He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

The Finer Things in Life

I paced in my room where Landyn had instructed me to stay. He had left quite some time ago saying he was going to start the process. I sighed and sat on my bed, hoping for the best.

"She's going to be fine, my love," he whispered out of nowhere. I whipped my head around and Landyn was there, his body pressed to mine. "But you're so much finer." I laughed slightly and he smirked, pulling my back to his chest and holding me there.

"When do I learn my end of this deal?"

"When I prove she has no cancer. Until then, just pray you don't break any of the rules."

"That's hardly fair! How do I know?"

"That's the fun part: you don't. It's a risk to go against my word. Will you take that risk knowing that I can doom her just as easily as I've stopped the doom?" I stared at him in fear. How cruel! He sighed. "I'll warn you if there is something I would advise against doing, I promise."

"Oh." I walked out of his arms.

"Hey! Come back here right now. I wasn't done." He was smirking and I walked back over, jumping into his arms, wrapping my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck.

"I was just going to check on my mother," I breathed in his ear. He purred in my ear seductively, but shook his head, clearing his thoughts.

"No. Not for three days. She's highly susceptible and she'll stay in her room until she is well. You are not to go in there or it would be horrible." I could tell he didn't trust me with this. "I obviously can't trust you, so you'll be living with me until those days are up."

"What??" I yelled, trying to get myself free from him, but he held me in place and I couldn't escape.

"Now, now, dear. You can stay in my room. I have no siblings so it's me or sleep with my parents, and believe me, they're still very much so in love."

"Blatantly put, I suppose."

"Someday you'll understand what it's like to be with your true love and know you'll be in his arms forever."

Before I could say anything the phone rang. Landyn kissed me quickly before setting me down so I could pick up the ringing contraption.

"Hello?" I said into my phone.

"Danica-Marie, what have you done?" Jacob asked me.

"What do you mean?"

"That leech is there. And is he alone?" he sneered, accusing me of something. I was so confused, but Landyn took the phone from me.

"Jacob, old friend, how are you? I'm sorry, but Danica and I are busy on our date that will be lasting, oh, three days. I do apologize, but she can't speak for her lips are occupied with something much more important." Landyn kissed me while he hung up the phone.

"Landyn...Poor Jacob...How could you do that?" I asked him, breathless from his too convincing kiss.

"I need him to know you're with me. I don't need him pulling any more moves on you. I wouldn't be able to keep him from harm's way, if you get what I'm saying."

"I do, but I still find this whole feud thing pointless."

"I know, dearest, but don't worry, you'll understand very soon." His lips found mine again.

"I'm not so sure I want to know now..."

"You'll have to: it's too late to turn back now. And in return for me telling you why our feud isn't pointless, we will discuss this dream you had earlier. Not today, but before I tell you of what you've been so confused about. So that'll be in around three days."

"Three seems to be the number for everything."

"Only the linked things, but don't think about it." I obeyed his command as well as I could.