He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

Our First Fight, Lovely

"What about her? What happened?" I asked, trying to pull away from him so I could accuse him. Funny how very loyal I was to him. Note the sarcasm. He just held me in his arms, not letting go.

"It is impossible to save a dying human and let them live as that human they used to be. She was too far gone down the road to her death. I couldn't pull her back to the world of the living. I couldn't save her, but I could make her stay in this world. Which I did. I never promised she would be a healthy human. I chose my words carefully and you agreed. She's in the process of becoming a vampire as we speak."

"What?" I could barely find my voice. Did he just say he damned my mother?! "How could you?!"

"You want her to die?" His voice was mocking and I couldn't stand him. I turned away from him and pulled out my cell phone, dialing Jacob's number. He shouldn't be at school yet. "What are you doing?" I ignored him.

"Dani? What's wrong?" Jacob asked on the other side of the line, worried.

"Can you come get me? I'm assuming you know what I smell like, Jake." I laughed, but he must have thought I was accusing him.

"Listen. I'm sorry about that and--"

"Jakey, it's fine. Just please come get me. Pretty please?" I knew he wouldn't be able to say no. Calling him Jakey was the easy way.

"Yeah. Hang time, Danica. I'll be right there..." He was silent for a minute. "I love you." The line went dead. Ugh I wish he hadn't said that. I was becoming even more unsure of my commitment to Landyn.

"Just what was that about? We have one disagreement and you're walking out on me, just like that?" he yelled, advancing on me. I stepped back in tune with his steps.

"One disagreement? You stole my mother's life. I don't want to look at you right now!" I screamed and birds flew into the sky. Landyn looked really hurt but I wasn't in the mood.

"I was only thinking of you," he whispered, reaching out. I gave him the cold shoulder and waited a few seconds.

"Danica?" Jacob stepped into the clearing and I walked to him.

"Hey, Jakey-boy." I kissed his cheek and was shocked when Landyn didn't say anything. Jake's eyes lit up and he lifted me up and into his arms.

"I'll see you at school then, Marshall." Jacob glared at Landyn with a gloating smile and I bit back the urge to forgive Landyn. He stole my mother's humanity. And he didn't even consult me about it! Landyn cast a hurt glance at me and I shirked it off as Jacob ran me to school.

Werewolves run fast.