Death's Embrace

Why!?

Drear and I sat in the window for awhile longer until he launched himself backwards, eyes wide in horror. "I can't!" he breathed. "I won't!"

"What are you talking about?" I blinked in bewilderment.

"Lea, forgive me." Drear whispered, then disappeared in that cloud of black mist that quickly dissipated in the surrounding air. I sat there, thoroughly confused. Did Drear mean he couldn't be with me? No, that didn't make sense after what he just said. Nevertheless, I had a very ominous feeling about all this.

I sat for several more minutes staring out the window when I heard a sigh. I turned sharply. "Drear! You startled me! Drear?"

"Lea, forgive me! I'm so sorry!" he pulled me out of my seat and wrapped his arms about me. His chin rested in the crook of my neck as he whispered his seemingly unfounded apology over and over.

"Drear, you have nothing to be sorry about!" I said after his tenth sorry.

He pulled away to look at me, "You're not upset?"

"For what?" I frowned. "Drear, what is it? What happened?"

"Nothing. Nevermind." he whispered, leaning closer for another kiss.

It was a long time before Drear pushed us apart. We then made our way slowly out into the hall, not really speaking. We were too caught up in what had just happened.

Drear stopped in front of the window that overlooked the place where I had met Shymal. I wrapped my arm about his and leaned my head against his shoulder. I was safe. For once in my life, I felt truly loved. It was going to be alright...

Though I didn't see it, Drear smiled down at me sadly. I felt him shift me slightly so he could wrap his other arm around me. We stayed like that for several minutes, just reveling in each other's presence. Any qualms from earlier were completely forgotten as the warm light from the fading sun washed over us.

"Lea," Drear said softly after some time. I looked up into his dark eyes as they searched mine. "Promise you won't leave the manor again?"

I frowned slightly, "Is it because of Shymal?"

Drear nodded, "He's planning something and chances are it involves you now that he has guessed who you are. I don't want to lose you to him. Not now after I finally found you!"

"Right. About that. You never explained that much to me-" Drear's fingers pressed lightly against my lips to silence me.

"I told you, I've been waiting for an eternity. Literally!" he pulled me even closer.

"Yes but why?" I searched his eyes.

"Well," he shifted, "This isn't my first job acting as Death. When this world was recreated I leaped at the chance to be- normal." he touched my face lightly. "They wouldn't hear of it, but they did promise me one thing for my troubles. You."

I looked up at him quizically, "Who are they?"

He smiled, "You're always so curious! I can't tell you all the secrets of the universe now can I? But you're rather missing the point."

"I heard you." I said quietly. Drear looked at me quizically, trying to see what was wrong. A strange sensation flooded through my body. It was as if my limbs had become liquid. An image of my friend, Paul, flickered through my mind. Something was wrong; I couldn't stand him touching me. I pulled away.

"Lea?" Drear took a step toward me, but I backed away. "Lea what's wrong?"

The truth be told, I didn't know what was wrong. It was like a thousand voices were screaming inside my head. My breathing became shallow as my heart began to race painfully. I put a hand to my head as one voice rose loud and clear over thousands of others.

"Lea?" two voices said at the same time; one was Drear's, the other belonged to someone else. I felt someone shaking me by the shoulders and looked up to see Drear.

"Lea what is it!?"

"Voices." I closed my eyes. "I hear thousands of voices." Drear caught me as I sank to the floor.

"JETON!" Drear bellowed in alarm.

I heard Jeton running down the hall, calling out to his brother. My eyes flashed open and an unnatural hatred for Jeton filled me. He skidded to a hault at the look I gave him, but I didn't care.

"You wretched, dispicable creature!" I heard myself shouting, pulling out of Drear's grasp. It was my voice, but those were not my words. "And you," my body rounded on Drear, "You killed me! You killed me and now you think you can take her away from me?! You think you can keep her here?"

I forced the voice down and stumbled backward with a gasp, "Drear?". The voice was slowly gaining control again.

"He's taking control of her!" Jeton hissed.

My body stood up straight and faced Drear, "You fool! She can never be truly yours. She belongs with me!" the voice gave a harsh laugh.

"Lea?" Drear stepped forward. I blinked and looked at him. Drear, the only piece of happiness I had in this world, I knew that much as I looked at him... What was going on?

"He killed me Lea! He killed me and tried to take you for his own!" the voice echoed within my mind. It sounded so familiar...

"Stop! No!" I shook my head and pressed my palms over my eyes in denial. His voice continued despite my pleas.

"I was supposed to be with you, me! Not him!"

"No!" I muttered, squeezing my eyes shut as my fists clenched at my sides. The voice had to be lying! It just had to!

"Lea, don't listen to him!" Jeton was yelling.

"I love you more than he ever could." the voice ended in a whisper as I snapped to. The only voice in my head was my own now.

"He's gone. It's just her now." Jeton whispered, still in shock.

"Lea!" Drear rushed forward and pulled me into his arms. "Lea, are you alright?"

"F-fine." I replied shakily. My mind raced through what I had learned. If Drear had killed the person I was supposed to be with... I pulled away from him.

"Lea, don't." Drear whispered. I could see his heart breaking before me.

"You killed him, didn't you?" I stared at Drear.

"Lea, I can explain-"

"Yes or no." I interrupted in a dull, lifeless voice.

"Yes." Drear whispered.

"Why didn't you tell me this before?"

"I had no choice." Drear backed away from me, clearly in an immense amount of pain. Jeton looked from Drear to me, then back to Drear.

"Did you wish to add something?" I asked coldly, fixing a blank stare on Jeton.

Jeton seemed taken aback, but anger quickly replaced shock. "Yes, I do! It was not Drear's fault! He had to follow my orders and take Paul!"

I stumbled backwards, "Paul?! My friend Paul?!" My heart skipped several beats. He was dead? This made everything one hundred times worse. No...

Jeton studied me harshly, "You are on a higher plane of existance now. The two of you were no longer compatible."

"How would you know!" I snapped.

Jeton sighed and closed his eyes, holding in the anger. "I am Life; it's what I do. You have outgrown him. I ordered Drear to take him because of this."

I looked from one to the other, thinking quickly. Did Jeton really order Paul's death because of that or was it something else? Something else relating to Drear's relationship to me? I glanced over at Drear as he pulled in on himself. His head was bowed and his arms crossed in what seemed remarkably like grief. Jeton, however, stood defiantly before me, daring me to challenge him.

"Why does Life have control over Death anyway?" I lifted my chin up and narrowed my eyes. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Drear glance up at me. I kept my gaze on Jeton.

"Why does Life have to explain himself to a human?" he countered.

"For one so complicated, you are rather simplistic!" my voice dripped with bitterness.

"Jeton, please. Just let me talk to her before this goes any further." Drear stepped toward me. I watched Jeton turn reluctantly away, then walk down the hall muttering to himself.

"Let go of me!" I hissed as Drear began pulling me in the opposite direction.

"Lea, not here. You can scream all you want in a minute!" Drear's harsh voice caused me to lapse into silence; it was that same, unfeeling voice he used when he first met me.

"Drear?" I asked uncertainly as he wrenched open a door. He pulled me into the room- his room- and shut it. I had managed to free my arm so I began backing away slowly as he rounded on me. The wraith stood before me, not the Drear I knew and possibly loved.

"Treat me as you will, but don't ever speak to Jeton like that again! He works harder than you could ever imagine!" his anger made the room grow darker.

"Drear-" Bam! I was slammed back into the wall as Death glared murderously down at me. One of his hands reached behind my back, locking my two wrists together; the other pushed my shoulder back so I could not move.

"I can't believe you! How did I not see how narrow-minded you truly are!?" Death said through gritted teeth.

"Me!? What about you!?" I laughed in disbelief. "You have no idea what I was about to say! You just assumed!" His eyes saddened for a brief second at this realization.

At that moment I couldn't think of anything but him. Had I hurt him? I didn't see how. What was wrong? I felt horrible for causing him to feel this way...It was hard to believe that just a half an hour ago we were in each other's arms. Wait, why should I feel horrible?

"You killed him! You and Jeton killed Paul!!" my voice rose in volume.

"I did." Drear whispered, inches from my face.

"WHY!? WHY DID HE HAVE TO DIE!!!?" I shrieked.

"He would have gotten in the way."

"In the way of what?" I felt my body quiver with the lose of strength. Drear was the only thing holding me up now. "Us?" I whispered disdainfully.

Drear took an involuntary step back at my words and let me fall to the ground. I sat there, watching his conflicted face. "In a way, but not the way you think." Drear whispered.

I was so confused right now. Why all this drama? What was the purpose? Suddenly, the longing for that dreamless sleep rushed over me. Death, soft and quick. Death, please release me from my bondage!

"Lea?" Drear's face was inches from mine, more of the humanity shined through. "Lea I'm sorry. I was just so angry." he said quietly, pulling me to my feet. "I'm sorry I doubted you. Even now, with my horrible treatment of you, you don't turn away." he pulled me close.

I could feel the tears leak out, "Why could I hear him? Why did I have to find out like that?" I stifled a sob.

Drear pushed me back a little so he could peer into my eyes, "That was not the way I would have had you learn of his death. I don't know how he managed to cling to this world like that, but he did."

I remained silent. Drear's hand fell softly along the curve of my neck. His eyes flickered from his hand back to my face.

"I am so sorry, Lea! I never meant to hurt you. Believe me!" Drear's eyes held genuine sorrow.

"I believe you." I said quietly. "I know you didn't mean for anything like this to happen. Remember, you even let me trade my soul for his life. Paul- Paul is free of the troublesome world now. I am happy for him." I bit back the tears.

A relieved smile appeared on Drear's lips, "I was so afraid you wouldn't understand! Thank the world you do!" he pulled me close.

"I wouldn't say I understand everything. It still burns like Hell, Drear." I wrapped my arms around his neck as he hugged me tightly. I felt so tired, so drained that I allowed Drear to pick me up and carry me over to the bed. He layed me down gently and just looked at me.

"What?" I asked even as my eyelids drifted downward. The inner turmoil within me nearly caused me to scream, though I appeared the embodiment of peaceful. Paul! No! I had to hold it together for Drear; another person I had to hold it together for. That thought made my agitated mind jump to my mother.

"Just rest." Drear whispered in my ear. I felt his lips brush lightly against mine. Silence followed. I cracked my eyes to find Drear gone. Must have dematerialized...

___

I didn't sleep well all that night. At one point, I remember, I heard Drear and Jeton shouting. It seemed like Jeton was just outside the door, but he never came in. Was Drear stopping him?

I rolled over in the darkened room, wondering why my life was taking such strange turns. I bit my lip as thoughts of Paul skirted through my mind against my will. Why? I was the one who prayed for death! Why him? I jumped as I felt an arm wrap around my waist.

"It's just me." I heard Drear whisper as he stretched out on the bed behind me. He gently pulled the hair back out of my face and sighed. I turned to face him; his arm still remained around me. Oddly enough, I felt that simple contact so- warming. No one had ever really touched me as a child; a simple hug was a very rare thing in my family.

Drear's eyes looked down at me, asking a thousand questions he dared not voice. He rolled onto his back and pulled me with him. I leaned my head against his chest, deep in thought. A ghost of a smile touched my lips as I listened to his heartbeat.

Though it was Drear who had taken him, I knew I really blamed Jeton. That was unhealthy. I couldn't go around hating Life. I would have to come to terms with the fact that Paul- he was gone and Jeton was not to blame. Without Death, there would be no Life and vice versa. I bit my trembling lower lip, just trying to keep it together for Drear...