He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

He's Such A Beast

Unknown P.O.V.

I paced around my room, thinking so deeply about Danica, the girl whom I had become so fond of ever since I met her. It was funny, though, how my enemy used to be my best friend. Well, before we both found out what we were. Humans live such uncomplicated lives compared to ours. He was a leech and I was supposedly a mutt, or that was what he told me when I told him about what I had found out that day so long ago. In fact, it was when I was finishing up my seventh grade year. I could remember it like yesterday...

"Hey, bud," I greeted my all-time best friend. I knew he wouldn't believe what I was about to tell him and I was so psyched about the whole ordeal. "So guess what I found out!"

"What is it?" he asked, eager to listen to something that was obviously important to me. But something was weird: he was wrinkling his nose like something smelled horrible. I smelled it, too.

"Eww, what is that?" I asked, looking around. It was him.

"Aw, you reek!" he told me. I shook my head, telling him it was him. "It's not me. But what is it?" he asked as we both wrinkled our noses in disgust.

"You won't believe what my old man told me yesterday. Turns out, our heritage leads us back to werewolves. And for the first time, it happened for me! I transformed! I'm a werewolf! Remember how we used to talk about myths? It's all real!" He looked really mad and kind of sad. I was so confused as his anger boiled until he was shaking.

"You're a mongrel, too? I thought you were my best friend!" he screamed.

"What do you mean? I am!" For once in my life, I felt a deep hatred of him: it was buried deep and just now surfacing for the first time ever. I glared at him, seeing him in a new light. "You know, my father told me something interesting about the Marshall's. As in you." He smirked at me and I wanted to stab him for it. Let's see his pretty little face all twisted up in pain and agony!

"Oh yeah? Well, I know all about your mutt-filled family, the Blair's. I was hoping the mongrel gene would have skipped over you."

"You kill people and suck them clean of their blood!" I accused. He scowled at me.

"So? You can accidentally transform into a werewolf and harm people near you! At least when I kill it isn't painful in the least. You rip them to shreds!" That stung. I didn't have any control over it yet.

"I hope you truly are dammed to Hell," I told him, smirking. He scowled.

"You know what? Friendship with a mutt is impossible. Good bye, old friend," he spat.

"I was already moving before eighth grade anyway: dad said he didn't want me to have to put up with bloodsuckers like you."

"We're everywhere, pup," he warned.

"And where you are, we'll be there to keep you in check," I informed him, extending a hand to formally end this horrid friendship. He took it.

"Enemies," we both breathed, turning on our heels and walking away from each other.


I hadn't cared that I had just lost my best friend: I had hated him for what he was and more for that he had never told me what he was: a vampire. Werewolves and Bloodsuckers are sworn enemies and it would have been easier for both of us to move on and not try the impossible, which was to continue the friendship and co-exist. Well, I had tried to move on, but he had followed me. And I'm not sure what he wanted, but I knew it had to do with Danica-Marie Hockings.

And that was enough to make my blood boil. In the hallway he had been about to bite her! That slime had the nerve to do that! And then he said he was going to kiss her. Ha! He was talking about "The Kiss of Death". How dare he make that sick joke? I had a feeling I knew what he wanted from Danica: Danica. He wanted her, but I wouldn't let him have her. If he honestly thought I was going to stand by while he took Danica, he had another thing coming.

I looked at the full moon with a sense of security. Myth says that on nights of a full moon is when we phase, but we can really do it whenever we want. I phased and ran out the door and to Danica, watching her as she slept in her room like an angel. I jumped in and phased back.

"I'll protect you," I promised, kissing her lips softly. She stirred like she always did, but remained peacefully at rest. She would kill me if she knew I did that every night.

"Jacob. Landyn. Stop," she muttered in her sleep as she always did. I wondered if she knew that she talked in her sleep. Probably not, but I smiled: she was thinking about me...but also that leech. I knew it hurt her when we fought, but it was the natural order of things. I left her, phasing back as I ran freely.

I may be a bit new at this werewolf thing, but I'm such a beast at it.