He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

Placing The Beaten

"Yes," I had told him without able to keep my voice from squeaking. Had I really said that?

"Are you serious?" he asked me in a whisper.

I nodded, feeling more horrible with every second that I was thinking of Jacob. And that just had to be every passing second. I felt like I was cheating on the guy or something!

"Don't sweat it, okay? You can't make yourself miserable to keep him happy. He needs to stand on his own feet for once in his life. Maybe you should actually tell him his place in your life so he'll stop trying to change the level he's at."

I sighed and nodded. But when I made him miserable I became miserable, so how would that work?

"When?" I asked suddenly.

"When what?" he asked, confused.

"When will we be doing this?" I asked.

"I'll tell you. Not today though. I have to do some preparing."

"What kind of preparing?" I asked, curious. His already dark eyes clouded over.

"The thing I do that makes me horrible and sadistic."

"Then why do you do it?" I asked him, a bit scared.

"I have to," he breathed into my ear and I trembled slightly. What was it? Was my dream really my mind trying to tell me something? Was a predator in the room and I was falling in love with him? But Jacob would supposedly be a werewolf. They weren't predators of humans though. It probably would be better if I fell for Jacob...

"Don't think about it!" Landyn screeched, throwing his arms up. His eyes were fearful and I nodded.

"Okay." I wasn't entirely sure what I wasn't supposed to be thinking about, but I assumed it to be Jacob and Landyn's humanity.

"You got it."

He was obviously reading my mind! I stared at him curiously and he looked pained and irritated.

"I said don't think about it."

"It's a bit hard to do!" I told him. "You're not telling me something and if you won't then Jacob will, I guarantee it."

"No he won't. Or I'll just tell you what I know about your little Blair friend."

"Damn you!" I whispered to him and he smirked as if I had missed some kind of joke.

"A bit late for that one."

"What do you mean?" I demanded and he shrugged me off. I glared at him and he merely smiled some more--his innocent angel smile. Before I knew it all of my anger had vanished and I was reaching out to touch his face. I saw my hand and threw it down to my lap. He smiled.

"Don't worry. Eventually you'll understand, my love." This made me growl at him, but he just stared back with a blank expression. But why would he be afraid of me? I was more of a threat to myself than to anyone else. "Maybe we'll take care of that grace problem you have, too."

"Get out of my head," I muttered and he stroked my hair.

"No can do. You're too interesting. And way too tempting," he purred into my ear and my face turned overbearingly red.

"You're so wrong. What on earth you could see in me is beyond my understanding."

"Don't worry, it's beyond any of you." I looked at him warily and he smiled, kissing my cheek. "In due time, I promise."

"Well, I already have my hunches." He looked down.

"I'm aware of that, Danica. So very aware." The bell rang and he stood with me. He turned down the wrong hallway and I followed at his heels.

"Aren't you walking with me to class?" I asked and he shook his head

"I have to go do some things. I'll be back for you tomorrow, don't fret." He thought for a moment and leaned down to kiss my lips softly. He turned abruptly, looking pleased with himself, and walked briskly out of the school. I stood in a daze and was barely aware of the footsteps running towards me.

"Danica! Oh my gosh! Did Landyn Marshall just kiss you?!" I turned to face Michelle with my blank eyes. "Whoa." She waved a hand in front of my face and I snapped out of it, seizing her wrist to make her stop. She smirked. "So?"

"Where's Bryan?"

"I told him to go on. Now tell me, tell me now!" She was so happy for some reason. I looked around.

"What do you think?" I asked her and she pouted.

"You never give me straight answers." I smiled slightly, but gave in.

"Yes, he did. Happy now, Michelle?"

"No." I almost protested, but she held up her index finger for silence. "Are you two dating or what? Does Jacob know?" I slunk down.

"He asked me on a date, but Jacob doesn't know. He can't! It would really hurt him."

"I find him a bit annoying anyway. He needs to get over it. He needs to get over you, but he refuses no matter how many times you turn him down." Michelle scoffed and it didn't help.

"But I never exactly tell him no..."

"Maybe you should. Let him see you and Landyn: let him get the picture. Or just tell him." She walked away and I saw Jacob coming towards me, his eyes seemed clouded when he reached me and his nose wrinkled in disgust.

"Eww. You smell like dead flesh." He sniffed me and accusation was in his eyes. "Where is that son of a--"

"He left and you will leave him be, got it?"

"Oh Hell no! He did not do that!" he growled.

"Jacob...I am going to class. Calm yourself down and I suggest you do the same." I turned from him and started walking.

"I'm losing aren't I?" he asked the floor.

"Jacob, you're my best friend. He'll never take that from you."

"He'll take you from me."

"Stop that! Jacob, you're a friend. He is, too."

"Really?" He didn't sound convinced.

"I'll see you later, Jacob," I told him before actually leaving despite his muttering. I felt strange: sad yet relieved and empowered. I felt guilty, but I figured I'd have to get over it soon or how would I handle it when he found out about my date with Landyn?

It would probably be best to lose that emotion...