He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

Good Thing I Like To Gamble

When I finally came to, I was in a small, cozy room. A floral scent filled the air and my lungs when I breathed in deeply, sitting up. Someone pushed me back down. I looked at my guest, confused.

"Don't stand: you hit your head pretty hard."

Landyn.

I rolled my eyes and tried to sit again, but he denied me that small request just like the first time. I growled in my throat and the surprise in his eyes was blatant. I didn't like people controlling me too much. I sat up despite his lectures and shoved his hands away every time he tried to push me back onto the bed.

"I'm warning you not to sit up. But since you're choosing to be idiotic, I have no choice but to let you be just that: an idiot." His voice had a matter-of-fact tone. I laughed off my feeling of uneasiness. He questioned me with a raised eyebrow.

"I've taken bigger spills than that. I bail everyday. It's nothing new." The nurse walked in, shaking her head.

"Good morning, Danica." She smiled. "Here for your daily visit? What's the damage today?"

"I tripped and hit my head." She shook her head lightly and examined me quickly.

"I think you're immune to damage by now. Do try to not come back here today, though. Can you manage once a day?" She was laughing and I nodded, standing up and stretching.

"What's the time?" I asked, making the walls stop spinning as I teetered on my feet. Landyn was tense, ready to keep me from falling I assumed.

"You were out for a bit," he told me, wincing as I almost fell over. I stabilized myself and he sighed. "You slept through two classes. It's time for third period."

"Wow. Well, I'm not tired anymore," I noticed, touching my toes. I smiled at him as he looked at me as though I had some foreign language written across my face. I took a step and the floor slipped out from under me. I was always quite disoriented after sleeping. Of course Landyn—being as light on his feet as he obviously was—caught me and stabilized me again.

"You're a klutz," he told me.

"Oh no! And here I thought I was graceful!" I pouted, laughing. He scoffed.

"What will you do when danger is staring you in the face and it actually decides to hurt you?" His voice was like poison. I looked into his eyes accusingly.

"So the danger staring me in the face is going to hurt me?" I organized my words carefully.

"Most likely. I'd watch myself if I were you. Anyone will hurt you if they are given the chance. We all give into temptation soon enough, trust me. I've been around the block quite a few times." His face was dead serious and I pried myself out of his hands, standing with good posture and my head held high. It was my stance when I felt threatened.

"I suppose it's a good thing I like to gamble. But I'll be sure to heed that warning," I hissed at him. Venom always slipped into my voice when my confidence left me. He smiled out of nowhere.

"Good. Now then, shall we head to class, Danica?" he asked me almost friendly. I scrutinized him carefully before nodding slowly; cautiously.

I hardly knew the guy and he was already too complex!