He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

Don't Let It Consume you

I sat with Landyn in lunch with Michelle and Bryan who had decided to join us. Landyn and Bryan clicked instantly and Michelle and I talked endlessly about random nothings. Then something caught my eye: Jacob. He passed the table and only glanced at me for a second. He looked so tormented. I felt myself rise to my feet, but then there was a chilling hand on my wrist. I sat back down.

"Love, you can't have both of us if he isn't going to cooperate. You still have me completely, isn't that enough?"

"But he is my best friend and I love him."

"You don't love me?" He was playing the guilt trip and he was just too good at it.

"Fine. You're a monster."

"Love, you're sitting with a table full of monsters. I'd be nice or we might decide to have a snack. I just might share, too."

"Ugh."

When lunch ended I walked with Landyn to my next class and the class after that and the class after that until school ended for the day. I saw Jacob at his locker and tried to go hug him, but Landyn thought better of that.

"Love, I have all the hugs you'll ever need."

"It's just a hug."

"I'd advise against it, love." I sighed and agreed as he walked me out to his car.

We drove in silence for practically the whole way. It didn't take long for him to get us there, as usual. When we got to his house I saw that his parents weren't home yet and I felt a bit scared by that fact.

"Love, you go ahead and go up in my room. I've got some plans with some guys. I'll be back in around an hour since you'll be here waiting."

"What are you doing? Where are you going?" I asked, skeptical.

"Honey, I'm just going to unwind. I have a little bit of stress I'm going to get rid of." He gave me a push towards the stairs and I sighed, trudging up the steps lazily. He might as well have said "Go upstairs, woman!"

When I got to the top I stumbled into his room, looking at myself in the mirror. Jacob really had this hold over me: his distress was stressing me out. I looked at my tired reflection and decided not to think of my lost friend too much. That was pretty hard to do, but I focused on Landyn.

What was he doing? He was getting rid of stress? I sighed and turned on his radio. He had a Hawthorne Heights album in and I listened to it until I got to the song I Am On Your Side. The music was blaring and one line made me shiver:

"Took the easy way out I shut myself down.
The only way to ease the pain is to drink until I drown."

Why would you rely on alcohol to take away stress and pain? That was only temporary relief and not the best way to relief it for even a second.

I turned off the music and curled up on Landyn's bed, waiting for him to come back. I smiled at the thought of the tingling sensation that I was waiting for. I sighed, wondering what I had done to get such an angel in my life.

Even if he thought he was a monster...

I must have fallen asleep because I awoke to the front door opening and Landyn's voice.

"Where is my sexy?" he called out and I smiled.

"Your room!" I called. "Hurry up! I'm so lonely and I miss my angel."

The door opened less than five seconds later and Landyn was standing in the doorway, leaning on the wall.

"I know you miss him, but he's back for his hot demoness," he purred, stumbling into the room. I jumped up and helped him stand.

"Are you okay?" I asked and he smiled.

"Never better. I'm on top of the world, my love!" he sang, leaning in to kiss me. I backed away and stared at him, scowling.

"Landyn, you reek! Are you drunk? Where did you go?" I demanded.

"Hang out with the guys at a club. I'm not drunk, I'm just a bit..." He thought for a minute. "Okay I'm drunk."

"Why?" I tapped my foot impatiently and he sighed, sitting down. I sat beside him and grabbed his hand in mine.

"Jacob is stressing me. I needed to forget him and realize that you're mine and he'll never take you from me. I love you," he whispered.

"I love you, too, baby. But you're not the only guy in my life."

"I wish I were. Life would be so much easier. But you know," he eyed me quickly before pouncing on me, "I know I'll be the only guy in your pants."

"Landyn, you're drunk."

"And you're sexy." He kissed me deeply, unlike he ever had before. He was getting a bit carried away, but I wasn't going to stop him. I hadn't ever gotten to make out with him before now. He unbuttoned my jeans and I had to stop him there.

"Landyn, no. You're drunk."

"I love you. Even if I'm drunk, I know that. And I know that I want this and so do you."

"Not like th--!" He crashed his lips to mine again. I tried to yell at him, but it was impossible with my throat having a certain someone's tongue shoved down it! He finally took his mouth from mine to unzip my pants. "Landyn! I said no!"

"Love, come on. Loosen up."

I was about to say something, but he kissed my neck and I lost it. God I must be a whore.

"I love you," he made sure I knew before taking things way too far.

He was about to learn just how many thorns this rose had!