that, people hate life just as much, but in a different way. I plan life lessons to teach them what they need to learn, but they hate me for it. I try to prepare them for what is to come, and they resent it." Jeton crossed his arms and stared off into the distance.

Drear's mind raced now, "And how long have you known about Lea being different?" he jumped back to the previous subject.

"I remember planning for her before she was born and that's it. After that, I generally let things happen naturally so I noticed nothing different. I only learned about her difference when you brought her here. No sooner. I swear."

"All that pain we could have spared her if you had just kept a closer eye on things!" Drear's fists clenched.

"Since when do you care about anyone's pain!?" Jeton shouted and instantly regretted it by the look on Drear's face.

"Since she reawoke what has slumbered within me for so long." Drear replied quietly. Jeton nodded and walked passed him quietly to continue whatever he was doing before. Drear, however, turned to sense Lea out. He would make amends with Jeton later. Lea. She was in the library again. He smiled slightly at the thought of her, of what he had finally found. After all this time...
___

I sat in the huge, oval window overlooking the grounds below. The crescent moon shown clearly against the blues and purples of the twilight sky. Footsteps. I turned to see Drear enter the room. He sat down across me with a soft look on his face. The purple-blue hues of light washed over him.

"Is Jeton alright? He seemed pretty mad." I began.

"He's fine. I'm sorry you had to see him like that. I know it must have been difficult." Drear answered quietly. I shrugged it off; Drear looked out the window at the moon. Several moments of silence ensued.

A question had been bothering me the whole time I had been sitting here. I finally got the courage to ask. "Who is Shymal anyway? Why was Jeton so mad?"

Drear's face hardened. He looked slowly back at me, "Shymal is a demon, or at least, we think he is."

"And-"

"And he holds a grudge against me."

"Why?"

"He fell in love with a human, but it was her time to go. There was nothing I could do but take her. He has never let it go." Drear sighed. He looked down at his hands resting in his knees. I could tell he was sad.

"I see." I replied quietly.

"Lea, he might try something now that he knows you're here."

"What do I have to do with any of this?" I frowned as he looked up at me. Drear's look said it all. "Oh." I felt my heart quicken as I swiftly averted my eyes.

I felt my chin being tilted up. Drear's dark eyes met mine; they were so dark, so deep, that I felt I would drown in them. That was fine, I was completely at peace with that feeling. Drear's eyes widened slightly in surprise. Suddenly, he threw his weight against me and we tumbled back against the curved window sill. His lips pressed repeatedly against mine as his hands wrapped around me. My body was pinned, immobile, beneath his.

"Drear?" I managed to gasp. This was so different from earlier; I didn't know what to make of it. His hands snaked around my waist as he shifted his weight so as not to completely crush me. He didn't answer right away, but kissed me softly, holding it for the longest time. My eyes closed in longing and bliss. Everything was perfect in that moment. Everything was good and pure. Hopelessness was a foreign idea.

Drear pulled back and looked down at me. His cool hand stroked the side of my face as I looked up at him. He looked different, more- alive! His pale skin looked slightly tanner, his lips less bloodless, and his skin felt warmer. He couldn't quite pass as a human, but he was closer than the pale, bloodless wraith I had first met.

"I'm sure it's you." he whispered.

"What is? What are you talking about?" I asked softly as his fingers traced my lips.

"You're the one I've had to wait an eternity for." he whispered.