The Hidden Truth

My Daydream Man who is almost perfect

There was one advantage of going first and that was you didn’t have to wait, wrecking all nerves, for your name to be called. The worst part was you got to see everyone not make the mistakes you made and groan because someone performed better than you and there was nothing you could do about it.

There were three people that stood out in my mind as I watched them go through the moves. The first person was the new apprentice, named Irini. She stuck her head up, refusing to show any nervousness, though she could not hide it from my Force sense. She bowed shortly and quickly to the teacher, us, and her new master, Deila Cobral. I silently cursed at myself for not thinking to bow to my master. Perhaps, because Irini was only a week new with her master, she was still trying to gain the respect from Master Cobral. I carefully watched her moves. She went through them ok. She had clearly practiced them, but she had no grace or anything to write home about. She ended the show with a quick bow and promptly sat down. I turned my head around to observe her master nodding in approval to her. There was a sharp nudge in the Force as Mirmo grabbed my attention. His glare and unhappy features said all. He clearly did not approve of me spying on the new master and apprentice team and titled his head to indict I was to turn my attention back to the class.

After a few students went, one young man, about the age of nineteen stood up. His posture was of assurance. His walk was slow with a natural grave. The highlights in his hair caught to dappling sunlight, turning his brandy brown hair into a deep red. His blue eyes were deep, sensitive, with maturity and conscious for himself and others. The students politely parted for him, the comments died down. He looked around as he walked, making eye contact, communicating so powerfully and yet without the Force. Bright hopes and whispers of good luck sprang up around him. He inspired goodness in people and he was a natural leader. Here was my dream, my crush, my day dream ideal date taking his place for the test. His name was Roan and I thought it was the most day dream name of all.

There was just one thing wrong with my perfect man. Roan was horrible at lightsaber skills. His hand slightly shook. He didn’t bend his knees when he was suppose to and then stood straight as unbending stick during the times he was suppose to lower his center of gravity. Roan could barely remember to bow and even that simple movement was almost to much for him. The cool, self assured person I laid eyes on a minute before had been replaced with a seemingly young boy, sweating nervously, hands shaking, eyes darting, showing he was struggling to remember what came next.

“You may begin Roan”

Roan looked up at the lightsaber teacher and gave a quick nod. One, two, three, pause. He was at a downward angle on his right when he paused. He took a deep breath which steadied the stick and went on. Four, five, six, seven. Now, just for that last stab and he would have completed the first part of the test. His stick wavered again. Oh come, Roan, I knew he could do this. I saw him in class do the simple move without trouble. He jerked the stick back; I cringed at his lack of grace, and stick the pretend sword forward. Mirmo would have easily blocked and carried the blow to the side, leaving my beautiful Roan open for the merciless attack of my relentless master. All he had to do was the slashs and he would be done. He brought the sword up and I heard the good sound of the sword quickly running through air. He repeated the motion again. I wanted to slap him for forgetting to repeat the move on the other side of him. Roan bowed and sat down, looking around. The crowd was a mixture of smiles and strange looks as they tried to hide their disappointment. I looked at the ground. Well, perhaps my Roan, who I had already spent many an hour studying, learning what I could through the Force, needed my tutoring and that way learn more about me.

I was forced away from my thoughts went the last student stepped to the testing area. I groaned silently to myself when I was the person was Nield. Of all the people, why must I be tortured with his presences? This boy was the same one who had “showed” me how to use the Force. He keep up his so called showing off in any class he could and would always put me down in a polite, but smudged way. The sad part was lightsaber class was the only subject he did better in, which could easily drive me into a furry.

He bowed deeply to all, even the masters in the back. Then, just to show off, he flurished his made up lightsaber by giving it a twist with his wrist to bring the stick to the starting position. He went through each move with a fine grace and crisp moves that brought out ohhs and ahhs from the crowed. I continued to growl underneath my breath. He slashed through the air, further pointing out his skill and leaving Roan’s pitiful show drifting in the breeze of memory. He took a step forward and a step back, if showing not just moves, but how he would use the moves in a fight. I closed my eyes, unable to stand any more of his pride. A round of claps surrounded me. This was a short lived claps when the lightsaber teacher stepped forward. A hopeful, yet fearful hush came upon us.

“Thank you all for coming here today. I would like to give a special thank you to Master Mirmo and Master Cobral for coming in today and watching you all. Now, for the question you all are so obviously wondering: Did you pass?”

I nodded and leaned forward to hear the answer better.

“ All of you have come a long way from when you first stepped into my class. You have learned how to grip and hold the lightsaber, the different angles, and what is the real story behind the sword. You all have been taught the importance of showing respect for your friend as well as your enemy and how to keep your emotions to yourself when fighting. Yet, you all are inexperienced, lacking the grace or speed that is a must in fights. You lack assurance in your moves and do not know what you can and can not do. You still fight with a day dream approach, thinking you will always win, always be more powerful. But, you all have shown me you have listened and practiced enough. There is room for improvement, more than just some for a few of your, but I am pleased to announced all of you will advanced to the next level in your education of the lightsaber.”

Cheers broke out. Hugs were exchanges and pats were patted. We had passed. It was over. I had passed. I looked over my shoulder to Mirmo, who quietly nodded, but showed nothing more. I was sure he would have a few things to say about my demonstration, but for not that could wait. Both of us had agreed on that.

Talk broke out about how we did. We all were keenly aware of our mistakes, but also of the best moves. Strangely and surprising the students had agreed that both Nield and I were the best. I hated to be compared with that brat, but all the same, I could not imagine how I was picked amoung them. The students claimed that I looked most like I was using the movements like I was in a battle. I blushed and told them about the night before. I was given looks of approval, of jealous, and of fear. I had a master. They did not. What training I was getting, they didn’t know. Now, they had seen a splinter of what Mirmo was teaching me and they wanted it too. I could not give them that and only cause more emotion so I left. I did not leave unhappy. This event had gone well. I was now one more step closer to becoming a Jedi knight.