He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

Was It a Dream or Nightmare?

I woke up the next morning feeling rested. That had been the best night sleep I'd had in awhile. Did it have to do with my dream and...Jacob? No. I loved Landyn and not even Jacob could make me stop loving him.

...Right?

"Have a nice sleep?" Landyn sneered when we were walking out to the car.

"What does that mean?" He didn't know, did he? Oh that would be bad, very bad.

"You talked in your sleep and said some very interesting things..." Landyn was trying not to let emotion in his voice, but he just sounded way too monotone. There was such a thing as trying too hard. I couldn't think of anything to see and as we pulled out of the driveway there was a lingering silence.

"What did you hear?" I asked quietly, looking down at my feet, ashamed.

"Enough," he stated coldly, eyes on the road. He was going faster than usual. I sighed. That wasn't good. I looked at him and saw his knuckles were even whiter than he normally was since his hands were clutching the wheel so tight.

"Landyn?" The car had stopped but we weren't at school. "Where are we?" I looked over and saw he was out of the car. My door opened and I stepped out. "Landyn, where are we?"

"We need to talk."

"It was just a dream, Landyn. It means nothing. This changes nothing between us."

"Danica, yes it does." He didn't wait for me to follow. He put me on his back as he ran deeper into the forest nearby where we had parked. I only breathed again when my feet were on solid ground. I fell to the ground, dizzy.

"Landyn?" He was standing in front of me, pacing.

"What did you dream?" he asked suddenly, stopping with his face mere inches from mine. I lost my breath out of shock. "Well?"

"It was nothing," I whispered. He threw his arms up and was twenty feet from me in a flash.

"Damn it, Danica! What was it? I heard enough to know it was about Jacob! 'Oh I love you, too. I don't deserve my little Jacob. He's sooo amazing!!'" he mocked sadistically. I shrunk into myself.

"I'm sorry. You left me! What was I supposed to do?" I asked him, crying.

"Why would I ever leave?" he asked, softening up.

"I don't know! I was so alone! And Jake was there for me! It was just a dream!" I was sobbing uncontrollably by now and I couldn't stop. I heard Landyn sigh and he was sitting beside me in an instant, still not touching me. Everything was too warm for my tastes: it meant Landyn wasn't holding me.

"Listen, I'm not ever going to leave you. If I'm not with you, that obviously means you're going to run into that mutt's arms."

"So you're only with me so Jacob won't have me. Nice," I muttered. "Can we just go?"

"Fine. But think about your dream first and don't leave out a single detail."

I sighed and did as he said. He cringed the whole time and then the brilliant coolness returned when his arms wrapped around me. I had missed the feeling so much and it had only been a short time since I had last felt his touch. By the time he was done dissecting my mind we were standing still, holding each other in our arms.

"You're not leaving me, are you? Not ever?" he breathed, kissing my forehead.

"Never," I told him, kissing him softly.

"Ok," he choked. What was wrong? "I need to tell you something." Oh God. What?

"What?" I yelped, trying to sound normal but my voice squeaked.

"It's about your mother."

Oh Dear God what had he done?!