He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

She Has You Whipped

As we walked at my pace, I watched his every movement carefully. He wasn't someone I was going to drop my guard around. He seemed to have a barrier put up between us and all the other students in the hall. Normally I was shoved to my classes, but we walked right through them, slipping past without the slightest contact.

Well, that is, until Jacob came.

"Hey, Dani. Who's this clown?" he asked, pulling me over to him by the arm. He wasn't very gentle about it either so I was rubbing my arm furiously against the pain.

"Um, Landyn," I said absentmindedly, focusing on my arm. "Be gentle with me!"

"Sorry about that," he said softly, not looking at me. His full attention was focused on my guest. "I don't like him."

"Why? You haven't even met him, Jacob." I, on the other hand, had reason to judge him.

"I can tell. He's trouble, Danica." That wasn't good. He never called me my real name. "Please. Be safe, for me." I nodded, kissing his cheek.

"I'll be fine. I know how to smash a person's nose into their brain." I smiled, trying to ease his worry. He gave me a funny look before remembering just who it was that he was talking to.

"My brave little Danica," he remarked slyly, kissing my forehead. "Do you think I could walk you home just in case?" He was really that worried about me?

"Jacob, there is nothing to be afraid of. But, if it will make you happy, fine. Just don't stress yourself over this, ok? You don't need gray hairs in that lovely hair of yours!" I ran my fingers through his hair. He did have really nice hair.

"You only love me for my locks!" he accused, embracing me and laughing into my hair as he kissed the top of my head. "But really now, I'm walking with you to your class, alright?" I nodded and pulled him over to Landyn.

"Who's the straggler?" Landyn asked from the wall he was leaning on. I think maybe he liked leaning on walls a bit much. Jacob scoffed at him.

"Jacob-Michael Blair. Charmed, I'm sure," he snorted.

"I think you need better perception skills," Landyn retorted. "Landyn-James Marshall." He held out a hand and Jacob looked at it. It was a "You're joking, right?" look.

"Like I'd ever lay one finger on vermin like you," he scoffed.

"Jacob-Michael!" I scolded, glaring. He sighed.

"Fine." He shook Landyn's hand grudgingly.

"She has you whipped," Landyn remarked, smirking. Jacob ripped his hand from Landyn's and turned to me.

"Can we just go, Dani?"

"What a childish name," Landyn muttered, standing on my right side while Jacob walked into place at my left. I ignored Landyn.

"Naturally. Though I wish you weren't so stressed out," I whispered to him, pleading.

"Too late for that. I'm sorry." He glared at Landyn. Landyn smiled innocently and waved at him angelically. He tore his gaze from him and back to me. We got to the door and he turned to me. "I hate to leave you alone with him, darling, but I have to go to my class. I'll see you at lunch." He kissed my forehead. "Be a dear and make sure that you stay out of harm's way for the rest of the day." He had heard of my spill obviously.

"I'll try," I said softly, hugging him. He looked torn as he walked away reluctantly and I sighed. I was causing him so much trouble and pain...

"He is a persistent one, isn't he?" Landyn said more to himself than me.

"That's why I love that guy." I smiled and walked into class just as the bell rang.

"And that's why he keeps trying," he muttered, amused.

I ignored that last comment.