The Hidden Truth

Mirmo's Past

For two hours Mirmo told me stories of his past, while I curled up quietly on his bed, giving him my full, undivided attention. His history was quite fascinating and really explained a lot about him and why I was picked.

Mirmo grew up on a small planet, in a medium size community on the western side of an island. The town was not rich, nor poor, but not very close. Neighbors barely knew each other and there were few town socials. His family lived in a small house with three children and both parents working overtime to just barely pay the bills and provide food for fiver hungry mouths. There were constant fights between the parents over money and the rule of the house. Money was a big problem and constantly on the minds of the entire family.

The family was further apart in friendliness then the town. Both parents were strict in following rules, overly harsh with punishments, and gave little affection attention to their children. The three siblings, only a few years apart, found a bond among each other, for that was the only way to survive in the tough conditions of their home. The oldest of them, became a mother to the two younger boys, keeping the troublesome boy from aggravating the tired and snappy parents, while giving hugs and kisses when needed. The two bothers were close, but Mirmo was never able to bond too closely with anyone in his family, not to mention with anyone else in the town.

Since Mirmo was a small boy, he knew he was different. It took him years to explain why, but he could never be like other children his age. He felt an energy, one he knew was not air, not sunlight, nor the breeze. He learned over the years he could manipulate this energy to cause small things to happen. Books slide off tables or the walls shook when he became overpowered with rage. This ability scared him, causing unexplained headaches, which often turned into migraines. At times, he was able to know what was behind his back, even if he had never looked or knew. These abilities made him feel different and alone. He would and could never tell anyone this secret. His parents tried their hardest to scold and beat this strangeness out of him. His siblings were confused by these strange acts that seemed to occur around him.

It wasn’t until his late teens did Mirmo find out what made him different from the other people in his town. Luke Skywalker, a new figure in the news, was making a trip to his planet. Mirmo happened to in the same market square when another mysterious event happened, brought by a surge of anger. Mirmo was being made fun of his weirdness next to a fountain with a large statue spouting a stream of water. The Force had been growing in Mirmo for his outbreaks in the Force where happening more frequently and strongly.

There was a loud crack and half the statue loudly slid off and crashed on the stone street. The entire market went dead silent and set all eyes on the young and small Mirmo. Luke, who had felt the Force’s warning before the event had happen, raised his hands to direct the crowd’s attention to him. He admitted to the accident and apologized for his mistake. He loudly announced that he would talk to the town’s leader and gladly pay to replace the statue. The crowd, startled and annoyed at the Jedi, went back to their shopping.

Luke quietly approached the scared and shaking Mirmo and led him out of the crowd to a dark, hushed street, where no one would bother them. Luke spent several hours talking to the young man, explaining what and why had happened, telling the boy of the Force. He told Mirmo a brief past of the grand Jedi order and how Luke was trying to restore it. Mirmo, full of excitement and wondered if Luke would help learn about the Force. Luke smiled, but shook his head. H wanted but, at the current time he was just starting up an academy for Force sensitive people and he already found his quota. Not to disappoint the young man, Luke promised to come back in a few years when his academy had settled down and a training program was firmly decided. The Jedi knight gave Mirmo an important assignment to find out all he could on the Jedi, to help Luke learn more of what he was bringing back. Mirmo eagerly accepted this assignment, recklessly promising to bring volumes and volumes of ancient scripts and holovids. With a warning of controlling Mirmo’s temper, Luke left the late teenager to find the leader of the town.

During the next three years, Mirmo worked hard on his assignment. At first he found it hard, for the Jedi and their information had been nearly wiped away from history, but Mirmo got lucky. He slowly found clues and hints of the Jedi and learned to think as the old Jedi did when it came to hiding information. He learned to read between the lines to find clues that eventually lead him to bits of tales and facts a Jedi had wrote himself. It took years of searching little tad bits, but Mirmo slowly saw a bigger picture of the Jedi order. During this time, he found a steady job that allowed him to work alone. He left home shortly after meeting the Jedi and swore he would live a better life than of his parents.

At the end of three years, Mirmo had grown into a tall, lean man, well educated, living fairly well off, and happy with his life. He came to accept his abilities and learn to respect the Force. He was never much liked by the town, but that never bothered him. Unfortunately, he was still an easy target to make fun of and try to beat up. One night he found himself trapped in a corner, surrounded by several partly drunk men who thought it was time for a monthly beating up of Mirmo. They were about to start punching him when they all suddenly did a complete change in mood and in body language and decided they were more interested in another beer, then pounding the young man.

When the men had gone back to their seats, Mirmo got a look around the bar to see what if he was safe to quietly slip out. He spotted Luke Skywalker sitting at table near by and decided to join the Jedi. Luke and Mirmo had much to talk about, especially Mirmo’s finds. Luke was impressed with the man’s work and offered a spot in his academy. Mirmo’s eyes were shining as he agreed to come.

For another two years Mirmo trained like never before to learn to control his abilities and become a stronger, better man. At the same time, he was healing emotionally and spiritually from the rough years with his family. When he was knighted, he privately swore not to take an apprentice until he found me. He traveled long and far, but during the few times he spent teaching meditation at the academy, he saw no one could who he felt was worth of training. He had easily seen the subtle marks of abuse during the first class and instantly became interested in learning more of me. When he saw my breakdown and how I had opened up, he painful remembered his childhood. When he caught me in the act of using the Force during the dance, he had to smile because he knew the lie I told him well. I was a similar image of his past and he hoped to help me heal and grow as a Jedi. It was had been twelve years since he came to Luke’s academy and truly I was a special one, since I was his first apprentice.