He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

It Takes Guts

"Landyn...I wish you hadn't been eavesdropping," I told him, not able to look at him.

"Me, too," he muttered.

"Landyn, we just made up! Come on, he's been my friend forever, so is it really that strange?" I asked him, glancing at him. I wish I hadn't: he looked so sad...

"No, but...you said I wouldn't lose you and now I'm not so sure. He's right, you know. The wolf is right."

"About what?"

"It'd be better for you...to be with him," he whispered and I glared at him before smacking him across the face. He looked stunned. I started crying.

"Don't say that!" I demanded, sobbing. "I want to be with you!" I watched as Landyn's hand flew to the red mark on his cheek.

"Danica, you didn't have to hit me," he told me calmly.

"I don't like this! Why are you talking like this? Acting as though I don't love you! You heard me, didn't you? I told him I love you more," I sobbed, looking away so he couldn't see my cry. My shoulders where still shaking. Why am I so dramatic sometimes?

"I know, but you shouldn't." I glared at him, mad. "No, that's not it. I mean, it would be...healthier for you. I'm dead and he's not. His heart still beats and I can't say my heart beats, not even for you. I can't say you're my life or I'd give up my life to save you because I don't have a life to give! I can't even say you're my soul; I don't have one!"

"Shut up. You do, too."

"What makes you so sure?"

"Because you are sweet and amazing and if you didn't have a soul you would be an evil jerk whom I hate. I love you, Landyn, so therefor you have a soul."

"Remind me not to get you started," he uttered dryly.

"Stop. Please."

"Then stop crying." He kissed my cheek.

"Then stop talking like this. I hate it."

"Okay, but if you ever want Jacob and not me, tell me. I'll understand. I won't give up, but I'll wait by the sidelines for him to screw up and then you can run back into my arms."

"Not happening."

"Just wanted to let you know."

"Let's just go to class," I sighed.

"I love you," he smiled.

"You better for what you're putting me through."