He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

Cover Your Ears, Children!

"Thanks for coming, Jake," I told him when he sat me down on the ground.

"Danica, I'd do anything for you and you know that. But what did he do?" Jacob asked. My expression must have worried him because he pulled me into his arms. It was warm, but pleasant. Almost as pleasant as Landyn's cold embrace.

"He made my mom a vampire, Jacob!" I cried, trembling as he held me as tight as he could. Luckily I could still breathe.

"Vampires are no good, Dani. I just wish you hadn't had to find out this way." He was so sincere.

"Me, too, Jakey." I forced my voice to even out, "But I had a dream."

"Really? What about?" I was lingering in his arms longer than necessary and I knew it.

"You," I giggled, feeling so comfortable with him.

"I always dream of you, Danica. And last night was no exception." He smiled.

"Well aren't you the sweetest?" A smile played across both of our lips.

"So...What was this dream about?"

"You're not so subtle, dear. But promise me you won't laugh at me." He promised and I told him the whole thing, no editing. He was my bff. That meant no secrets.

"I like that dream," he whispered to me. I blushed like mad, though I don't know exactly why.

"So do I, Jacob." What was I doing? What about Landyn? He had...He had betrayed me!

"You do?" he asked, shocked. I nodded, smiling softly. "I love you, Danica-Marie Hockings."

"Jacob, I--"

"Danica-Marie Marshall! What do you think you are doing?" Landyn growled, tearing me from Jacob's arms.

"What?!" Jacob yelled, horrified.

"I am not a Marshall! I am not! I'm Danica Hockings!" I yelled, clearing my name.

"You might as well be a Marshall! What else is there left for us to do other than perform a silly marriage ceremony?"

"What does that mean?" Jacob asked slowly, cautiously.

"Landyn, no," I begged. "It was a mistake!"

"A sexy mistake," he purred. "Jacob, I'm so sorry, but I got the flower from this one."

"What?!" he yelled, anger only rising from here.

"You got it wolf boy. Danica and I had sex yesterday!"

"He was drunk--He was pretending to be!" I tried to justify.

"Only when I tried the first time! The second time you knew I was sober and you went with it anyway!" Landyn chirped up, enjoying my torment.

"Danica...you really...you really did that?"

I started crying loudly.

"Damn straight she did," Landyn smirked.

I wanted to kill that man! I fell to my knees and heard Jacob swallow: a gulp.

"Danica, I..." he bit his lip. "I told you I'd wait. I still love you, no matter what." I looked at him, tears in my eyes.

"Too bad!" Landyn yelled, grabbing my arm and yanking me up roughly. I cried out in pain.

"Jacob!" I screamed, squirming.

"Let her go!" Jacob demanded. "She wants me!" I bit Landyn and ran to Jake as soon as his grip slipped.

"Danica! Our deal: you're breaking it!"

"You already broke it! You killed my mom! So go suck a radish for all I care!"

"Danica." I turned to Jacob, ignoring Landyn entirely.

"What?" I asked him softly.

"I'm in love with you." His lips found mine. I kissed him back for a moment and it felt so right...

But of course I had to ruin it: I thought of Landyn. I was about to stop this whole thing when I was pulled from Jake yet again.